Planet Coaster’s Spring Update brings Go-Karts, crimes

When I played Theme Park with my brother, he’d ask me to hire dozens of mascots so he could watch thugs roll in to beat up the pogoing teddy bears. It’s the small things in life, y’know. Planet Coaster [official site] today celebrates the joys of crimes with the addition of pickpockets and vandals, and security guards to thwart them. Also arriving in today’s Spring Update are Go-Karts and other new rides and coasters, along with exciting options for ‘Duelling’ coasters which launch in sync. Here, have a peek in this trailer marking the update’s launch:

So, new rides! We’ve got Go-Karts, a new tracked ride where, neatly, drivers do actually race a little bit – it’s not one stock animation you’ll see over and over. A big ol’ Big Wheel is in, the new Elixir Machine treats players like chemicals in need of violent shaking, and the ZoZo is a gentle vintage rocket ride. Three new coaster types have arrived too, the Trident, Bakasura, and Steel Hydra.

As for crimes, they come in several types. Pickpockets are folks who come intending to steal, while any sufficiently unhappy teen or adult might flip out and become a vandal trashing benches or bins. To counter these, security guards are now here. They can spot, chase, and boot out pickpockets, or you can force ’em to eject someone you simply suspect of crimes (no justice in theme parks). They’ll kick vandals out too. Their presence also deters littering.

Beyond visible big features, the Spring Update also brings the ability to rebrand rides to revitalise their prestige, blueprints supporting up to 4,000 scenery pieces and even multiple rides, options to make scenery pieces and certain rides non-colliding so they dont block blueprints, new scenarios, new coaster blueprints, over 150 new scenery pieces, more sound effects, UI tweaks, and bug fixes.

Hit update 1.2’s patch notes for full details.

I didn’t get on with Planet Coaster because its precise, detailed-oriented tools are antithetical to how I create, but I do still admire the game – and especially what some players can build with it. Go on, make cool parks with these new features for me to gawp at.

1. Ducce says:

What is it with this game? I can´t quite put my finger on it… The fiddleness? Fineckytimess?

• SBLux says:

It is a fantastic creative tool. So I would say it is the creativityness.

Mungrul says:

The tools are awesome, but when I picked up the game, I eventually put it down because it felt a bit soulless.

Say what you want about Molyneux today, but back in the day his games had a certain British humour to them that made people warm to them.
    And that warmth seems to be completely missing from Planet Coaster. It seems to be missing those little flourishes of silliness that made other games in the management genre stand out, such as Bloaty Head in Theme Hospital.

In short, it feels overly-safe and focus-grouped.

• battles_atlas says:

So many options! So little motivation to use them!

The devs appear to have entirely misunderstood the lineage.

• Ethaor says:

Agreed. I love the idea, but I can’t play for long, I just can’t succeed to jump in the game like other tycoon games.

Probably because the management aspect, which is my main interest, feels like something that’s been added on the side for good measures.

It is a creative tool more than a game.

• Blackcompany says:

That’s Frontier: paint by numbers. No creativity. No soul. Same problem plagued Elite: Dangerous.

They can design systems. They just can’t turn those cold, lifeless systems into Actual Games.

3. Thirdrail says:

YES. YES. SO MUCH YES.

I remember when they announced Planet Coaster, the first thing I did was go check to make sure there would be racing go-karts, like in the RCT games. There were none. That is the only reason I have never bought the game. Someone is finally about to get my money!

4. April March says:

Antithetical is such a weird word. I was pretty sure it was written wrong in the article, but I read it carefully and I’m sure this is how it’s spelled. Perhaps my brain confused it with anti-ethical, but I think it’s all those Ts put together.

On topic: yay, crimes!