World of Tanks 30v30 mode Frontline hits test server

Free-to-play tank shooter World of Tanks [official site] today launches a new 30v30 mode on its test server. Frontline mode sees 60 tanks throwing down, one team attacking and trying to push forward to capture and unlock new areas of the map, while the other tries to fend them off. The regular World of Tanks maximum is 15v15 so 30v30 is a big step up, so the map gets bigger to match. New areas will open as points are captured, becoming up to nine times the size of a regular WoT map. More war!

Here’s what Wargaming say about Frontline:

“Frontline is going to be 30v30, with five-man-strong Platoons, all fighting in Tier X vehicles (medium/heavy tanks, TDs and arty) and Tier VIII light tanks. The latter is a temporary restriction caused by the technical nuances of testing. Eventually, the mode will switch to Tier X vehicles of all classes. And there’s no way on earth you could fit them all on a 1 km2 map. So, we’re introducing 9 km2 battlegrounds, divided into nine sectors, with one side playing in attack and the other in defense. Each stage unfolds on a certain territory. In attack, you are fighting for control over it. In defense, you’re tasked with preventing enemies from capturing it.”

Wargaming have teamed up on Frontline with Bongfish, an Australian Austrian studio who are genuinely named Bongfish.

If you fancy a crack yourself, swing up by to sign up for the Sandbox. Frontline is hitting the Sandbox first because the scale changes a lot for World of Tanks and Warming want to see how it works out. This is a prototype, not its final form.

This here new dev diary gabs about Frontline and the return of WoT’s Sandbox:

1. Ghostwise says:

No way this thing works. It’s so going to tank.

• Koozer says:

You’re treading old ground there.

• Ghostwise says:

What can I say, I have turret syndrome.

• BooleanBob says:

Nobody I know gives AFV (A Flying Vuck) about this game. I’m perfectly happy to write if off on armourcdoctal evidence.

2. Vedharta says:

Its Sandbox, which is always used by WG as their ‘try out crazy stuff’ environment (this is a step further out then even the normal test server).

As such don’t expect this to hit the main server as is or anytime soon!

I do have to say, 30v30 on larger maps is something that would make me reinstall WoT!

As for now my WoWS Crack Addiction will keep me going.

3. Cvnk says:

Man I had a blast (no pun intended) with this game during beta. I wish I had stuck with it. When I tried playing again a year or two later I was so lost in all the new maps that I just felt like a liability all the time and gave it up.

4. Lord of Beer says:

WoT was too campy for me with the unrealistic spotting system and single life for each map.
    War Thunder is much better, but its getting stale now with the grind for BR4.0+ vehicles (even with premium). This kind of mode on War Thunder would be nice to see.

• battles_atlas says:

If you found it too campy a while back it might be worth trying again – for a while TDs dominated but they’ve been hugely nerfed over the last year, both in capabilities and the XP they generate. Perhaps too much – there are very few TDs in top tier battles currently, except the one terrible player in every battle who insists on playing the JgPz E100.

5. IncredibleBulk92 says:

Shame it’s restricted to Tier 10 tanks, it takes a long time to grind up to those levels. I got bored of the grind at around Tier 7 and apparently it doesn’t exactly get faster.

• Kohlrabi says:

Tier 10 is not worth it. I had the most fun in Tiers 4-8. The later tiers are as grindy as the earlier ones, only that the grind is much slower. In addition it’s more tailored towards camping, because the repair costs are so high that you have to avoid taking damage at all cost. Also, lots of players will shoot gold ammo, which does not guarantee a hit, but can make angling the armor pretty much pointless on some tanks.

• battles_atlas says:

The costs of tier X are only really an issue if you’re playing for free. There was an economy rebalancing a while ago and its now perfectly feasible to make money at tier X. And the blight of gold shell spam is an issue at all tiers. The real problem with tier X is Wargaming’s policy of making the newest released tech tree having an OP tank at the top of it, to encourage players to grind to it. It then dominates for the next year until its nerfed. Now though that the release of new trees has slowed this has become less of an issue.

AutonomyLost says:

New Jersey?

7. Ghostwise says:

I just wanted to add that, yes, *somebody* liked the Yoko Kanno joke.