Telltale’s Guardians of the Galaxy series started today

Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy: The Telltale Series [give over -ed.] Telltale’s Guardians of the Galaxy [official site] has kicked off with the first episode today. The five-part series sees those wacky spacemisfits saving the galaxy and all that jazz, in the modern Telltale adventure-story way. Adventure! Action! Comedy! A launch trailer!

That’s your wrinkleman Thanos there but it sounds like he’s not the focus of this japery.

“In the wake of an epic battle, the Guardians discover an artifact of unspeakable power. Each of the Guardians has a reason to desire this relic, as does a ruthless enemy who is the last of her kind, and who will stop at nothing to tear it from their hands.”

Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy: The Telltale Series – An Episodic Adaptation of A Marvel Series: By Telltale – Based on Guardians of the Galaxy by Marvel: The Episodic Series – A Telltale Product is £18.99/22,99€/$24.99 on Steam and GOG. Further episodes will follow as they’re finished, which is usually every two or three months for Telltale.

I like the Guardians of the Galaxy movie. While most of Marvel moviedom is mired is crossovers and misery, Guardians remembers that the funny pages can still be funny. It’s an enjoyable sci-fi adventure, the sort of thing that’d be called a “romp” by rosy-cheeked critics. Telltale have historically been bad at comedy but I dug their Tales From the Borderlands, a similar sci-fi-y romp with its own silly cast of anti-heroes. I don’t even like Borderlands. Fingers crossed for this.

Telltale have a third season of The Walking Dead on the go right now too, with three of five episodes released. They have a second season of Game of Thrones coming as well, and that mysterious all-new transmedia ‘super show’ doodad. Busy lot.

1. Monggerel says:

Personally, I’m waiting for Telltale’s Doom: The Hellwalker Chronicles.

2. Bull0 says:

they missed a trick by not calling the borderlands one Tales from the Borderlands: a Telltale Tale

3. Seafoam says:

When will we get Telltale’s Professor Balthazar?

4. Darth Gangrel says:

I’ve only played The Wolf Among Us, which had unnecessary (unskippable?) QTE fights, but everything else was great, especially that intro theme.

I have Tales of the Borderlands, but think I’m gonna wait to play it until I’ve played Borderlands 2 and I didn’t like Borderlands 1 very much. Enemy encounters relied too heavily on levels. Tactics didn’t matter, gear didn’t matter, what mattered was that your level was above your enemy’s level.

The Telltale Sam and Max games seem like fun games as well. Don’t know if I want to delve into the other Telltale games.

• davethejuggler says:

You really don’t need to play borderlands 2 to play tales. It’s a fantastic romp with some super stylish scenes. Highly recommended.

• empty_other says:

I dislike QTE in cutscenes but i really think they were an excellent choice for the story told in The Wolf Among Us: Imagine the frustration you feel when encountering a QTE fight. Bigby is equally frustrated over having to play by “civilized rules” when he know he could easily skip any fight if he allowed himself.

And Telltale have been good at signaling QT events usually. Their worst QT trigger have been Batman’s line launcher. The red button shows up at the same spot as a red circle on the side of the line launcher, making me miss it multiple times due to an annoying thing called “change blindness”.

Meanwhile, some other game companies put their surprise QT events on a small UI element near the end of a full non-action cutscene. When you spot it you have to fumble around in the dark for the controller that you had just put down. No wonder people have grown to hate QTE.