Zeboyd’s Cosmic Star Heroine finally blasts off

Cosmic Star Heroine [official site], the new retro-styled RPG from Cthulhu Saves the World developers Zeboyd Games, has finally arrived. Citing Chrono Trigger and Phantasy Star as RPG inspirations, Cosmic Star Heroine tells the tale of a superspacespy who goes rogue to fight a conspiracy she uncovers. Zeboyd’s games are good stuff, so this it’s grand to see this out, even if it is a few years later than planned during its 2013 Kickstarter. Here, check out the launch trailer:

That’s Alyssa L’Salle, a top agent of the Agency of Peace & Intelligence who uncovers terrible truths. Burned by the Agency, she jaunts across the galaxy recruiting a party to fight back, duffing up so many monsties in turn-based combat.

Zeboyd’s retro RPGs always have a polish and consistency which makes them stand out, makes them quite look like forgotten 16-bit games magically uncovered in the modern day. But nope, it’s mostly the long, hard work of two chaps (drafting help from HyperDuck to pump the soundtrack too). The duo had once planned to release Cosmic Star Heroine in 2014 but sheesh, look at what they have done.

A 20% launch-week discount brings Cosmic Star Heroine down to £8.49/11,99€/$11.99 on Steam. It’s only on Windows right now, with Mac and Linux versions to follow.

From this site

1. Talahar says:

I haven’t regretted backing CSH one bit. As a backer, I was able to play beta builds, and even then the game showed great promise. Can’t wait to get into the full game. Also, the soundtrack by Hyperduck is EXCELLENT.

• Kaeoschassis says:

Soundtracks by hyperduck generally are.

Anyhow, somehow had no idea this was a thing. Will definitely be looking into it!

johannsebastianbach says:

Please tell me you’re going to have a WIT on this

3. smeaa mario says:

I hope this one offers a certain degree of freedom and roaming around rather than just making you walk on a straight line and fight whatever enemies the game has already packed up for you.

• Themadcow says:

In a world of games full of open world adventures, I think there’s space for a bit more linearity. FFVII was pretty linear, Suikoden was pretty linear… hell, pretty much 90% of great classic RPG’s have a fairly linear progression. You might have games like Wizardry VI or even Bards Tale which give a more open environment, but ultimately you’re completing dungeons in a fairly A-Z fashion.

At the moment I’m playing FFXV and, yeah, it’s kind of open world but GOD DAMN it feels like a waste of my precious gaming time when I’ve spent 5 hours just cleaning up random side quests without moving on the main plot

• draglikepull says:

Complete agreement from me. I’d like to see more RPGs that focus on telling a good, linear story rather than padding out the run time with a world full of busy work. It’s a big reason I’ve really enjoyed the recent Shadowrun and Banner Saga games.

• smeaa mario says:

I get your point. And of course a great story is top priority in an rpg. Yet I always want, as I said above, “a certain degree of freedom”. It doesn’t have to be a vainly open world where you are better off just sticking to the main story. There can still be a little bit of discovery and only a moderate amount of optional grinding.

A great example is that famous rpg-maker game Laxious Power (the rpg-maker 2003 original, not the weird sequels). That game had so many secrets and lots of things to do. All the while the story kept remaining relevant. And you never felt like you were wasting time.

However, when the game just draws a line for you, wants you to strictly follow it, puts a finite number of prescripted enemies on that line, and ultimately asks you to deal with them, where exactly is the fun in that? In most games (of course not in all of them), especially and particularly in an rpg, the freedom to stray from the predetermined path and find something interesting in return means all the world to me. I mean, I could as well be seeing an episode of a tv series or a movie rather than pretending I have some control over what is happening in that screen.

4. draglikepull says:

I backed this on Kickstarter and it’s looked great for a while now, but it’s a shame about the timing with Persona 5 released just a week ago. I’d have to guess a fairly large chunk of CSH’s target market is knee-deep in Persona right now (I know I am).

DantronLesotho says:

Day 1 purchase for me. Zeboyd always has a great quality to their work and I am happy to support and play their games.

6. April March says:

On the one hand, this is exactly what I like.
    On the other hand, so is Breath of Death, and I haven’t played it even though I’ve owned it for like five years.
    Oh well. I’ll surely buy this, someday. Maybe even play it!

• Kitsunin says:

Really couldn’t get into Breath of Death or Cthulhu Saves the World, feels like Zeboyd has just gotten so much better since then (in particular I freaking love that they’ve done away with random encounters completely), OtRSPoD 3 was their first game I thought was great, and since then #4 and now this have been spectacular.

Comment on this story