Have You Played… Battlefield 2142?

Long before Titanfall 2, Battlefield 2142 [official site] put mechs in the middle of large, multiplayer first-person battles. It also did those mechs about a tenth as well as Titanfall, but it had something else going for it…

It was called Titan mode and in it both teams fought to destroy a massive, flying, heavily-armoured warship belonging to their opponent. This meant launching assault pods at the Titan to get aboard, fighting your way through its corridors, and blowing up the reactor inside.

Which prompted the best part: destroying the reactor gave you 30 seconds before the ship exploded, killing everyone inside. Cue a frantic sprint back up to the deck of the ship and a dramatic basejump over the side as the thing burst into flames behind you. Whether you won or lost, it was always an exciting ending to the round – and feels like something Titanfall might have borrowed in its last-minute dropship escapes for losing teams.

From this site

1. VeritableHero says:

Really, really enjoyed this game. Defending the Titans with AA guns and then on foot when enemies boarded the ship? So cool. So fun.

2. Ethaor says:

Definitly my favorite BF game along battlefield 2. Problem is I just cannot play it, the skill level is way up high in the semi-pro hardcore fan base, I’m just cannon fodder.

3. Ushao says:

My buddies and I played so many rounds of Titan mode we even had procedures for different situations and loadouts. I really do miss having a big active community for it and wished they’d have gone further with the setting.

4. BathroomCitizen says:

I don’t wanna say a stupid thing, but isn’t it this game who introduced the Bane of all FPSs, namely tge dreaded “weapons locked behind xp” system?

Nauallis says:

Git gud brah.

Seriously though, the big upside to that system is that it encourages otherwise terrible players to keep playing, knowing they have more rewards coming up. I may or may not have been in that group.

Yeah, it sucks when the high-xp/high-level guns are better than the lower tier crap, and it’s certainly a balancing issue, but I’ve found a lot of the modern games just give more dynamic guns rather than overpowered ones, now.

• BathroomCitizen says:

Titanfall 2 goes around that by giving some of the best weapons in the game from the start. Unlocking new weapons just gives you sidegrades.

Still, I started gaming in the Doom and Quake era, so unlocking stuff through continued playing was something preposterous!

• Koozer says:

Battlefield 2 started it with alternative primary weapon rewards for each class, 2142 just developed it further. Then Bad Company came along and made you play without medipacks or ammo crates for 10 hours.

5. Bobtree says:

2142 is easily my favorite BF game. It had so many strategic angles of attack and fun things to do.

Sadly, EA bought DICE the next year, and the BF franchise has gone downhill ever since because EA put it on consoles and wants it to be a COD killer.

I would still buy a 2142 sequel, even a bad one, so long as they got the structure and toys right.

• dahools says:

I would buy a HD remake in the latest Frostbite engine (fresher textures and effects) keep the game the same add some better destruction on the Titans and sold, take my money.

Game was class, titan mode was the only way to play. Had to work together to clear them pesky corridors at the end and not be afraid of dying.

• syndrome says:

I loved 2142 to bits, tho I cannot help but imagine ALL THE NADES AND BUNNY HOPPING in those corridors if there was a remake :(

Anyways, I think that BF1 is the closest so far to 2142, it’s much better game than BF3 and (god forbid) 4. I like the prospect of DICE getting back to their roots.

Even if it doesn’t appear to be, especially thematically ofc, to me BF1 is just a notch away from 2142.

6. comic knight says:

2142 is my favorite BF game.

7. SirDeimos says:

Yes! So much. I loved how Titan mode offered two distinct phases of battle within a single game. You pound the ground in the first phase to cap silos in order to whither the enemy Titan’s shield, and then you assault/defend the Titan in the second phase.

Personally, I actually enjoyed the demo more because it didn’t have grenades or shields implemented yet, so the “Titan hallway” fights were more exciting than the stalemates that they turned into in the full game.

8. escooler says:

The only battlefield that I actually enjoyed – Its got great design, it pulls all the players together for the last 5/10 minutes of the game, some kind of cresendo, and as you mention everyone has to evacuate, most of those area control games run to a ticker, then cut to an abstract shot of the battlefield with a score table. Did they not try this mode again in one of the newer versions of the game?

9. Στέλιος says:

Everyone, Battlefield 2142 is not dead! The fantastic volunteers at the Revive project have been able to get some servers up and running again, with achievements, stat tracking unlocks, the whole thing! (same with Battlefield 2, by the way). I have been playing it incessantly over the last few weeks as I missed it back in the day in favour of Battlefield 2. Such a great game.
    There are usually at least a couple populated public servers and they have streamlined the installation with the patches to a single installation file with all the necessary redirects to the new servers.

10. CartonofMilk says:

I believe it might be the last MP FPS i tried getting into. The only one i ever played for a significant amount of time was Battlefield Vietnam. I guess i was hoping it would feel similar. Not sure why since it’s sci fi and all… walked away disappointed.

11. vahnn says:

Hams down the best BF game ever. Also hands down.

12. metaly says:

Favorite multiplayer game of all time, with Titan probably being my favorite multiplayer mode. Such terrific map design and pacing that made each round feel like an epic engagement with ebbs and flows.

Never got into Battlefield 4 since it seemed plagued with problems early on, but was always curious about the mode they eventually introduced that was supposed to be a riff on Titan, just with aircraft carriers. Still wasn’t optimistic that it would hold a candle to 2142’s version, though. The series post-2142 has felt like a very different experience for a different audience.

• Unclepauly says:

After all the patching and work done on BF4 it’s near flawless now. BF1 while looking great graphically and having an interdasting theme is barebones compared to BF4. There sadly isn’t anything comparable to Titan mode though I’ll give you that.

13. liquidsoap89 says:

The only answer when asked which BF game is the best.

14. Moonracer says:

I’ve been waiting patiently for a game to match or exceed that experience. Dust 514 clearly was inspired by 2142 but fell very short.

15. Xan says:

Yes I did, and it was fucking awesome.

It’s tied with Bad Company 2 as the best BF game for me.

16. Mojavi Viper says:

Best BF game of the series .

Comment on this story