What are we all playing this long weekend?

Friday and Monday are bank holidays in the UK, remembering the anniversary of us sicking up a load of Cadbury Creme Eggs. No one remembers how this cycle started but tradition is tradition. Because we’re festive sorts and don’t want to create any work for those hard-done-by bankers, we’re taking the two days off. We’re away! Holiday! The weekend is already here! And that’s why you won’t hear much from us until Tuesday.

What are you playing this long weekend? Here’s what we’re clicking on.

Adam: EVE Online. It’s finally happened and I’m on the inside. Currently I’m just drifting around gathering stories and fact-checking some of the stories I’ve already heard, but I might be in for the long-haul. I’ve been impressed by how well the new player experience lowered me into the waters, letting me become familiar with a whole bunch of different aspects before leaving me in the crumbling shark cage, ready to become chum.
Alec: I’ll be continuing to locate The Signal From Tolva, which though a game created by murderers is also one that highly effectively blends combat with zen exploration, in particularly delectable environments that blend the brutalist with the scenic. I know I would say that, because it’s co-created by my RPS co-founder Jim. but I’m also saying it because I mean it.
Alice: I’m a bit late but planning a good spring clean. I’m especially looking forward to the bathroom, as I do enjoy the sensation as high-friction scale giving way and leaving slick clean tiles. I’ll also tidy up my Steam list of games-in-progress, polishing off Night in the Woods, the many minor false endings of Nier: Automata (ps- I adore this game in many ways), Void & Meddler, and maybe a few others. I’m also wrapping up visuals for when Cara and I play songs at an event in Edinburgh next Friday. Or I’ll hop on a train tomorrow morning and see where I end up.
Brendan: I’m trundling through a new game of Stellaris, playing as a race of shelled space reptiles called the Tortals. They each live for about 150 years and they are chasing down the Utopian dream of an hyper-multicultural society where everyone is welcome to migrate. This federation we have set up is called the “Galactic Slop Pot”. So far we have four distinct races on the planets. However, human beings are one of them, and from what the Tortals have heard, these fleshy fellows don’t exactly “do” Utopia.
Graham: My Nintendo Switch finally arrived, which means I’ve been digging into Zelda: Breath of the Wild. I’ve just left the Great Plateau, the landmass that forms the game’s introduction, but I’ve been enjoying it from the first couple of minutes. It’s been a real pleasure to play one of these expansive, open games and not have to chew through endless cutscene skin and tutorial fat to get to something that tastes like meat.

John: My Easter holidays are going to be spent in a cold-fuelled rush of entertaining a two year old for whom all his usually activities are bloody cancelled. Stupid Jesus.

This will likely not leave a lot of time for games, but I do have a hefty pile of new releases that I want to take a look at. Currently trying to fathom The Sexy Brutale, which I’m hoping isn’t about to get too fiddly to be fun.

Philippa: This weekend I will be doing my usual thing of not playing videogames. Videogames get my whole week so I try to keep my weekends for outside things or for games I want to play exclusively as leisure activities. This weekend is a long one in the UK, bookended by Bank Holidays, so I think I’m going to try to spend those middle two days entirely away from screens. It’s not for a digital detox, just to stop myself frittering time away and reaching Monday only to think “but what did I do with that lovely time off”. The days either side I’ve not decided what to do with yet. Perhaps some of my own small nature-based projects.

But you, dearest reader, what are you playing?

1. VanDerSpar says:

Currently, I’m playing two quite opposite games in Yooka-Laylee and La Mulana.
    La Mulana is a pearl of the kind that I play for a few hours, then put away for a long time.
    Yooka-Laylee is a dear friend, when one have died the 50th time in La Mulana.

2. Avioto says:

I got Mr. Shifty and Cosmic Star Heroine for Easter, so I’ll be starting those. And going to continue with Bayonetta which I am enjoying a lot, very happy that one got a Steam release. And I am always playing PES 2017, currently in Master League with Barnsley on Superstar…It’s not going well so far, but it’s a lot of fun figuring out how to play with this team effectively.

3. caff says:

I have more Thimbleweed Park (excellent), GoNNER (it was on sale) The Sexy Brutale (something new and different) and Rocket League, because always Rocket League.

