Two Worlds II lives, for some reason

Two Worlds! The half terrible, half wonderful 2007 RPG in which you upgraded your sword by strapping lots of other swords to it (which always seemed oddly logical to me)!

Two Worlds II! The 2011 sequel I can’t remember anything about, other than that it sadly dialled down the accidental comedy but also included angry monkeys who threw their own excrement at the player!

And now, Two Words II: Call of the Tenebrae [official site], 2017 DLC/standalone expansion whose very existence confuses and confounds me!

Call of the Tenebrae, in as much of a nutshell as I can squeeze it into, is a ten-hour new campaign, which promises “amazing graphical improvement with the new engine upgrade”, along with various new weapons, armour and beasties, as well as a few reunions with original Two Worlds II characters. Like, y’know, Ian Blokey, Jennfier Wotsift and Gr’nargh Thingumy.

This is a bold move for a six-year-old game that, to be blunt, I don’t remember many people getting particularly excited about the time. Still, if a lick of paint and a new jumping on point make it more appealing to those who never knew this so-so roleplaying series before now, perhaps there’s sense in it.

No videos yet, which is a mite worrying for a game that’s due out on May 25, but here are a couple more surely-not-post-processed screenshots to give some sense of how it’s looking.

This looks alright?

This looks exactly what one might expect a 2011 game given some new lighting effects would look like, however:

Compare and contrast to this one, from the original TWII:

More details on story and whatnot here. Try not to feel too much panic about the endless march of time when you see the Xbox 360 and PS3 logos on that website.

From this site

1. ezro says:

This gives me hope that a new expansion for Morrowind might be just around the corner.

• carewolf says:

I hope not. It was Morrowind expansions that made me give up hope.

Goblins in the sewer that are more powerful than a God I killed in the original game. And oops flying doesn’t work in this area because that makes it too hard to restrict you with stupid bullshit walls.

2. Unclepauly says:

I tried it out a few years ago and thought it was surprisingly good considering how many people were crapping on it. I think it got slammed because of comparisons to TES:Oblivion, though I think it’s better than Oblivion in many areas, gameplay being one.

• poliovaccine says:

Having grown up on Morrowind, I’m still kind of baffled when people announce Oblivion as their favorite Elder Scrolls game.. unless, that is, they are younger than me, and Oblivion was their first, in which case I think I get it.

• dylan says:

Eh. I tried Morrowind a few years before Oblivion launched, but it didn’t take. Not enough narrative push, and to my Tolkien-addled mind the world was too lolrandom to get into.

I can understand people calling Oblivion bland by comparison, but sticking closer to genre norms made it very accessible. It’d be like if you wanted to play a hardboiled noir game, but the developers insisted on throwing in jetpacks, a Roman circus, a cult of children wise beyond their years, and to top it all off, an alien invasion. You might wonder why they felt the need to pollute the genre with a bunch of stuff that didn’t seem to fit.

• Treners says:

Yes, being one of those people for whom Oblivion was my first, trying to play Morrowind without the benefit of nostalgia was then, and has been in subsequent attempts, pretty awful.

Steam tells me I’ve played Morrowind for 12 hours which seems like a fair amount of time to decide an RPG of that size just isn’t for me.

That said Skyrim is actually my favourite due partly to how I was able to mod it into pretty much my ideal experience, and partly to feeling like a much more interesting world overall than Oblivion (though oblivion had better quests). However saying “Skyrim is my favourite Elder scrolls game” can get one lynched so I tend to keep it shtum.

• Someoldguy says:

I’ve played Elder Scrolls since its inception and I have to admit that apart from Battlespire, which I couldn’t get to run properly on my aging system, Morrowind was the one that I played the least. In part because I didn’t have so many free hours to devote to it, but in part because it just wasn’t the RPG for me. Too brown, too wierd, too many NPCs that couldn’t be found when you needed to find them, all sorts of reasons. Yes, it’s a classic, but it’s not the right RPG for everyone. If I had to vote for just one to get a modern makeover so I could play it all over again, only without falling through the floor in dungeons from time to time, I’d vote for Daggerfall.

