The Foxer

Warm-Up Foxer (Where am I?)

I’m in the northern hemisphere. I’m standing next to a skatepark. The hilltops to the west and north-west are dominated by water tanks. Many of the springs in this vicinity issue hot water. The river just in front of me is over 3000km in length. I’m 150km from an international border and 30km from a spaceship hangar. The local mountain has two names, one equine, one reptilian. The pond to my right is named after a TV/radio host.

Feature Foxer (Identify the collage theme)

*       *       *

SOLUTIONS

Last Week’s Warm-Up Foxer (defoxed by The Bitcher III)

I was A. J. Raffles

Last Week’s Feature Foxer

Theme: boxing (defoxed by Little_Crow)

SPEED BAG (Stugle)
CLINCH (Stugle)
BELT (Little_Crow)
BOB (Little_Crow)
BOUT (Stugle, Little_Crow)

From this site

1. Stugle says:

Bottom left: Warren Beatty in Bonnie and Clyde.

2. Matchstick says:

Main foxer – Picture bottom left Warren Beatty in 1967’s Bonnie and Clyde ?

3. Little_Crow says:

11th armored cavalry pin in front of Warren

phuzz says:

The car bottom right is a Subaru 360, nicknamed the ‘ladybug’

5. Matchstick says:

Plane middle bottom General Aircraft GAL.48 Hotspur from 5th Glider Instructor School

6. Matchstick says:

Dog behind the Ladybug is from the cover of Blur’s Parklife

Syt says:

Britannia and the Lions seem to be on top of the Tate Gallery.

phuzz says:

Tracked vehicle in the middle (behind the stamp and the loco), appears to be a Bren Gun Carrier?
    ** EDIT Nope, that’s not correct.

9. unacom says:

The tank is, maybe, a canadian Ram Kangaroo?

10. Matchstick says:

Is the train in the middle a BR Class 55 ?

11. mrpier says:

Queen Elizabeth II stamp, 67-70, stewart blue, designed by Machin.

phuzz says:

The stamp appears to be a standard 5d (that’s five pence in old money) stamp, originally in Royal Blue and seem to be referred to as “SG 735”, although I’m not a philatelist so I don’t know if that’s an official designation.
    I’ve found them dated between 67 and ’69 so far.

**EDIT SG seems to stand for “Stanley Gibbons Concise Catalogue” which is a catalogue of stamps, so now you know.

Syt says:

Starting to get a late 60s vibe here. 11th Cavalry was in Vietnam at the time, Bonnie and Clyde was released in 1967, so was the stamp, Sharon Tate married in 1968 and was murdered in 1969. The movie Love Bug was released in ’68. Could be way off, though. :)

14. Matchstick says:

Middle right above the Ladybug, is that a Vauxhall car badge from the 70s/80s ?

15. Stugle says:

First stab at that ship – it looks like a pre-dreadnought battleship to me, and the triangular bridge might help to narrow it down. My first guess is the Schleswig-Holstein, although I think the deck isn’t quite right.

phuzz says:

I’m looking at the USS Oregon (BB-3), which has the same, circular turrets.
      **EDIT, could be any of the other Indiana-class battleships though I suppose.

• Stugle says:

I think you’re right – this picture has the same kind of circle on the deck (which seems to denote the turning radius of the gun barrels) – link to building-model-boats.com

phuzz says:

Might also be a Royal Sovereign-class, which apparently the Indianas were based on, can’t find a good plan view yet though.
        (One of which was HMS Hood, but not the famous one)

phuzz says:

Looking at the bridge structure aft of the turret, it’s swept back on the Indiana class, and in the picture, whereas the Royal Sovereign class had a straight bridge running port/starboard.
        So I’m tentatively calling this an Indiana class, but I’m not sure if it’s Indiana, Massachusetts or Oragon yet.

• unacom says:

I think the anchor berths on the ship in question differ from the Indiana-class, as does the bow. The Indiana-class doesn´t have a ramming- or bulbous-bow which the ship in question clearly has. Other than that, I´m not helpful today.

phuzz says:

Or could be the USS Iowa (BB-4), which was an upgrade of the Indiana class.

