Be a baddie in Star Wars Battlefront 2

After a long stretch of mumbling and leaking, EA have formally announced Star Wars Battlefront II [official site] for a November 17th launch. The boldly-going shooter’s big addition is a singleplayer campaign, and a new trailer reveals that it focuses on a baddie whose story winds through thirty years of Star Wars history. She and her merry band of elite spacefascists have been in the cracks of the big stories, and we’ll get to see her meeting big-name characters and whatnot while blasting zapguns. Here, check out the trailer:

The official word from EA on that singleplayer campaign is:

“Forge a new path as Iden Versio, commander of Inferno Squad—an Imperial special forces unit equally lethal on the ground and in space. Encounter many of Star Wars’ greatest characters in a story of revenge, betrayal, and redemption that spans 30 years.”

So she’ll eventually become a goodie, yeah?

It’ll have multiplayer too, obvs. It’ll trip across places, characters and vehicles from the original trilogy, The Next Generation, and Enterprise for up to 40 players. Also in from the start this time (rather than added in DLC) are space battles, for up to 24 spacemen. Oddly, split-screen co-op is still only for consoles.

Star Wars Battlefront II is coming on November 17th, priced at £54.99.

As Mashable report, EA’s plans for DLC and season passes and whatnot are unclear. “We don’t have a season pass,” creative director Bernd Diemer told Mashable, going on to say other things including “For this type of game, season passes are not the best thing” and “We don’t want to segment our community.” That would suggest EA are stepping back from their traditional DLC-o-rama, though EA’s PR peeps followed up with a statement muddying the waters and saying they can’t confirm anything. What mysteries! EA dropped DLCblasts for Titanfall 2, at least, with new maps and modes coming free. Battlefield 1 is experimenting with letting non-DLCers join in if their mates have paid up too. Maybe EA really are winding this nonsense down. Or maybe they’re not. They’re not saying just yet.

Oh, and be careful you don’t confuse 2017’s Star Wars Battlefront II with 2005’s Star Wars: Battlefront II. What a fool you would look! EA, you still have time to change this. Star 2 Wars: Frontbattle. 2tar War2: Battlefront. Warfront: Battlestars.

1. Rao Dao Zao says:

Star Wars: Battlefront IV: Dark Forces III: Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast: A Star Wars Story

2. Sandepande says:

If the campaign is decent (say, ten to fifteen hours) then ooh.

• Blackcompany says:

Just curious, but…Why does the length of a story driven campaign matter, in terms of pure hours spent?

COJ: Gunslinger has a FANTASTIC story, and only clocks in at about 8 hours. But it’s pretty top notch the whole way through, without overstaying it’s welcome.

• Oakreef says:

Titanfall 2 also has an absolutely wonderful campaign that’s only ~5 hours long but was so good I immediately restarted the game and played it a second time after finishing it, which is something I would never normally do.

• Basil says:

£54.99 is where is matters, I enjoyed Gunslinger and also Ryse (that was sub 6 hours I think)
        But I also paid allot less for those products. So I join others in hoping for a strong campaign, decent length – I don’t care for Battefront multiplayer to fill the gap

• Themadcow says:

Cheers all for the list of games I could conceivably complete despite being married with kids and job.

• Sim-Deck says:

Ha Ha! Same here!

• HunterFrank says:

And same here! My wife and kids even say I am married to my job…

I played many Indie games over the last years because they offer a complete experience within 6-8 hours. Bastion, To the moon, Life is strange, Wadjet Eye adventures, Shadowrun Returns… Much more fulfilling than starting Divinity Original Sin and stopping after 15 hours and 15% completion.

• jeremyalexander says:

The length of a campaign matters because of the amount of money. I don’t play multiplayer games, so if I buy this, it is only for single player and for 60 dollars I want more than 5 or 6 hours of entertainment. The Witcher 3 gave me 300 hours of value for the same money. If you go to a movie and spend 12-18 dollars on a ticket and you get a 5 minute short film one time and a 3 hour epic the next time, you’re going to tell me they were both worth the same amount of money? No way. A 5 hour single player Star Wars shooter is a 10 dollar game to me, a 15-20 hour shooter and I might pay full price, but more than likely wait for it to hit around 30 dollars.

• bramble says:

I’m not sure runtime is an indicator of the quality of a piece of art. That’s like not being willing to buy a ticket to see the Mona Lisa if you don’t get to also spend 2 hours walking through an exhibit on Impressionist painters you don’t care about first.

• ColonelFlanders says:

Please don’t compare Battlefront to the Mona Lisa.

Anyway, when you’re paying £54.99 for a shooting game from EA, I think it’s probably fair to assume that the campaign is NOT going to be a cathartic five hours of videogame thinkpiece. It’s going to be level after level of ‘start as a grunt and shoot the baddies in the face until you are Commander-in-Chief of the whole universe’, and by that token it had better be a decent length for £54.99.

And can we stop with the ‘well you must hate movies’ comparison please? They are entirely different mediums and not comparable. EDIT just realised the movie comment was made by someone below, sorry about That!