Happy Easter everyone :)

• criskywalker says:

I am also still playing Thimbleweed Park. I am probably halfway there and I don’t want it to end!

I also tried to play Fallout 4 again after many months. If I were not able to get into it this time, I was going to uninstall it. Surprisingly, I enjoyed it! I focused on the main quest, used the power armour and played a bit with the base building stuff and I think this is how it has to be played to be enjoyed.

And obviously always Rocket League! I think I’m getting better at aerials!

4. Spacewalk says:

I’m just getting into Tolva which is so the kind of game that I first wanted back in 2002. It’s pretty cool to finally see it realised.

5. bandertroll says:

Stellaris (50+ hours in one match, God, help me), L4D2 with friends, maybe Broforce and… Who knows, maybe there is time for closed beta of Quake Champions?

6. Aetylus says:

Altas Reactor, and re-firing up Wargame Red Dragon after watching some people having a crack at Normandy 44.

7. Vandelay says:

I will be dying a lot to the final ever final Dark Souls boss. Only had 2 or 3 real attempts and just about managed to get him down to his first heat up moment. That bastard has huge amounts of health and only limited windows where you can attack. I sometimes regret going for slow heavy weapons.

Also, I want to really dive into Stellaris. Picked up last weekend, but not had much time to give to it. My first game ended quite quickly as soon as pirates arrived and I realised I had no military force to stop them. I decided to ditch the game and start over, making sure I constructed some early ships for fighting. I’ve not even encountered any aliens yet.

And there is more Thimbleweed Park, which is a delightful blast from the past.

• cranium1 says:

Don’t worry about the pirates. They will just destroy a mining/ research station or two and then go back to their base. You can easily beat them with 6+ corvettes of your own.

8. LennyLeonardUK says:

I have just started The Sexy Brutale this very morning. After about 2 hours play I already like the look of it. Kind of reminds me of a more macabre version of Day Of The Tentacle.

I’m also about 10 hours into Nier: Automata so I hope to get some more quality time in with that over the holiday. I must admit that I haven’t been quite as taken in by it so far as others seem to have been. I like it because I like pretty much all Platinum Games work, but nothing has really pulled me in yet. I’m hoping that changes over the next 4 days.

And away from my PC I will also hope to get some more play time with Breath Of The Wild. A stunning game that has completely blown me away.

Happy Easter To Everyone.

9. Daymare says:

Rain World, retaining map progress after death and a bit more food are helping so much. *cough* and a guide on Steam *cough*.

Despite its hardcore nature it’s a nice game to play in short sessions, since you generally don’t live very long.

john_silence says:

Back to Battlefield 1 for the past week. I’m hooked again, like a hamster in a wheel. I’m thinking it’s a theatre of impotence for me. Life after life I’m setting myself up for failure and destruction, ever hoping this time I’ll find a way to avoid it. All the while meaningless numbers tick up. What a fucking trap. I’m fascinated and appalled in equal measures and can hardly control myself, what with the remarkable tactility of the thing.

If I manage to pull out I should try and finish Dishonored the first. Gauge my own interest in Dishonored 2 and Prey – or rather how pressingly I want them.

• criskywalker says:

You should try the Dishonored 2 demo on Steam! I love that demos are making a comeback.

11. Herzog says:

More Shadow Tactics. Poisoned Lord Yabu yesterday. Off to more adventures!

Reached the first village in Pillars of Eternity. Took that first elf as a follower. My character is a standard dwarf fighter. But with aristocratic background. Let’s see how it continues.

12. aircool says:

I’ve no idea what I’m going to play. It would be nice if there was something to drag me away from BF1 (I wonder if Planetside 2 is still well populated?).

Meanwhile, Bank Holidays are good for tackling the movie list. This weekend it will be ‘lost world’ style movies. First on the list is ‘She’, followed by ‘Lost Horizon’. We’ll play it by ear from then on.

13. Barberetti says:

I may continue my Daikatana session from last Saturday night. I got 30 minutes into it before my Dad phoned and interrupted / rescued me, and that was too soon for me to form any real opinion on it. Not sure how I feel about the save system yet. For those who don’t know, you can’t just save anywhere. You need “Save Gems” in order to do so, and these are scattered about the levels.