• PsychoWedge says:

Skyrim is my favourite Elder Scrolls and I started with Daggerfall back in the day. I played a lot of Morrowind and generally speaking I think the worldbuilding is better in MW but Skyrim has snow and ice. Snow and ice rule everything in my book. It’s the reason that Asscreed 3 is my favourite of the series as well, just to make myself an even bigger target. xD

• brucethemoose says:

You prefer AC3 over Black Flag?

Them is fightin words.

• yoggesothothe says:

“Skyrim is my favourite Elder scrolls game” can get one lynched.

Hey its not nearly as bad as saying Elder Scrolls Online is my favorite Elder Scrolls game ;_;. But I’m also one of those weirdos that never played the ES games for roleplaying, but almost purely for build wrangling. The temptation to just do anything and everything was always too strong.

• valuum says:

I much prefer ESO to Skyrim. I didnt play it when it first came out though, I hear it was terrible.

edit: Morrowind for me, by far, just to make that clear.

• TheAngriestHobo says:

Yeah, it’s not awful, it’s just kind of bland. That said, it does have a pretty fun spell-crafting system. The main spell I was using for the first half of the game fired three homing fireballs that, upon impact, would teleport a bunch of random chairs and boxes onto the target’s head. I started referring to myself as an Ikeamancer. :)

• Darth Gangrel says:

I played Risen before trying the Two Worlds demo and was sorely disappointed. This was soooo not what I was looking for, had terribly awkward horse riding and bland combat. I just couldn’t bother to keep playing much more than 30 minutes, couldn’t find it in myself to look past the flaws. Comparing these two games, I said to myself “No, I won’t eat crumbs off of the floor after eating a delicious pizza”.

3. Spacewalk says:

Is that a man who woke up to find that he’s in a Two Worlds game?

• Earl-Grey says:

Either that or he discovered that the worlds biggest asshole’s beard had decided to find a new home on his face during the night.

Alpha1Dash1 says:

The thing that makes me remember it fondly is the magic system – stacking cards in your staff for different effects. My favourite one was “multiple homing acid bolts”. Pretty for its day too, but I bet it looks old now.

• LordBilisknir says:

I played this last year after it popped up on my Steam feed for £2. Definitely worth the money then. I did enjoy my mid game to end game spell. 9 Homing Fireballs that bounced 3 times and when they exploded each summoned a top level armoured skeleton warrior. I mean, sure, it used half my entire mana pool for 1 shot but that was all it took to win a battle most of the time.

Quite possibly the best magic system in an RPG ever. Made me feel I was actually a mage. Rather like Magika!

• Rumpelstiltskin says:

I kind of loved it when I discovered I could win a horse race by ditching the horse and casting a speed spell on my character.
      Unfortunately, I hit a game-breaking bug later and never finished it.

5. haldolium says:

Two Worlds II was lacking the overly cheesy OST from Axel F. composer Harold Faltermeyer.

6. Alistair says:

The desert and Asian-inspired settings were certainly interesting. I used summoning magic myself – giant 3 legged poison dart spitters… Adding swords together to make better swords was quite fun too.

I think being different counted against it but I admired their passion :)

7. CartonofMilk says:

I’m one of the like ten people that actually really liked the first one. I have a fondness for “rough” european rpgs though i think.

And that system of stacking gear to level them was, despite illogical, genius. I’ve brought it up in topics like what things you would like to see other games copy in this very comment section. I only never finished two worlds because somehow by mistake at some point i left behind two pieces of equipment i’d been leveling up forever and the whole thing annoyed me so much i stopped playing for a bit, intending to go back but never getting around to it.

I WAS actually anticipating two worlds II a lot and then it came out and….was rather a disappointment. I finished it, but the open world was now broken up into several islands an that last island, that “mainland that looked huge and that i couldnt wait to get to….oh turns out only like 20% of it is used for the single player game. The rest is for mp….what!? Did anyone even ever played MP in this game? Turns out the only half decently sized part of the world was the starting island…and it wasn’t very big. A rpg’s quality isn’t just defined by land mass but…well kinda?

I will say that it IS confusing that there’s now an expansion for it coming out. But i wouldn’t be adverse to them trying out a Two Worlds III

• Snargelfargen says:

The first Two Worlds did one amazing, excellent thing: at a certain point in the game, you can pick up a disguise that works perfectly against all opponents. And so began my tour of Orc Not-Mordor, exploring ruined keeps, a creepy desert, mountain fortresses and many, many orc fortifications.