• Stugle says:

Nitpicky, but the turrets on those American ships are round, while the turret in the Foxer image appears to be mostly round, but with an angular extension in the back…

• unacom says:

I´d put that to the Barbette, rather than to the turret itself.
            But I´m trying to pick that nit too…

• unacom says:

Maybe we´re looking at an Armored cruiser, rather than a Pre-dreadnought battleship?

16. Rorschach617 says:

Top Left, Green Party (UK) logo?

• Matchstick says:

Green Party of England and Wales yeah (Scotland and NIs versions apparently are separate and use their own logos)

Does seem to reduce the chances of theme being something to do with the late 60s as the party wasn’t formed till the 90s and it’s predecessor the PEOPLE/Ecology party wasn’t formed till ’72

17. Little_Crow says:

Warmup foxer is in Truth or Consequences, New Mexico.
    Here, I reckon
    link to google.co.uk

• chuckieegg says:

Well done. The pond is named after the host of Truth Or Consequences, Ralph Edwards. I’ve heard of the town before, but the next town along the road is apparently Elephant Butte. It must amuse the tourists.

18. Gothnak says:

Can’t find much on the links so far… But here are a few starters, or dead ends….

Two Different HMS Hotspurs were built at the Clyde Dockyards.

Sharon Tate was going to act in Bonnie & Clyde before she was murdered.

Estelle Parsons is in both films Bonnie & Clyde and Ladybug, Ladybug.

If the train is a BR Class 55, is named either after an army regiment (Likely, knowing Mr Stone…Many are Scottish and Royal (Stamp) one is Green, could link to Clyde?) or a racehorse (blackhorse).

19. Rorschach617 says:

I am getting some colour-related facts from my rummaging in trivia.

The 11th Cav was known as the BLACKhorse Cavalry.
    Warren Beatty directed REDS.
    If the BR Class 55 photo is of the D9000, that makes it the “Royal Scots GREY”
    GREEN Party
    Hotspur may be a reference to Tottenham, the LilyWHITEs.

20. Rorschach617 says:

Probably a dead end but here we go.

If the Class 55 loco is either the Royal Scots Greys or the Argyll and Sutherland Highlander, both regiments were present at the Battle of Balaclava. Furthermore, the Highlanders were commanded by Sir Colin Campbell, later Baron CLYDE.

21. Gothnak says:

Ok, i’m going for another direction…

They are all WW2 british ships:

The HMS Griffin (Vauxhall insignia) (This and the Hotspur sunk an Italian Submarine together)
    The HMS Hotspur (The Plane)
    The HMS Britannia (On the Tate)
    The HMS Ladybird (Think the Subaru is also called the Ladybird as well as Ladybug)
    The HMS Greyhound (On the Parklife Album)
    The HMS Clyde (Bonnie & Clyde)
    The HMS Oxford (The Gun Carrier)
    The HMS Queen (Stamp)
    Whatever that ship is – Itself :p

This does leave:

The Green Party – Don’t think it’s HMS Greenwich.
    DELTIC Train – Could be one of 100 things.
    11th Armoured Blackhorse – No idea!

22. The Bitcher III says:

Tottenham – Hotspur
    Blackhorse Road – 11th Cav are the Blackhorses
    Walthamstow – Parklife inserts photographed at said dog track

• The Bitcher III says:

BR55 depoted at Finsbury Park
      Victoria I suppose could refer to HRH Liz 2
      Seven Sisters – The seven spotted ladybird – the name comes from Our Lady (The Blessed Virgin) Mary’s seven joys and seven sorrows?

Stretching a bit here!

• AFKAMC says:

I am (very) late to the party this week, but the ship is HMS Victoria: link to the-blueprints.com

Wikipedia mentions the official opening ceremony at Victoria station in 1969, after which Queen Elizabeth II bought a 5d ticket to Green Park – hence the 5d stamp, I think.

Comment on this story