More than likely though, I’ll be playing The Signal From Tolva (great so far) and continuing work on my Minecraft mod!

• gabrielonuris says:

I think this advise will help you finishing Daikatana:

You can disable save gems from the options menu, and save everywhere, anywhere.

I finished it for the first time a couple months ago, and I really liked that game. In some levels it gives you a mildly Quake/Hexen vibe that for me is always welcome. Chances are high that after finishing it, you’ll gonna replay one of those games for nostalgia sakes; if not both.

• Barberetti says:

Thanks for the info. I’ll leave them enabled for now, but nice to know I can disable them if I feel like it!

As for the rest, it’ll be Hexen 2 if I have the urge for more, as I’ve had that one sat on my drive for years and haven’t played it yet. No such problem with Quake, as that’s my favourite game and I still play it regularly :)

14. dethtoll says:

A little bit of classic Doom. Also must get back into Demon’s Souls after not having touched it in days — I don’t want to completely detach from it yet again.

• Kaeoschassis says:

It’s so heartening that “classic doom” is nearly always SOMEONE’S response.

My answer was GOING to be “Distant Worlds: Universe. Still.” AGAIN but maybe I’ll poke through my doom folder and see what I haven’t finished. BTSXe2 has been trying very hard to call me back for weeks…

15. Blake Casimir says:

Ableton Live. Writing electronic music.

Oh wait, oops wrong site. Um. Stalker Call of Chernobyl while I wait for Lost Alpha Director’s Cut to release. In between Ableton sessions. ;)

16. Turkey says:

Picked up Thimbleweed Park and Paradigm a few days ago. It’s pretty bizarre to have two good point and click adventure games release so close to one another in 2017, but it happened.

17. PiiSmith says:

Hopefully not only the easter, family game, but also some Battlegrounds and Black Wake.

18. celticdr says:

I just had a session of my favourite game: Trying to get the RPS login to work so I can leave a comment on this page… Steam says that I have spent 21.5hrs playing this game :P

Seriously though – played Domina till the end, turns out what could have been a decent ludus simulator is marred by the obvious lack of save and strategy (the numbers seem pointless), shame as I really like that Sword & Sworcery aesthetic.

Might h(a)unt Day of Infamy again… I haven’t played it since it left beta and I find the shooty-shooty stab-fest paradoxically relaxing… except when I get pwned by a sniper.

19. Darth Gangrel says:

Risen 2 is becoming better, though I’ve had to google several things about the combat and other basic things that weren’t explained anywhere in the game.

Still, while Risen 1 is great in retrospect, Risen 2 is only good so far. Although, I haven’t played that much, mostly been exploring the island and have yet to visit the pirate’s den.

The Risen games are really great walking simulators, huge detail to surroundings and day/night cycle with great lighting effects.

• keefybabe says:

Yeah, 2 isn’t as good as one, but it’s still good. Mind you, it’s less broken than the first one.

20. Minglefingler says:

Planescape: Torment which I’m enjoying although it hasn’t fully grabbed me yet, plenty of time for that to happen though. Mind you, the constant attacks from hive thugs and the like is seriously annoying, I’d rather be able to explore Sigil in relative peace and quiet. I’m also trying to figure out which of the two contrary heating instructions on the shepard’s pie I bought from the local butcher is accurate.

• Atrak says:

There is no such thing as peace and quiet in Sigil, unless you’re a Dustman perhaps? Although the Harmonium do strive (some might say, pointlessly) for something along that line, ie. Law and order.

21. Monggerel says:

Playing through Bloodborne with a friendo (because he acquired a PS4. for free.), both of us Souls veterans, him having zero familiarity with BB and me having listened to an LP when the game first came out.
    The tension and paranoia of playing through DS 1 for the first time is back and absolutely delightful/hair-raising. Got jumped by a werewolf outta fucking nowhere, jumped off the couch & danced like a stung dipshit, having caught fire from a candle (lights on might kill the mood). Good times all around.

