Snowy adventure Syberia 3 finally out today

Adventure game Syberia 3 [official site] was originally announced in a dark and mysterious year known as “2009”. Following many delays and postponements, it finally came out in Europe today, accompanied by a launch trailer that includes some unimaginably bad voice acting and Hong Kong cinema levels of lip syncing. And although all that is probably a result of developer Microïds’ localising it from their original French, I am certain the English trailer still qualifies as a tragic comedy.

“KATE WALKER, NO!” is my favourite line. It’s true some people are blessed with names that simply must be said in full. But none are so powerful as protagonist Kate Walker’s name, which retains its completeness even in the event of a life-threatening crash.

The first Syberia, in 2002, made John feel good inside, but the second made him feel blind rage. How will the third fare? We’ve got him trudging through the adventure snow to find out. This time ex-lawyer Kate is helping the mystical creatures known as “snow ostriches” to complete their migration. If you are a North American and you want to get ostriched up, sorry, your release date is April 25. As for pricing, it’s £29.99 for us Eurofolk and $39.99 for you.

1. grimdanfango says:

Ouch. Well, at least it’s awful in a endearingly earnest way. I find myself hoping it does well in spite of its failings.

2. Atog says:

“us EUrofolk” -British -Doesn’t give the price in euros. Come on.
    Also, I’m not feeling confident about this one, and the first one (and to a lesser extent the second one) are close to the heart of my childhood.

• Dewal says:

I know it’s an english website and all, but yeah, please. Give prices in euros when you can, it would be nice !
      (Even though I don’t plan to buy this game in particular, the prices in euros are often forgotten)

Otherwise, this game seems amazing. It’s impressive how with every new character speeking in the trailer, the voices never match at all !

• poliovaccine says:

As an American, I have to say I’m totally unbothered by the lacking representation of my own country’s currency. (That said, as an American, I certainly do have much bigger things to be bothered about here at home..)

3. welverin says:

Odd, Steam told me it was released today and I’m not one of you Eurofolk.

4. Kolbex says:

Pretty sweet that “Come get some” is the only line in the whole 2 minute trailer delivered in anything close to naturalistic manner.

5. RosalietheDog says:

She’s not going back now that she’s so Klaus.

Never played any of the series’ games. The fact that Benoît Sokal is also the artist responsible for the enjoyable Inspector Canardo comic book series, has made me more interested.

• Bernardo says:

Canardo is so great! That was basically the reason I started playing Syberia, after my partner recommended it and mentioned the name Sokal. Fair warning, though, this is more like the historical “Sanguine” series, very beautiful, but also kitschy. Syberia 1 and 2 are really good adventures, though.

6. Maddux says:

“You can’t go to there anymore!”

But…I want to go to there.

• Juan Carlo says:

That’s such a blatantly obvious mistake it makes me wonder how the localization was done. How hard is it to have a native English speaker give the script a once over and flag obvious stuff like that? And what of the voice actors? I assume they spoke English. Wouldn’t they be like, “Wait a second, this makes no sense.”

• spron says:

10 THERE
      20 GO TO 10
      30 KATE WALKER, NO!

7. typographie says:

All I can think of when watching that trailer is what really high-quality text to speech software might sound like someday. I would have no problem just playing this in French with English subtitles, honestly.

• indociso says:

It must be cheaper to buy dictation software than to hire actual human beings

• Archangel says:

I would LOVE to be able to mix audio and subtitle languages in more games. It seems like it would be such an easy thing to include, but so few developers do.

Edit: there is a Steam guide for Syberia for working around this exact problem. Hopefully something similar can be done for Syberia 3.

Play Syberia with any audio / subtitle configuration available

• Juan Carlo says:

I agree 100%. Localized voice actors for indie games are almost always worse than the original language (although, AAA games can spring for talent). Plus, there’s the added benefit for foreign language learners. I wish I could use the time I waste on video games to brush up on my spanish by using spanish subtitles or spanish audio + english subtitles when available.

