Time-looping murder puzzler The Sexy Brutale is out

Every day, the guests of casino mansion The Sexy Brutale are elaborately murdered by their hosts. Every day, the guests are reborn and murdered anew. Every day is the same day. Well, until we start meddling. I really groove on the sound of time-looping murder mystery The Sexy Brutale [official site], where each day unfolds in real time with the same murders. The mystery isn’t who’s causing them but how to stop them, figuring out how across days how to thwart the impending murders. Groundhog Day but less intent on pashing with Andie MacDowell. And now it’s out, launched yesterday.

So! Something strange is afoot at The Sexy Brutale, and players wade in as a priest who’s not entirely present. Sneaking, eavesdropping, investigating, and meddling, Lafcadio Boone will need to figure out how to stop the many murders while dodging supernatural powers. Events repeat the same every day, characters following the same routines, so his knowledge builds up and if he muffs up a murder, hey, he can always rewind time or start the day over. Along the way, he gains new skills from solving murders too. In concept, this sounds splendid.

It’s your damn fault, reader, that I am writing this rather than playing and seeing for myself right now. Our John tells me The Sexy Brutale is on his list so perhaps he’ll tell us all Wot He Thinks. Me, I’ll give you your damn content.

The Sexy Brutale is out for £14.99/19,99€/$19.99 on Steam and GOG. It’s made by Cavalier Game Studios with Tequila Works.

1. Kefren says:

I used to love Killed Until Dead (an old game about spying on people in a mansion, working out who was the killer and why, then confronting them – they’d always be in the same place at the same time). link to thehouseofgames.org

And that was back when it took over five minutes to load scenes from an audio tape.

Anyway, that history makes this game more appealing to me.

2. Cross says:

Can confirm that the game is well worth your attention.

3. Edgewise says:

Sounds a lot like the board game Time Looper. From the title of this post, I suspect the author is aware of that. Great and original game, that.

• Elisianthus says:

Out of curiosity, because if not there is a new game I need to go find, are you thinking about Tragedy Looper instead?

• Edgewise says:

Hey, thanks for correcting me so politely. Yes, you are right.

4. Freud says:

It looks fantastic and the concept looks interesting. It’s going on my buy eventually list.

5. RobbieTrout says:

Looks good. Wish I could buy it, but I don’t do Steam.

Was all excited about the “Full House” physical version until I learned it was PlayStation only. If they bring out a physical version for PC, I’ll snap it up.

• buschap says:

It’s available on GOG, if your objection is DRM rather than digital-only.

• Tigris says:

here the link to gog: link to gog.com

You can buy games without their launcher and as mentioned DRM free.

• Alice O'Connor says:

Handily, the post you have commented on includes a link to buy it on GOG.

• RobbieTrout says:

Ah, thank you all. I’ve never had any dealings with GOG and thought they were more or less the same as Steam. My objection isn’t to DRM as such, but to the “leasing” concept — if I pay for something, I want to own it outright.

Right, I’m off to GOG!

6. Unclepauly says:

It sort of sounds like one of the old Hitman levels where all the NPC’s were on like a clockwork loop, but instead of being the hitman you are trying to find the hitman. Pretty cool concept if I say so myself (I do).

• Jac says:

Yeah this sounds great, although from reading other reviews it sounds more like a straight up one solution puzzle box rather than a reverse hitman sandbox type thing (someone please make this).

Looking forward to a WIT.