• Josh W says:

Bloodbourne by candlelight .. perhaps you could also light the room by bluewhite lanterns, or by sticking a burning branch out the window.

particlese says:

A friend threatened to cross the Atlantic and eat far too many eclairs with me – if I were to make it to the top 500 in Devil Daggers. I’m only at 532, but they’ve already bought a plane ticket, so I need to get crackin’. Respawning’s kinda the theme of the hour anyway, no?

Okay, okay, maybe not repeated spawning. The game has eggs and bunny hopping. How’s that for appropriate?

23. skeletortoise says:

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good game to leave my brain in idle while I listen to audiobooks/podcasts? Normally I’ll play 4X or other turn based things, but I’ve been finding they require too much conscious decision making and so I end up distracted. I’ve fallen back to Don’t Starve, which is okay, but I’m looking for other options.

• freedomispopular says:

Auralux might be good for that sort of thing. There’s a free version on mobile, along with a sequel, which is also available on Steam.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Stardew Valley is a damn near perfect podcast game.

I’ve also found the new Hitman to work well. Not on your first murder attempt (murdtempt?) obviously.

• LennyLeonardo says:

I have yet to play it, but you might try ‘Everything’? Apparently it even has an autoplay feature. Although snippets of philosophy might interrupt your podcast experience.

• acespade22 says:

MMO Farming, Put your Brain on auto pilot and grind

• malkav11 says:

Some things I play while podcast-listening:
      Monster Slayers – a deckbuilding roguelike where you are regularly making small decisions but nothing too stressful or intense.
      Hex: Shards of Fate – tough encounters might require more focus, as does deckbuilding, but once I have a good deck and am just farming the same dungeon or the Frost Ring Arena it can be pretty autopilot-y.
      Persona 3: Portable: obviously you want to be paying attention during the narrative beats and day to day time management, but when you’re grinding through a Tartarus run it can be pretty mindless. (Similarly, grindy parts in other JRPGs are a good fit.)
      Marvel Heroes or Diablo 3 (or any other Diablo-like where you have completed/don’t care about story and are repeating content for whatever reason).

• David Mitchell says:

American Truck Simulator is probably the obvious choice… but I’ve been listening to some audiobooks and radio while playing Dangerous Waters. Obviously only for when transiting vast distances of ocean (I don’t like using time compression) and not while tracking sonar contacts or firing (and avoiding) torpedoes. :)

Thulsa Hex says:

It is very much not a long weekend in the US, so I’m on the way to work as I type this. I am jealous, let me tell you.

Games-wise, I’m definitely going to finish up with NieR: Automata—possibly tonight. I reached ending “C” the other day, and boy was that route something. I plan to tie up a few loose ends before considering the apparent finality of “E”. It’s been a hell of a ride and I’ll be sad to see it go.

After that, I might pick up Bayonetta (again), or maybe it’s time to acquire Stellaris? I’ve been on a sci-fi kick, and coverage of the Utopia expansion (The Utopia Expansion sounds like a sci-fi novel) has my interest piqued once again.

Also, my Pandemic Legacy group gets back together tomorrow, after a bit of a hiatus. I think we’re in May or June? Either way, it kicked our asses the last couple of games and we’re desperate for a victory!

• Koozer says:

If it’s any consolation I’m in the UK and am still working, and will still be working tomorrow…

Thulsa Hex says:

Eeep. Well, I ended-up getting both Bayonetta and Stellaris/Utopia, since I found them at decent prices. I haven’t played any Paradox games before, so wish me luck with the latter.

As for Pandemic, we won our second game today (June #1) after a four-game losing streak. I’m glad because we really needed the morale boost.

25. Philopoemen says:

Underrail and Planescape Torment EE. Oh to tell twenty year old me that he was living my gaming peak…

• Kaeoschassis says:

Underrail is phenomenal. I’m still having trouble believing a classic iso rpg that good came out so recently…

• Philopoemen says:

I just discovered that Mercantile opens up different shop items and the completionist in me is having conniptions thinking I might have missed out on something…

Hard to believe it’s a labour of love – can’t wait for the expansion!

• Kaeoschassis says:

I was not aware of that, I don’t think I’ve ever put a single point in Mercantile.