• TWChristine says:

Just MHO, but if your goal is to go see the Mona Lisa, you’re probably better off taking the time to look at all the other art you HAVEN’T seen a million times already. Added to the fact that while yea it’s neat to be able to say “I saw it in person!”, I feel like you can actually appreciate it better through other means (ie: prints, online, etc); the original being quite small, and how everyone wants to go JUST FOR THAT makes actually seeing it to appreciate it difficult. I got much more enjoyment out of the rest of the Louvre than I did the few minutes I got to see the Mona Lisa.

• thelastpointer says:

The amusing part of your logic is that watching the new Star Wars movie probably doesn’t worth your time or money :)

• Sandepande says:

It took me about fifteen hours to get through Dark Forces, which felt just right (if memory serves).

3. Troika says:

For the Emperor!

Earl-Grey says:

Burn the Planet.
      Kill the Rebel.
      Purge the Jedi.

• Darth Gangrel says:

We are the Emperor’s fury!

Emperor: Good, use your aggressive feelings, boy. Let the hate flow through you!

• Rindan says:

I hope that in this they really delve deep and explore the full mystery of the midichlorians. I really like how they took the fantasy out of it and made it a scientific explanation. I think it was a real stroke of genius on the part of Lucas. Anyways, I really hope they delve in deep into that, because for me, that is what Star Wars is really about. The midichlorians. Also, the gungans seem like a people with a fascinating culture that they should really explore more.

EA has been really hitting out of the park these days. They have just been releasing hit after hit. Mass Effect Andromeda is the best yet in the series. I feel pretty comfortable with this in EA’s hands. This was a great sequel to the much loved original, and I feel confident that we are going to have something really special in this single player content. They have finished polishing off that multiplayer, so now it is time for some EA shine on the single player mode. I can’t wait!

• Darth Gangrel says:

This kind of optimism and enthusiasm towards EA’s games is so refreshing that I’m going to ignore the possibility that it’s all sarcasm.

4. skyturnedred says:

I’ll get it on sale if the reviews are even half decent for the campaign. Mainly because I get to play as Shivakamini!

5. skeletortoise says:

Wait, wasn’t the first one just called Battlefront? Or was that just early marketing?

6. Eightball says:

Well wait, I thought the Empire was an oppressive white-supremacist regime? That’s what the writers said, after all.

link to money.cnn.com

• skeletortoise says:

Jeez, could you be any more close-minded? Not all space fascists have to be racist. Some just want to kill, terrorize, and oppress indiscriminately.

• BobbyDylan says:

Indeed. Black Storm Troopers, Woman Soldiers. The Empire seems pretty equal opportunity employers.

• Shadow says:

As far as I know, the Empire is human-supremacist. Aliens have a tough time rising through the ranks. Thrawn is a significant exception, probably due to catching the Emperor’s eye and earning his favour.

He’s still conspicuously missing from the new canon even though he’s fulfilling a similar role as this random made-up nobody, leading the retreat of the Imperial remnant to the Unknown Regions (where he was born).

• gunny1993 says:

Thrwan is in the new Canon, he’s in the star wars rebels TV series. Also there’s a book called Thrwan out

• jeremyalexander says:

Nobody ever said anything about white, but they are clearly modeled after the Nazi’s and fascism. And they are racist against non human species. That has been documented from a variety of sources and is pretty obvious since their is only one alien that is part of the empire, and Thrawn was just reintroduced as canon.

• Shadow says:

Oh, I forgot about Rebels. Yes, Thrawn is the newest villain there. Let’s hope he survives the season(s) and makes a proper appearance in the new trilogy.

• Eightball says:

The writers of Rogue One literally say it’s white supremacist.

• Gorncaptain says:

Considering there is literally nothing in canon that would lend weight to that statement, the writers are wrong. There are no examples of human on human racism within the Empire. They’re Human supremacists, not white supremacists.

The only word of God in Star Wars comes from Pablo Hidalgo, and even his statements generally aren’t taken as 100% canon.

What the writers of Rogue One say on twitter has as much canonical weight as my Star Trek fan fiction.

• skeletortoise says:

IIRC it was one guy who tweeted as much, probably opportunistically to snag attention by capitalizing on the political climate of the time, not as a thoughtful analysis of Star Wars canon. I’m pretty sure he ended up later tweeting something else about the movie “not being political” to ease the threat of people on the internet who have no purpose in life without something to boycott.

• Shadow says:

Weird that the Rogue One writers would seriously claim white supremacy, considering Cassian Andor, not strictly “white” by the American definition of the word, disguised as an Imperial officer in the movie and his appearance didn’t rise the slightest suspicion.

Martell says:

The only Imperial with facial hair like, ever, and no one even blinked.

Sorry, bit passé I know, but that’s been bugging me.

• Unclepauly says:

I like how that article cited violence against immigrants when there was almost none. While violence against Trump supporters was off the charts.

• Kelvin says:

Nice to see that the comment trimmers are still protecting you from scary words.

This is comment no. 2.