• typographie says:

Yeah fair point, I should mention that I said that without knowing if French audio with English subtitles is even supported in Syberia 3. The Steam store page does show the right checkmarks in the right places in the language section, for what that’s worth.

8. Sascha23 says:

FYI It’s live for NA people on Steam already. Just a heads-up. Sorry if I’m one of many to mention this.

9. ezbez says:

“No time to lose!” link to m.youtube.com

• Renegade says:

I clicked hoping to see Monty Python and was not disappointed.

10. Spuzzell says:

I don’t know what you mean.

That’s the best thing I’ve seen since my toilet bowl on the morning after my legendary frozen beef mince chilli.

11. Insignus says:

This made me sad. I’ve heard a lot of people talk warmly about the first one.

This… this was back-issue D anime level of voice acting. I agree with some of the other commenters – get an intern or a grad-student or someone who is a native speaker in your localization languages to read it aloud to you once. Sometimes its not even a question of it not making sense grammatically, it just sounds wrong.

So on the one hand, we’re being presented with some pretty good visuals and vistas. But we’re getting non-lip synced vocalizations that don’t make sense.

Fun fact: link to youtube.com
    is a slightly different version of the trailer in french that I dug up. Uses some of the same footage, but appears that many of the scenes are identical, and lip-synced to French.

12. Buggery says:

Fully expecting this to be a trainwreck but I’ll buy it anyway. Curse my love of shitty mid Noughties adventures.

• Juan Carlo says:

Syberia was OK. I’ve always felt like it had a really intriguing universe and starts out with a great sense of mystery, but then never really builds to much. It’s kind of a picaresque, more divided into discrete episodes strung together via a Mcguffin than constituted by a cohesive, over arching, narrative. It doesn’t really have the grand narrative or character development of something like “The Longest Journey.” but maybe some people liked that about it.

Personally, I’ve always rated it second tier. But I played it regardless, as it was the period in the 2000s when adventure games were incredibly rare, so you cherished the ones that did come out, flaws and all. I mean, I finished “Still Life,” which I thought was completely awful. And I even convinced myself that the second half of “Fahrenheit” was “fun for what it was,” as opposed to “idiotic.” That’s how desperate I was.

• Risingson says:

I LOVE Still Life. Love all of it. It’s Syberia 2 in a thriller mode. If only the cookies puzzle was not there…

• Juan Carlo says:

Yeah, it’s always completely puzzled me why so many adventure gamer types like it. Its puzzles are mostly awful, out of context, “puzzle” puzzles. The cookie one was terrible, but it at least made sense in the context of the environment you are doing it (as opposed to, say, a crane at a construction site being locked by an elaborate logic puzzle).

And while the shifting time frame gimmick was cool, the plot itself was all warmed over serial killer movie cliches. And on top of it, the game just ends mid sentence, never actually revealing the killer (if I recall correctly). So awful.

Henke says:

Worth pointing out that Syberia 2 is currently free through EA’s “On the house”: link to origin.com

14. Risingson says:

When Syberia was released I already knew it was crazily overrated, but I thought it would be seen years after as everything wrong with adventures, not the opposite. Sokal had a great general idea behind both titles, and the first one is cohesive in more ways than expected, but there is a lot to be desired in characterization and game design. Second one is much better in those aspects, but its play safe with the adventure tropes feels out of place
    Syberia 3? I’m interested.

15. TheSplund says:

I have to agree with John Walker (name deliberately said in full) “…Syberia was pretty good. Syberia II was fucking awful though.” Syberia 3 looks to have slipped further down into the pit of shame.

16. poliovaccine says:

Wowwww, I remember when this was announced. I think back then I was still getting PC Gamer magazine.. in the physical-ass *mail.*

17. ansionnach says:

Sounds like Dreamcast-quality voice acting! The line about the snow ostriches is much funnier in English.