Micro Machines shows off tabletop fight-o-racing

That there new Micro Machines World Series [official site] actually looks like it might be fun. When Codemasters announced the tabletop racing game without even a screenshot I did worry it might be headed straight for the cheap and cheerful carousel of licensed software near the checkout. Now the first gameplay trailer is here, focused on its scrappy Battle Mode side, and hey, this does look like it might be fun.

Warning: turn your sound down a touch, as this trailer contains Brian Blessed.

Or don’t. Turn your sound up. Right up. Ram your earphones deep into the canal, hold them in with your fingertips, and blast The Blesser, his bellowing becoming the last sound you’ll ever hear. Something has to be the last, right? Few of us choose our final sound but you, today, have a special opportunity. Make your choice then click:

Battle Mode is the action-oriented side of World Series, with modes including capture the flag and 6v6 deathmatch. The game will support regular racing in four-player local play and online zooming for up to 12, while Battle Mode is made for up to 12 players too.

I do like that the game is tapping other Hasbro toy lines too. One vehicle is a G.I. Joe tank, for example, while a Nerf gun is a powerup and Hungry Hungry Hippos provide obstacles in one level. In games about toys, it is always jarring that none are recognisable. I liked when Mattel toys appeared in Toy Soldiers, though not the price of those DLC packs. More real toys please, game-doers. It’s probably fine that I’m so used to swimming in brands that I protest their absence, right? Give me the brands. I want the brands and the brands want me.

In the absence of Micro Machines, mind, other toy racers like Toybox Turbos and Table Top Racing: World Tour have popped up on PC. You watch your back, brands.

Micro Machines World Series is coming in June, delayed from a planned April launch.

From this site

1. ColonelFlanders says:

All of the Micro Machines games I played as a kid were superb, so I have every faith that this will be great too.

2. aircool says:

I don’t think you’ll ever be able to recreate the tense, barely restrained violence of having three people squashed around the one keyboard whilst one shouts ‘I’m gonna win… I’m gonna win… I’m gonna win’ as they drive you into an ink spill, subsequently sending your car spinning off the table as they cross the finish line a hundredth of a second before the third player.

3. DingDongDaddio says:

The screenshot in the article makes my heart go all aflutter (racing little F1 cars on the billiards table was my favorite track). I absolutely loved these games as a kid and had tons of the actual toys (anyone remember mini micro machines? They certainly were mini!)

Here’s hoping for a return of the ultimate driver: Spider. (PS. Jethro sucks)

particlese says:

Were those the ones that fit inside special hollow Micro Machines? Because those were great. The little buggers even had functional wheels.

I had a Hot Wheels or Matchbox car I used to put their parent cars into, too, but I can’t remember which one it was…maybe simply in the back of the enclosed flatbed truck?

4. caff says:

I never turn my sound down for Brian Blessed.

Drib says:

I played the MicroMachines game for the NES as a child.

The screenshot alone evokes nostalgia!

Here’s hoping it’s good.

6. deanimate says:

Love playing mm back in the day. Hope it still has the same magic

7. TechnoJellyfish says:

If this one supports a wide array of input devices and control schemes (at least one entry of the series let you share one gamepad between two players) and allows me to mix and match local with online play as I see fit (not enough games let you do this), I am soooo on board!

Mungrul says:

I still think the series peaked with Micro Machines 2 Turbo Tournament. Adding 3D and weapons to the formula just felt wrong.

But 4 player marathon sessions on Megadrive Turbo Tournament were our bread and butter for multiplayer gaming of an evening after work in the Nineties before the N64 came along.

Those tense moments of jittery stillness travelling on a sponge over a sudsy sink; those ridiculous, deceptively simple speed tracks where you’d all build up to almost supersonic speeds on the straight, only for someone to inevitably lose it on the first corner; Nineties, 16-Bit gaming bliss, and the main reason Codemasters will always have a special place in my gaming heart.

Hell, we even managed to get enough people together to play the absolutely bonkers, share-a-pad 8-player mode a few times.
    Excellent stuff.

It was also responsible for us gradually adopting the “Worst stays on” policy, giving friends who were terrible a chance to improve quicker.

Comment on this story