Might actually try it on a smooth-talker character if I do another run-through, which I probably will (my default in any rpg is to make charisma my dump stat (somewhat similar to real-life)).

26. Zenicetus says:

As a USAian I can’t do much until the weekend, and will be away from home for part of that anyway. I’ll probably squeeze in a bit of Endless Space 2 early access fiddling. And then stare at the ME Andromeda game icon, and decide if I can bear spending more hours in an attempt to reach the ending.

It’s a love/hate relationship at this point. I’m finding a few things to like here and there, like the patter between Drack and Vetra on missions. But the rest is a slog. I really should finish it though, to have a complete opinion on the thing.

• malkav11 says:

If it’s a slog, quit. There is no shame in not finishing a game you’re not enjoying. Besides, you can always go back later if you find yourself interested again.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Finally finished Nier earlier this week and I can officially say this is my favourite game made by Platinum’s people since Okami (if you want to consider Platinum as Clover Studios 2.0.)

I ended up caving in and getting Persona 5 earlier this week and that is what I will be playing. Finally getting to the point on the game where it is giving me more freedom. Really enjoying the game so far. The characters are great! Everyone is so likeable and Kamoshida is such a good villain.

Never did play Virginia last weekend (sorry Caff!) but I will this weekend. I swear. It’s only two hours, how can I not find time? Ooooh… There’s a shadow I haven’t made into a persona yet….

28. Hoot says:

Quake Champions Beta and Battlerite. Both are pretty awesome. And Battlerite is free on Steam for the next few days.

I heartily recommend it. It’s like a distilled version of Dota 2 combat where games last between 5 and 8 minutes instead of 45 to an hour. It’s also heavily skillshot and movement based. Get it downloaded people!

29. Barberetti says:

You are now logged out.

Prove your humanity: 2 + 8 = [ ]

You’re supposed to ask me before I log in, you silly website.

• pahaweleho says:

It’s designed to catch bots when they are most vulnerable – logged out @.@

And Company of Heroes for me. Maybe I’ll give Dankest Dungeon a run too.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

ANSWER THE QUESTION, REPLICANT!

• Chairman_Meow says:

The turtle is on its back. Why aren’t you doing Maths, Leon?

AutonomyLost says:

I’ll be keeping my eye on the news, as the concept of a pre-emptive strike on North Korea is, surreally, being discussed in earnest. For all those who don’t live in the United States, I offer my meager apology for our behavior and hope our impotent assfuck-in-chief isn’t *entirely* vacuous or insane.

Also, I’m picking up my Nintendo Switch and copy of Zelda: BotW this afternoon. Gonna be fully committed to that as far as gaming goes this weekend. Be well, all!

• Viral Frog says:

I would also like to offer my sincere apologies for the actions of our Cheeto-in-Chief. I’ve never been more ashamed of being an American than I am right now. :/

• acespade22 says:

I Would like to add i AM AMERICAN and offer no apology’s to anyone. Let this be a lesson to the world that Tyranny and dictatorship led by madmen across the world will not longer be tolerated. People Sleep Peacefully in Their Beds at Night Only Because Rough Men Stand Ready to Do Violence on Their Behalf

• Unclepauly says:

You are more ashamed of being an american now than ever? Keks for everyone

DelrueOfDetroit says:

The fact that he immediately went for the biggest non-nuclear bomb right off the bat worries the fuck out of me.

tigerfort says:

You can just imagine the conversation, can’t you:

“Well, Mr President, what we recommend is…”
        “Use the biggest one.”
        “We actually think it would be better to…”
        “I said use the biggest one. Only little people drop little bombs. We’re the USA. We should use the biggest.”

DelrueOfDetroit says:

How many coal miner’s salaries is that bomb worth as well?

• poliovaccine says:

Yyyyeah, allow me to sign off on that global apology as well… this is frankly THE scenario I was most frightened of during the whole horrible campaign – i.e. this orange fuck actually attempting to interact with North Korea. I, um, am hoping my time put into Fallout and the recent glut of survivalist games will come in handy.

• acespade22 says:

Go get a latte and get your nails done sissy while the real men of the world take care of business.