I gave up playing not too long after. Combat was getting a little too easy/repetitive and the writing was terrible, if unintentionally funny at times. Exploration was the only thing keeping me going. I’ll never forget how fun that disguise was though.

8. Dodj33 says:

They should have just called this expansion Two Worlds II-2

9. Earl-Grey says:

Nevermind the PS3 and XBOX360 logos, that XBOX Live logo gave me a Games For Windows Live flashback! GAH!

10. nimbulan says:

I remember Two Worlds being half terrible and half extremely terrible. I also remember people trying to claim it was a serious Oblivion competitor… Oblivion had a ton of problems, but Two Worlds had nothing but problems from what I played of it.

I’m honestly amazed the series still exists.

11. smeaa mario says:

It wasn’t really a terrible game. I remember playing it all the way to completion, and all along I enjoyed the experience. I really didn’t like itemization though. Finding something new never excited me. At that point I’d have already patched so many items on my existing gear that newfound ones never offered anything more. In fact thinking about it, I might have even completed it using the same set of equipment I had found around the beginning of the game. I kept upgrading each piece and they never became irrelevant.

Combat was kind of wonky too. I played a melee character. All I did was spam some beating into whatever I encountered, and when the enemy signalled an onset of attacks, I simply activated one of my special moves and it cancelled the enemy’s attack, which is normally not possible. Your special moves somehow not only have a cancelling effect but also make you temporarily invincible while they lasted. By repeating and rinsing there was nothing you couldn’t beat like this.

Still, despite all of its flaws, it is one of those games I remember fondly and always wanted to revisit. Maybe this is an excuse to finally do it.

12. jeremyalexander says:

I think it’s very cool that they are still supporting the game as they gear up for the third one. Both of the original games had flaws, but were very fun second tier rpg’s. It’s definitely a wait for review situation, but I’d like to see more. Also, lest we forget, Bethesda was considered a second tier rpg developer until Morrowind and CDPR were considered a second tier rpg developer until the Witcher 3, so let’s hope that when Two Worlds 3 shows up it adheres to the third time’s a charm rule.

• smeaa mario says:

That’s my expectation right there. With some careful reconsideration of past decisions and by adding some more flavor to the concept, they can easily turn what is already not a bad game into one that receives critical acclaim.

13. montorsi says:

Huh, interesting. TW2 was a very weird game. It opened with 30 minutes of some of the worst of any video game I’ve ever played, but after that was pretty OK.
    This does concern me. I hope they aren’t in dire need of cash or anything. A TW3 would be very welcome. If they can step up production values just a little bit, they might see a breakthrough in sales.
    OTOH, I have a bit of a soft spot for janky Eastern European RPGs. For me, the original release of Witcher 1 was the pinnacle of the series. It was rough, poorly translated and required some effort to sort out what was going on. And I was really happy with all of that. Very sad the direction they’ve gone with the series.
    So maybe the status quo is best, after all.

14. keefybabe says:

Fuck it, I’ll buy it.

15. Cvnk says:

Maybe in the expansion they’ll finally use that massive island that you can’t even explore for something.

I don’t remember much about this game either other than it being a pretty dull slog. And the ending was bad too. Like they just inserted it last minute when they ran out of time.

• smeaa mario says:

As far as I can remember, that unexplorable island was for pvp (or pvp coop?). That was why it wasn’t normally accessible in the singleplayer campaign.

16. mxmissile says:

the main character’s arms…

17. April March says:

The one thing I know about Two Worlds II is that it is in my Steam library through no effort of my own I can recall, and yet I somehow know that were it possible I’d have three copies of it.

18. hfm says:

Looks like my in-laws!

19. Mandrake42 says:

Two Worlds II was perfectly ok, in fact a better game all around than the first one. It’s one of those 7/10 games that does things well enough with out being particularly fantastic. Still odd that it’s getting a new add on after all this time though. Maybe the company is embarrassed for releasing Raven’s Cry and is going back to a game that was comfortably ok rather than a sack full of faeces?

Comment on this story