Ricky and Morty: Virtual Rick-ality blazing to 20/4

April 20th is a day to get a little wacky, a bit goofy, to mellow out and trip to another world – because it’s when Rick and Morty: Virtual Rick-ality [official site] will come out. Finally I understand why the Internet is always saying “20/4 blaze it to the max, duuudes.” I’ve no idea how Internetnauts have known about this for so long, as the date was only announced yesterday, but hey ho. Made by Job Simulator developers Owlchemy Labs, Virtual Rick-ality is another kooky messing-with-stuff game, this time making cybergoggles see inside mega-ace cartoon Rick and Morty.

There you are, jacking in with your cybergoggs to become a clone of Morty. Exploring the Smith residence and Rick’s garage lab, you’ll get to dick about with stuff, help Rick with experiments, journey through portals to other worlds, solve puzzles, and generally lark about.

Rick and Morty co-creator Justin Roiland has dabbled in VR himself with his company Squanchtendo, releasing Accounting with Crows Crows Crows for free on goggs.

Virtual Rick-ality is coming to Vive and Rift goggs with motion controllers on April 20th. At what precise time will it be released on 20/4? I don’t know. Steam usually does 6pm.

It has a Plumbus:

But does it have Roy: A Life Well Lived?

Lars Westergren says:

“Accounting” was pretty brilliant, looking forward to this.

I’ve had a couple of “oh shit” moments in VR, the first was standing on the rickety bridge above a chasm in Waltz of the Wizard with the wind blowing around me. The second was getting down on my knees and putting my head in a guillotine in Accounting.

I’ve yet to have an “oh shit” moment in a VR wave shooter though, but I think the millionth such title was released on Steam this morning.

• Ooops says:

Yup. That guillotine moment in Accounting was the most intense experience I had in VR so far. It made me realise VR, if used properly, could create emotional reactions that would be near impossible without it.

• ColonelFlanders says:

My ‘Oh shit’ moment in VR was to pop my cherry on a racing game – Project Cars. I decided to plunge right into the Formula 1 style cars and HOLY fuck. The weirdeat thing was that my body kept trying to prepare for inertia that wasn’t happening, which sent a weird twingly sensation through my body (kind of like an orgasm sensation, but way less welcome).

2. Chentzilla says:

Reminds me of Virtual Springfield, except this time it’s really virtual :)

3. Seafoam says:

4/20 eyyyyyyyyyy!!!! Just like them I love it!

Also what is so special about having a plumbus? That’s like saying it has a vacuum cleaner or a lamp, everyone has one!

• Alice O'Connor says:

Uh, 4/20? When the ‘heck’ is that – the 4th of Heimtember?

• Seafoam says:

Oh silly me I mixed things up.
        I meant to say 2/40, aka a Tebibyte,
        which has “2 to exponent 40” bytes. The game will take A LOT of space on your computer.

• Solidstate89 says:

It’s Smarch, thank you very much. It is a month with very stupid weather.

4. Bull0 says:

I want a non VR version of this and I want it NOW. VR makes me chunder.

• Sakkura says:

If it’s anything like Accounting (their previous VR thing), it just wouldn’t work without VR.

• skeletortoise says:

Based on this article, Crows Crows Crows don’t seem to be involved with this. Sounds like Job Simulator would be the point of reference.

• upswimsdn says:

I checked out the site for Squanchtendo, and it looks like Accounting was a collab between Squanchtendo and Crows Crows Crows.

• Hideous says:

Have you tried any (proper, non-mobile) VR headsets after the Oculus Rift DK1?

I’m sensitive enough to motion sickness that I can get a bit ill while driving a car, but as long as the games are properly made (no artificial movement), I can play stuff on my Vive perfectly well without feeling bad at all.

5. skeletortoise says:

Ha, do you all say 20/4 as well as write/read it that way? I suppose so, but there’s something fairly amusing to me about someone saying 24 as opposed to 420. I guess I assumed it was a joke/expression that defied date conventions, because otherwise the translation of it would sound unacceptably off.

• ColonelFlanders says:

It’s just Alice being the filthy stubborn Brit that she is. We do say 4/20 here in the UK too, although it isn’t quite as much of a thing here as it is in the US

• skeletortoise says:

I wouldn’t call it much of a thing here either, mostly an excuse for dumb jokes unless you’re real deep into that “culture”.

• ColonelFlanders says:

Well, as a chronic Chronic smoker, you could argue that I was into that culture, but if I ever unironically say “420 blaze it lol” or any variation thereof then you have express permission to end my life by any means necessary.

• skeletortoise says:

Yeah, that’s pretty much the crux of it. I think you’d need a pretty profound lack of self awareness to say it without a trace of irony.

• ChrisGWaine says:

We certainly do all say “twenty slash four”

• ZippyLemon says:

Aha. Ahaha. AHAHAHAHAHA.

• skeletortoise says:

That is how you generally speak dates though, is it not?

phuzz says:

We say all dates that way round, as does pretty much every other country, that way you have the smallest unit (days), followed by the medium unit (months), followed by the largest (years). Sometimes this is called littl-endian.
      Alternatively, in Japan they use YYYY/MM/DD, (big-endian), which makes more sense, as it’s how we record time (HH:MM:SS, from large to small).
      US’ians use what we call middle-endian which just makes no sense.
      As for 420, some people outside the US have heard of it, it’s not really a thing though.

lurkalisk says:

Its primary usage is in reference to the time of day, not a date. So it should usually be the same as it is in the US (or sometimes 16:20).

6. Rindan says:

You guys are ruining a perfectly good American centric joke. Alas, 420 jokes are going to be pretty hard to really get without 420 being a police code or a backwards ass date system. It’s interesting how different the US is Europe when it comes to weed. The US has a really weird relationship with the stuff. The US seems waaaay more casual about its usage, while at the same time far more inclined to beat someone senseless if they use, while at the same time blazing ahead in legalizing it faster than most.

• snajk says:

4:20 is not a police code and has nothing to do with the date. It’s origin is well known. Some students at a high school met at that time everyday to look for a pot stash and eventually it became code for smoking, then the Grateful Dead spred it around the country and eventually the world.

Regarding the casualness of weed in Europe it differs hugely among the different countries. It has been practically legal in Holland since the seventies for instance.