• Chairman_Meow says:

Oh look!It’s that rarest of creatures, the internet tough guy. I’m American too, stop being obtuse. It’s ok to have different opinions, but you are not Rambo, homes, and I sincerely doubt that you are one of those “rough men ready to do violence”. Go back to slaughtering pixels.

• Unclepauly says:

Why do you doubt it? You think rough men don’t chat in computer games comment sections? Well, hmm, you may have a point come to think of it. You never know though, I’ve seen weirder things.

• Sleepy Will says:

The real, genuine “rough men” who serve in special forces etc, tend to understand that their role is important precisely because not everyone can be like them, and as such are the most accepting bunch you’re ever likely to meet. They would have very little time for the likes of acespade22 and anyone who thinks that not being “tough” is a slur on their character. Also, they like having their nails done, given how tough their job is.

• DeusVult says:

You morons are apologizing because America is standing up to one of the world’s biggest bully’s? Do any of you millennial libtards even understand what kind of regime Kim Jung runs over there, or the fact he has publicly stated his sole purpose for launching missiles it to develop a nuke cabable of reaching the USA Mainland? Thank God none of you cowards were around in the 40’s, We would all be speaking German right now flying a red flag with a swastika. Some of you cowards should be ASHAMED TO CALL YOURSELF AMERICAN, ASHAMED!!!! SHAME ON YOU!!!

• malkav11 says:

Of course we understand how horrible the regime in North Korea is. But there are real, important reasons that we exited the Korean war with a separate North Korean state and that we have never invaded and toppled that regime in the 60-odd years since then. Not least of them, the extremely strong likelihood that a war with North Korea would become a war with China. Now, could we win a war with China? Maybe. But the loss of life would be staggering and the economic havoc would be incredible. It’s not a good scenario. It’s also quite likely that even if we evaded such a war, that we would not be able to successfully transition North Korea into a stable democratic republic any more than we’ve managed that in any of the Middle Eastern countries where we’ve deposed authoritarian regimes. And they haven’t been under intensive propaganda and almost completely cut off from the outside world for decades the way North Korea’s population has been.

It’s a problem, for sure. But it can’t be our problem to solve alone. And it certainly isn’t going to be solved by our current president, who is capable of neither strategy nor diplomacy, and has no interest in the hard work and persistence that would be required to accomplish anything remotely worthwhile in North Korea.

• DeusVult says:

Sounds like you went to the Military academy of Barack Obama . Top strategy’s for dealing with totalitarian dictatorship’s include burying head in the sand and pretending rogue nations and various madmen across the world are not working diligently DAY AND NIGHT TO DEVELOP Nuclear weapons capable of reaching the US mainland. What President Trump is doing is what every other president didn’t have the balls too, Anyone who calls themselves a AMERICAN and apologizes for their PRESIDENT standing up to world bullys should be ashamed of themselves! SHAME ON YOU! We are the leaders of the FREE WORLD, FREE WORLD you little shits!!!! Its free because brave men RISKED AND GAVE their LIVES IN WAR standing up to BULLYS like Kim Jung SO YOU COULD SIT BEHIND A COMPUTER and lecture people on the ways of war and politics from you comfy DX racer chair. Yeah go play another round of Civilization and pretend you know anything about what is actually unfolding.

• malkav11 says:

You realize that North Korea was formed in the 1950s, right? And that it’s been a horrible, belligerent, abusive authoritarian regime the whole time since then? And that there’s been plenty of presidents of both parties that haven’t taken military action about it? You might want to consider why that is instead of just mindlessly cheering for war and claiming they “didn’t have the balls”. You won’t, of course. But you might want to.

Phasma Felis says:

Also there’s the thing where he’s basically holding a gun to the head of North Korea’s capital city. There’s tens of thousands of artillery pieces pointing at Seoul from across the border; if it came to open war, we’d win easily enough, but Seoul, population 25 million, would be flattened.

But hey, they’re just dumb foreigners anyway, right.

• Barberetti says:

6/10. Too obvious.