7. ZippyLemon says:

So will this game show that, at one point, just for a little while, after the destruction of the Death Star and the death/immolation of Vader, Palpatine, and presumably a good portion of Imperial top brass, the Empire was defeated?

Just for a teeny weeny bit?

• iucounu says:

The remnants of the Empire are marshalled by Palpatine’s hand-picked contingency plan Gallius Rax, but eventually are defeated at the Battle of Jakku about a year after Endor I think. Survivors flee into the Unknown Regions, where they become the seed of the First Order; meanwhile, a New Republic is formed (though it’s a bit messy.)

8. jeremyalexander says:

It’s good that they listened to the feedback, but for this to be a buy for me personally it needs 3 things. First, the SP campaign has to be a meaty 15-20 hours, not some COD 5 hour borefest. Second, it needs to bring back galactic conquest mode. Third, it needs to let me play the MP content with bots because I want to be immersed in Star Wars, not have some 12 year old call me names throughout a match. If it does those things, I’m in. Also, what the heck happened to all the other Star Wars games that have been in development for years? Bioware was supposed to be working on a new Star Wars game, another studio was supposed to be working on an action adventure game(we even saw footage of it over a year ago)? I hope EA didn’t take the full license to make Star Wars games just to throw a Battlefront out every couple years.

• CraftyBanana says:

If the campaign is 15-20 hours, I’ll eat your choice of hats. I can’t even remember the last FPS I played with a 20 hour campaign. Maybe the original Quake?

9. Solidstate89 says:

Single player campaign is also being written by the same guy who did Spec Ops: The Line, so there’s a good chance it’s not going to be complete shit.

10. Vegas says:

I really hope the multiplayer is better than it was last time. The way they handled vehicles, and spawning, and the maps in general, didn’t allow for tactics or real teamwork in any way. It felt like just throwing yourself into the meat grinder over and over again. A lot of people did like it, so I’m fine with just saying “it’s not for me” and playing something else. At the same time, memories of Battlefield’s Star Wars mods and Pandemic’s Battlefront II have me yearning for an experience with a bit more nuance than bare fan-service.

I’m for a good single player campaign, as I was pleasantly surprised by Titanfall 2 (though I hear those guys are ALSO making a Star Wars game, which should be awesome).

• GemFire81 says:

A lot of people liked it? This game TANKED , losing about 90% of its population in less then a month. This game looked VERY pretty which allowed high sales, then people played it for a couple hours and quit. This game was 1/2 price within a couple months of release that’s how horrible it was.

• Unclepauly says:

Only on PC. On console the population stayed high for a while and still has quite a bit.

• Darth Gangrel says:

According to wikipedia (and I think I saw this number elsewhere as well) “more than 14 million copies have been shipped” which is more than they expected it to sell. Any criticisms falls on deaf ears, because 14 MILLION COPIES!!!

11. Dirksolomon says:

This could have been chance to jump on Imperial Commandos tale of Boss, Scorch and Fixer! But I suppose it is still time to wait and keep positive.

Aerothorn says:

It’s nice to see that a ship designed exclusively for the X-Wing miniatures game is now the main ship in a video game.

But yeah, they HAVE to make space combat workable – I found it a bizarre chore in Battlefront and it’s why I never upgraded from free trial.

13. Dudeist says:

lol, now you see source of “user submitted” amazing 60fps battlefront gameplay…

Moreover, it says – “game engine footage” what not means, game will looks like this, just engine can do something like this.

14. ye-ole-PK says:

meh. I will be waiting for a special deal next year. too many other items on the ps4 now.

15. left1000 says:

Actually valid titles:
    Star Wars Battlefront IV
    Star Wars: Battlefront IV
    Battlefront II
    Star Wars Battlefront: Imperial Saga

Also Guess this means next year Doom II is getting released? :( dumb PR employees.

16. CartonofMilk says:

Still wasting this franchise on MP FPS…

The potential for so much more, for something actually interesting…as was proven many times 15 to 20 years ago.

For a start why isn’t there a Star Wars Elite-like in development? Sure it would have to be less hardcore than Elite, a little more mainstream, a little less sim, but god…. since 1984 the genre has been aroudn and not once has SW touched it. I want to experience the whole SW universe, not just a tiny part.

17. GemFire81 says:

Hmmmmm…. well since Star Wars Battlefront 1 was one of the most boring piles of crap I have ever played I’m guna’ have to hard pass on this. Honestly after how horrible the last one was I can’t believe they have the nerve to make a sequel. What a bunch of money grubbing whores. All they did was take battlefield 4 and reskin it and remove all the depth. The new remake of this series just makes me sick. They were even to greedy and lazy to make any type of co-op / single palyer story mode!!! DONT give these people money PLEASE DON’T.

• Unclepauly says:

If it was a BF4 re-skin it would have been awesome. It wasn’t. They are making the sequel to add in all those things people wanted the 1st time. Also it did have co-op single player modes. You didn’t have to buy the 1st one and you don’t have to buy this one. If it has everything you want in the game though why wouldn’t you? Because it’s EA? They aren’t a charity.