Everspace warping out of early access in May

Roguelikelike space shooter Everspace [official site] will leave early access and properly launch on May 26th, developers Rockfish have announced. (You might now Rockfish from the Galaxy on Fire games on pocket telephones.) If you dug the sound of Everspace when Alec had a play last year and thought you might have a crack when it was done, make a note. Or if you’re already onboard, hey, the last big pre-launch update has arrived to add a mysterious alien race, full functional cockpit views for all ships, new upgrades, and other odds and ends.

Rockfish sum up update 0.7 thusly:

“In the latest update, players will encounter the remnants of a mysterious alien race known only as ‘The Ancients.’ Ruins built by the technologically-advanced race hold teleporters that work as shortcuts, letting players skip some locations on their journey. The ruins also contain valuable Glyphs, which function similarly to the previously introduced Sub-Routines but with far more fantastical effects, affecting overall playstyle immensely. Getting these Glyphs will not be an easy task: players must first confront the mysterious Ancients themselves.

“Functional cockpit displays have also been added for all player ships. In addition to extant HUD elements, players will now be able to see the component damage overview of their ship, as well as information about locked targets. With this addition also comes an option for purists to turn off the HUD elements entirely in first person mode and rely solely on cockpit instrumentation.”

Full patch notes are this-a-way if you want ’em (and still there even if you don’t, really).

Everspace is currently in early access on Steam and GOG.

If you came in here simply to see some pew pew spaceships, hey, here’s a trailer from a couple months back after Rockfish added some new ships. Pew pew!

Drib says:

I found this game too difficult. I always die in the first or second sector.

That said, it certainly looks pretty for a roguelike and for EA.

• Baines says:

I had a similar problem. It just wasn’t fun. You launch a ship, fly through one sector, then get jumped by five enemy ships that tear your little starter apart. Even if you survive, you’ve likely taken damage, and the next area will likely jump you with eight enemies if you try to explore.

I’d guess the game was probably easier at one point, but refining it with a dedicated core base of players (and devs that themselves have continued to play) has raised the starting difficulty. It probably doesn’t help that the game has perma-unlocks that give you increasingly more capable starting buildings, as again you end up with people giving feedback who already have everything unlocked.

And while I can’t say it is true specifically for Everspace, with such games generally saying anything about the starting difficulty in such games generally leads to “git gud” style dismissals (or the kinder “keep playing and it gets easier”.)

• Rockfishgames says:

Hi, you will be relieved to hear that we added an easy difficulty mode a few versions ago :)

Cooper says:

I often wonder how much early access leads to this kind of situation.

Wherein the devs have been balancing the game for a core group of players who have bought into the game early, and have spent a lot of time with the game, and so are asking for things to be harder / more complicated. Which ends up placing the difficulty level too high for a more general audience.

I can think of a few EA games that have poor difficulty curves (or just difficulty cliffs) that might be down to responding to EA players without testing on newbies enough…

• Blackcompany says:

This very issue is killings literally Dangerous right now.

• Pogs says:

I play it on easy at the moment to leveling my ship up some. Thats fun enough. I tried it on normal same as you when I started and just got trashed. I’ll try it on normal again soon… I’m not proud ;)

2. Ghostwise says:

Looks like it’s been a pew-pew sort of day.

3. Gothnak says:

I’m in the market for the latest Privateer style game is it Elite Dangerous? I don’t fancy playing PvP at all, and i got Rebel Galaxy in the latest Humble bundle which is ok, but the combat isn’t really dogfighty enough.

Any recommendations? Old games are also fine as i tend to wait for stuff to go on sale anyway these days. :)

• subactuality says:

Elite Dangerous definitely does scratch some of that Privateer itch, and it has pretty satisfying “dogfighty” combat, certainly much more so than Rebel Galaxy. I’ve played it exclusively offline (not interested in PVP at all either) and I’ve been very satisfied by it. The gameplay loop is nothing earth-shakingly different or unusual, so I get most of my enjoyment out of the feeling of immersion and attention to little details – especially the sound design, which is absolutely incredible.

4. Mumbles says:

I’m a little curious how a game can go from version 0.7 to 1.0 within a span of a month. That seems like a rather drastic leap.

That said, consider me very interested. I’ve been eyeing this game ever since it hit the EA scene, but I don’t buy unfinished games as a rule. Let’s hope it’ll be as good as I’ve hyped it in my mind. I’ll be waiting for reviews of the complete product.

• Gothnak says:

Well, any game can go from 0.X to 1 at any point. The X isn’t a representation of how close to 1 it is, it’s more a reflection that the game has moved on from 0.X-1.

Much like released games often go to 1.1->1.2->etc, but you never get to 2. :).

5. Barberetti says:

Hmm … looks like you can turn off the space snow, so I’m now interested. Will check out a playable demo if one gets released, then take it from there.

6. raptir says:

Just one thing to note… Rockfish was founded by the same people as Fishlabs, who developed the Galaxy On Fire games, but it is a different company.

7. Stinkfinger75 says:

Can anyone confirm HOTAS support? I’ve been wanting something more arcadey than ED, this looks like it might fit the bill.

• derbefrier says:

It does not support joysticks sadly.

• Det. Bullock says:

WHAT!?
        Is it in the sense of “you have to fiddle with options a lot and bind everything manually” (like House of The Dying Sun) or in the “supports only 360 controllers” sense?
        If it’s the latter that’s really a dick move, it’s a space shooter, gorramit!

• Barberetti says:

Aaaaaand interest to zero. Cheers for the info.

MajorLag says:

Seriously!? Someone released a space shooter without joystick support?

• rusty says:

It really doesn’t need stick support. It plays marvellously without it. WASD and mouse are all you need. It’s very much like playing Descent.

• haldolium says:

To be fair though, Everspace has more of a 3rd person shooter feel to it as some “I am in space”-like sim. It feels very nice with mouse/keyboard and offers tight controls.

But there are plenty of threads on the Steam forums requesting HOTAS/joystick support and even a workaround script, so maybe support will be implemented.

• Det. Bullock says:

It doesn’t matter if it has a “third person feel”, Rogue Squadron 3D and Star Wars Starfighter had joystick support and those games cockpit visual was little more than an afterthought.

Not even full HOTAS support is necessary, generic non xinput support is anough usually as essentially every multiperipheral HOTAS allows software trickery to compensate for barebones joystick support.

• RubberbandAU says:

It doesn’t feel like it needs one, it plays more like Descent in that regard and a lack of joystick doesn’t get in the way of my enjoyment of it.

This from a flight sim guy who reaches for his joystick as soon as it’s needed. The wife endorsed this part of the post.

8. Flank Sinatra says:

You can play with a gamepad, but it’s a severe handicap. Mouse and keyboard are lightyears easier to aim and fly with. You do more lateral and vertical strafing than airplane like manuevers. It’s more like Descent than X-wing.

9. Haplo1274 says:

Is there a plan for dual sticks at some point?

MajorLag says:

“In the latest update, players will encounter the remnants of a mysterious alien race known only as ‘The Ancients.'”

…really? That’s the best you could do?