31. Viral Frog says:

I don’t celebrate Easter at all, so I’ve got nothing really lined up other than a little time with my sons. So I’ll probably end up playing some Chrono Trigger on the DS tonight and tomorrow morning/afternoon. It’s the only thing I can manage with three kids, two of whom are younger than 3. It’s easy to set aside when needed.

After I take them back to their mom tomorrow, I was thinking of starting on one of the millions of unfinished games on my back log. And since I’m thinking of that, I’ll probably actually spend my time playing KF2, Payday 2, or Enter the Gungeon because that’s what I do.

32. keefybabe says:

Dunno. Kind of got Dark Souls fatigue, so I’m looking at the backlog. Did a bit of starbound which was good, but it isn’t quite what my brain needs.

subdog says:

Finishing up loyalty missions in Mass Effect 2 while spinning this new Kendrick album.

34. geldonyetich says:

I plan to try to rerail my indie development efforts in Unity whilst playing Mass Effect Andromeda and Breath of the Wild.

But I don’t know what I’ll actually end up doing with my weekend. Maybe some Stellaris, Minecraft, or Animal Crossing: New Leaf (which apparently released a major update at the end of the last year).

I just discovered The Last Story (Wii) existed last week and frankly I’m beginning to doubt my gaming credentials.

35. Gomer_Pyle says:

I recently got back into War Thunder so I’ll most likely be playing that as well as the Mirage: Arcane Warfare Beta. I also picked up Orcs must Die! 2 on its recent sale, so I may give that a go as well.

36. Ben King says:

It will mostly be console for me this weekend but as Witcher 3 is also on PC I figure it’s fair game… Probably also some Lovers in a Dangerous Space-Time coop with my GF and maybe I can finally coax her into starting a campaign of Diablo 3 with me. I’ve played some with a friend and decided it’s the perfect degree of mindless to allow for both whiz bang entertainment and conversation about what to eat for dinner. Also Taxes. Because it’s taxes day in America come Monday.

37. Chaoslord AJ says:

After finishing the entire DA:Inquisition and trying DA2 for a few hours I returned to the original Dragon Age.
    Replaying it I realized this was the last great Bioware RPG, combat is tactical and challenging, music is truely awesome, high level of polish be it the excellent voice actors down to the random conversations of strangers, text font, loading screens, every piece of UI and lore looks like a person actually worked on it. Compare the aged design of Ostagar to DA2’s Kirkwall, Ostagar still looks better.

Yeah it’s aged but imagine Bioware still doing such games as next gen. At least there’s CDProject.

• The Bitcher III says:

Isn’t it crazy how one game can highlight the shortcomings in previous titles?

Not so much ‘Mass Effect’, as ‘The Phantom Menace Effect’.

• Talahar says:

I still like DA2, rushed as it was.
      I liked that the story wasn’t a save the world kind of deal, but rather on a more personal, smaller scale. The involvement of Hawke’s family makes it more personal as well.
      And as a mainly archer character, the combat was also more to my liking than DA:O.
      But still, the constant reuse of the same mansion and cave just with different set dressing is what wears you down from what could have been a good or even great game to a merely mediocre one.

38. Shinard says:

Well, right now I’m playing “trying not to panic after realising I have a lot more work than I thought, for a deadline that’s a lot closer than I thought”. Tremendous replayability, that one.

If I can get on top of things, I might splash out on Bayonetta to celebrate, or just do a run or two in Death Road to Canada.

• poliovaccine says:

Ohh hey, I’ve played that “too much work for my deadline” one before, hot damn that’s a tough one – got a similar vibe to System Shock 2, yknow?

39. spleendamage says:

On the PC: Distant Worlds: Universe. My human colonies have all been destroyed, but then I discovered a death ray in some ancient temple which I managed to construct on my home world base. So, I am clinging to a thread of hope that I might be able to use this super-weapon to pull me back into the game, somehow.
    On the PS4: Persona 5.

40. poliovaccine says:

Just got a new apartment this past week, and setting it all up has given me an odd craving for games from my past – I guess it’s the nostalgia element. And nothing else quite speaks of bygone childhood to me like Morrowind. My dunmer just got a new place, too, obviously.

41. The Bitcher III says:

Not The Witness. No more, no more. Hundreds and hundreds of puzzles solved and I don’t feel the game has shown me anything resembling an denouement / ending… I have a couple of puzzles to reveal what I believe is an ending, but I can’t bring myself to give them the attention required. It is possibly the most confusing, love/hate relationship I have had with a game in 30 years.

(James Burke recordings are a good thing to push on people, but in context only served the impression of a pretentiousness belying a lack of self-awareness. It’s not really fair to create the expectation of a story, only to fail to follow through. I’d much rather JB had left ALL of that stuff out.)

Event [0] – the AI seems a little underwhelming but I very much enjoy the puzzly aspects.

Snake Pass. Perfect for lazy Sunday mornings.

Also must go back and start Thimbleweed over. I’ve got 4/5 hours in, but was so stoned I don’t think I remember one darned thing-erino about the whole experience-a-roo.

42. Rainshine says:

Stellaris. Been trying out the new update, enjoying it so far, sad that no one wants to be friendly, annoyed at the faction request for three research treaties when no one will sign any.

Won for the first time Endless Legend this week. I was a bit underwhelmed by it; there was virtually no diplomacy, the quests seemed a bit meaningless (other than the two really annoying ones, one to go to war with another civ and take a certain city, the other to find a sea zone and kill a ridiculously strong monster) and I think I got lucky on resources this run, because with only three (maybe four) adjacent cities, I had every strategic resource and nearly all the luxury ones; add in a couple fortresses and even building units and wonders with them, I still had some 500 palladium at game end.

darrrrkvengeance says:

I don’t get too much time for games, so I’ll probably still be on Persona 5 for the next few weekends. I did stay up all night playing it Wednesday night/Thursday morning — allowing me to experience that special sense of shame when all the birds are chirping and the sky is looking a bit less dark and the cats are all like: you never came to bed, but you still have to feed us now anyway . . .

44. Caiman says:

Yooka-Laylee which I’m enjoying muchly. May try and get back into Thimbleweed Park but Paradigm has rather ruined it for me.

45. RaymondQSmuckles says:

Bayonetta and Game Maker Studio 2
    Finally time to put 40 years of gaming experience to use in contributing back to the hobby.

• JaseyMitch says:

Good luck to you. I’m planning to do the same soon, starting with a JavaScript online course, and then GameMaker Studio. Been playing games as long as you, and equally as keen to try things from the other side. If I never make anything I’d be happy to show to another human, it’ll be a satisfying and challenging endeavour at least. Let us know what you make!

46. floogles says:

Dark Souls 2 is done! What an epic journey. Of the challenge areas I only finished off the cats (damn those reindeers), but did knock off Darklurker and the main DLC bosses. Overall I loved it, but it’s definitely a different feel to the first game. Watching a ton of lore videos made me appreciate the buried story a lot more. I think it would’ve helped to watch as I played but I’m too spoiler averse.

So now I’m playing the antidote to DS which is Dog Sled Saga. Delightful little game, renaming the dogs to real life dogs is fun too.

47. Jonfon says:

Mass Effect 3 still. Just finished the Leviathan & Citedel Dlc and am left thinking that a Mass Effect : Citedel game where you played a gum shoe detective would have been much more entertaining than all of this galaxy spanning stuff.

48. spec10 says:

Downloading Steel Division: Normandy 44 right now. Hope the beta will keep me entertained and occupied for a while, before I ultimately realize how shallow everything is and that there’s no point in going on.

49. I_have_no_nose_but_I_must_sneeze says:

80 Days. I had no idea that a group of levitating monks had made their home in one of my countries. I should track them down next time I visit.

Besides that, the following games are eyeing me patiently, expecting their turn: Broken Age, Darksiders 2, Dream Machine chapter 5 in anticipation of the final chapter that’s meant to come out next month, Her Story, Firewatch, Sorcery Part 1, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, the new Doom, the new Hitman, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Oxenfree, Shadow Warrior, Blackwell Epiphany, and Technobabylon.

One or more of these might worm its way into my hard drive and, if I’m lucky, my thoughts and dreams. Although judging by typical Have You Played comments, posting about games here will ensure that none of these will end up being played this weekend. Is that how it’s done?

cairbre says: