What are we all playing this weekend?

Ah, the weekend! Little-known fact: the word “weekend” comes from “we can d-“, the start of many an argument as couples started to discuss their weekend plans with “we can do…” then realised their partner had some damn fool idea that ruined their hopes and dreams OH GOD what a mistake what am I doing FINE fine we’ll go to the market then visit your brother-in-law and then no, no it’s fine that we won’t have time to… and I can’t… why do I still try this. Those relationships did not last but their frustration lives on in the word. May your weekends fare better.

What are you playing this weekend? Here’s what we’re clicking on.

Adam: I’m playing a horror game for review and that should make me happy. Scared and anxious and terrified, but happy. This particular game is not making me happy though. I’m feeling grumpy so I’m going to play more Flinthook because Flinthook is the best thing that’s happened to me this month.
Alec: I will be playing organising a child’s birthday party, which at present primarily entails trying to track down a bouncy castle rental service who have disappeared off the grid since I made the booking. I’d call it the crime of the century, but I haven’t actually paid them yet. I guess they exist purely to crush the hopes and dreams of four year olds?
Alice: I’m finally wrapping up Night in the Woods, which has been a delight. It’s put me in the mind to also finish Virginia, a game I feel a chuffing fool for putting off for so long. I don’t think I was in the right mind for it. And, obviously, I’ll be playing The Binding of Isaac’s Daily Challenges. I only wish more of my chums did, to get a little friendly rivalry going. I don’t know if I’ve been clear enough about this — I probably haven’t — but I really like Isaac, okay.
Brendan: I’ll be letting the decades pass me by with nothing but a sad and confused expression. And in Stellaris, where I am currently inhabiting a civilisation of absurdly multicultural turtlefolk. I also went on some sort of late night download binge that I can’t remember, so it looks like I’ll be playing either OneShot, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter or… The Vanishing of Ethan Carter REDUX?
Graham: I’m going to continue playing not-PC games, because Zelda: Breath of the Wild is still too much fun to stop. Mostly I just enjoy travelling across its world, because climbing up vertical surfaces and hang-gliding down from high places is fun all on its own. I’m also really pleased with the Switch in general, since the portability of it makes it much easier to fit into small moments of my life in between work and being a dad.
John: [I keep firing John, I do, but he keeps coming back. Apparently co-founding this site buys some mighty special treatment -ed.]
Philippa: This weekend, as part of my tradition of that being the only two days I step away from games, I will be attending a photography workshop focusing on gardens. It might be stuffed with teachings I can absorb, or it might end up being stuff I know from other courses but with lots of photos to provoke thoughts about where I might shake up my own practice. Also it’s an excuse to make a packed lunch which I will inevitably have eaten by 11am because that is the fate of all packed lunches.

But you, dearest reader, what are you playing?

From this site

1. caff says:

Maybe a bit more of the The Sexy Brutale. I’m finding it a bit confusing, and there are bits that don’t feel as cohesive a model as it is aiming to be, but it’s certainly a unique idea. It looks and sounds lovely.

Thimbleweed Park continues to draw me in too. I just love the soundtrack, there’s something so compelling about it’s blues-y feel. It feels much like the Blackwell games.

And Rocket League, which will probably be the most played thing as always.

• Nioji says:

If you like the concept of Sexy Brutale, I very verrry highly recommand playing Ghost Trick on the DS, it’s a treat from start to finish.

• criskywalker says:

I think I reached the last third of Thimbleweed Park. It’s really great with the most coherent puzzles. Progression is a bit weird. I managed to get something I needed much later, but I was stuck on a puzzle because I needed a dialogue option that wouldn’t show up until much later on. Once I did something else I moved forward two chapters in a row and voila, I could solve the puzzle.

I guess it means the game is very nonlinear, which can make it a bit confusing with all that freedom, but you hardly ever get stuck because there’s so much to do. This game makes me very happy.

I’m finally getting into Pillars of Eternity. Having fun with the hardcore tactical combat and good dialogue.

And of course Rocket League. Trying to get better at aerials and some more fancy stuff. This game always brings a smile to my face.

particlese says:

The weather’s warmed and cleared, and with that, I lose my final excuse to play videogames instead of rebuilding and cleaning my bike. So that.

But I guess also ESO and Devil Daggers, for no Reasons, and maybe Morrowind and Xenoblade and Superbrothers and Life is Strange and Thumper and Future Unfolding and The Room 3 and so many other games that I’ll get overwhelmed by the list and just fix the dang bike to keep things simple.

Thirith says:

Some Arma 3 with mates, some mopping up of Mirror’s Edge Catalyst challenges (which are proving surprisingly enjoyable *after* finishing the story missions), some Tales from the Borderlands and some Thimbleweed Park.

Possibly I’ll also replay the Night in the Wood extra, Lost Constellation. Alice, if you read this and haven’t played it yet – play it! Well worth it.

Ninja Dodo says:

I should go back and play some more of Catalyst. I really didn’t care for the story and the way the open world was used (see this rant: link to idlethumbs.net), but the core mechanics were great and in many ways improved on the original significantly.

Thirith says:

Yeah, it is deeply flawed, but if you can ignore the story (or rather the storytelling), it becomes as much fun as the first game, or even more. When I tried out some of the deliveries and other open world missions while I was still playing the story, I found them frustrating, but now that I can ignore the story, the nonsensical worldbuilding, and I’m fully upgraded, I find them as enjoyable as the first game’s DLC races. It’s just so much fun to move through the world they’ve built, but it’s a shame that any interaction with the world other than traversal is mediocre at best and mostly just sucks.

4. Unsheep says:

Vrooom … RaceRoom got the McLaren 650S GT3 model this week, so I will be testing it out thoroughly on my favourite tracks.

Stars in Shadow, a Master-of-Orion type game, my favourite style of 4X. Its quite easy to learn (but hard to master of-course) and done with a tongue-in-cheek humor that I really appreciate.

Bought Full Throttle on GOG. It will be fun to dive into this game agin, I actually played it when it first came out but don’t remember much from it, since it was so long ago. So it will be like playing it for the first time.

5. TehK says:

I wanted to play Stellaris but the Unbidden turned up right in the center of one of my sectors and our whole Galaxy doesn’t have the firepower to deal with them (Brendan knows the pain!). So I’m currently actually scared to reload the game, because my hivemind will probably just die slowly and horribly…

Fortunately, I found Rainbow Six Siege lying aroung in my inventory and although I really don’t know what I’m doing, I’m having quite a bit of fun :)

Weather’s shit anyway which kind of reminds me that I still haven’t finished Thimbleweed Park (despite enjoying it a great deal). Not sure how I made the connection between the weather and the game, but I’m not going to argue with myself.

• Denis Ryan says:

Let them conquer some territory (ideally not yours) so their stacks are small enough that you can snipe one, then send in your research ship to research the debris.

• brucethemoose says:

Ugh, I’m having the opposite problem. I’m in the super late game (same.fleet power as a a Fallen empire alone, and in a Federation with at least 1/3 of the Galaxy), and nothing has happened… No crisis, no awakening, no devastating war even the 2 FE’s next door are content.

Im thinking my game might be bugged. If nothing happens soon (I got some spiritualist alliance members who are poking the shroud, so fingers crossed), I’m just gonna spawn something with the console.

• Snowskeeper says:

If you haven’t already, try equipping the Jump Drive.

• brucethemoose says:

I got the jump drive awhile ago, as well as sentient AI. Also got a bunch of synths in my empire atm.

Also my game is heavily modded, which is why I suspect something might be screwed up.

6. mashkeyboardgetusername says:

Either Rain World or Dishonoured 2. I think I could get close to finishing Pain World if I used a Passage to skip a load of backtracking, (am currently very high up, if that makes sense while avoiding spoilers,) but I kind of want to explore the world some more. Hmmmm.

7. ButteringSundays says:

A few things actually!

Firstly, and this only half counts, Shadow of the Colossus (emulated). I’ve never played it, felt it time to correct that mistake. I have felled my first collossi and it was great experience. Game really was ahead of its time!

Also Bayoneta – I’m working through chapter 5 on normal currently – stunning game that keeps putting smiles on my face.

And BallisticNG – a great (free!) Anti gravity racer that provides a sufficiently different experience to Redout.

Maybe also some planet coaster.

Ninja Dodo says:

Oh man, I wish I could experience Shadow of the Colossus again with fresh eyes. You are in for a treat.

darrrrkvengeance says:

Just chiming in to agree w the prior comment: Shadow of the Colossus is my favorite game of all time, and it’s so great to know folks are still experiencing the awe and wonder of playing it for the first time.

8. Fomorian1988 says:

Having finally finished Torment: Tides of Numenera, I’m kind of at a loss at what to play next. Probably Duskers and continued delving into Sunless Sea in-between bingeing the new MST3K season.

9. LearningToSmile says:

Probably going to finish up Night in the Woods. The game is seriously good, and resonates with me like almost nothing I’ve played before. A decade ago I was in pretty much the same position as Mae – first in my family to go to university, but decided to drop out after the first semester. My damage was a bit different than hers, but it still hits close to home. And I have or had people close to me that are pretty much exactly like some other characters in the game.

The game is also quite good looking, the music is good, and the core gameplay loop, while some might consider it repetitive, serves well to develop an emotional attachment to the characters and their town.

• Monggerel says:

Oh yeah, NitW was a nightmare rollercoaster of uncanny familiarity for me and hit entirely too close for any real comfort, despite the charm and general good humour (not as in super funny, but as in creating an atmosphere of levity pretty successfully). Was probably the point.

Except for the ghosts. We only have those in the metro here.

10. PanFaceSpoonFeet says:

Grimm Fandango on me phone, then a 5 minute session of outlast whistleblower (headphones on, lights off) before i pussy out and switch it off. Then dirt3 with the Xbox controller.

• skeletortoise says:

Does it play well on your phone? I have it on PC but some issue keeps it from ever working past the room the game starts in. Saw it in a humble bundle and wasn’t sure it would work as well on such a small screen.

• PanFaceSpoonFeet says:

Y’see.. i was trying to tidy up my phone storage, saw a 28 meg grim file and deleted it.. and it wiped my 3gb install. Meh.

11. edwardoka says:

Had planned to do partake in either Ludum Dare or Pedal on Parliament, but my development PC is elsewhere and my bike makes an alarming screeching sound when freewheeling, so Crusader Kings 2 it is.

This is the first time I’ve created an empire – my character was maimed in an accidental fire within 11 days of being crowned, and died shortly after, and his son was a useless, widely detested lecherous idiot who murdered his cousin-wife in the aftermath of her revolt (none of which had anything to do with me).

Several empire-level revolts fired one after the other shortly after he ascended the throne, outnumbered 10-1.

The kingdom titles split, crown authority down to nothing and different succession laws in each. It’s taken several generations to regain power, but I think I’m starting to get a handle on it.

Viceroyalties all the way!

12. TheAngriestHobo says:

It’s been grey and rainy here for the past two weeks (the water levels in the rivers are so high that entire trees are underwater, in fact), so I am staying indoors and playing plenty of vidyagames, just like the doctor ordered. On the menu are Nier: Automata, which is a fantastic way to take my new GPU for a test drive, and ESSENCE, a bizarre dreamlike walking simulator that just entered early-access. Both are worth a try, in my opinion.

13. Darth Gangrel says:

Been playing Blackguards pretty nonstop, because it’s really good and most of all – not very annoying (not even the RNG people complain about).

After that, but not this weekend since Blackguards is a long game, I’ll probably go back to Risen 2 which I stopped playing after getting to the second island. While the environments make for a great exploration and walking simulator game, the combat and moving back and forth to complete quests isn’t that satisfying. It’s merely nice. Good, but not great.

• Unsheep says:

Cool. Blackguards did have one technical issue for me though, in that the save would not always stick; I had to check after each save to see whether the game would actually register it.

Apart from that, a really good tactical game.

I also don’t get RNG upset, it certainly wasn’t more excessive than in other tactical games, such as the new X-Com games.

As soon as people start complaining about the RNG in a game, I typically assume they are just angry about being challenged, or that they are simply bad at the game.

14. Kitsunin says:

Playing Cosmic Star Heroine. It’s living up to Zeboyd’s previous efforts, and going further by introducing new and fantastic turn-based RPG combat mechanics. Desperation mode is just the coolest thing. All JRPGs should have it retroactively added (basically, characters go into negative HP and don’t actually get KOed until the end of their turn).

• Unsheep says:

Would you recommend the game to someone who loves sci-fi RPGs ?
      I’ve been curious about the game but I’m quite new to the old-school JRPG style, and therefore somewhat hesitant to buy it. How are you finding the storyline ?

• Kitsunin says:

I’d wager it wouldn’t be very hard to get into. It doesn’t tutorialize much at all, but it’s not very difficult either so I’m sure you could figure it out.

It’s well written and has great characters. The story doesn’t seem to be anything revolutionary so far (5 hours in), but it’s good, classic underdogs-save-the-world stuff. Compared to classic JRPGs it’s extremely well paced, since there isn’t grinding, random encounters, way too long bosses, or a boring as hell earlygame.

Unlike most JRPGs it doesn’t get way better past the first couple hours, so you could probably get a good feel for whether you’ll like it if you try it out yourself.

15. ArcusC says:

Having found myself inspired by the “have you played” article about The Witcher 3, I have taken a whole new liking to the game and will be spending most of the weekend doing my darndest to level up grumpy Geralt in order to progress the main story. (What am I saying? Obviously I will keep being distracted by side quests.)

• Umama says:

Side quests are a great way to level up anyway! I’m finally close to the end of Blood & Wine and am working on side quests myself to get to the recommended level. I’ve been playing off and on for about a year now!

• Lieutenant_Scrotes says:

I was inspired by the same article and decided to get both expansions while they were on sale.

I’m actually surprised by how much I’ve been enjoying myself, since I found the last few hours of the base game a chore.

16. Fersken says:

I was going to play some ME Andromeda, but it looks like I have to play computer mechanic instead.

Just made a brand new PC (with AMD Ryzen), everything seemed to work fine, until I tried to game. ME:A keeps crashing, so I got new memory for the PC since I did have some trouble at the beginning with the RAM I had ordered at first. A new BIOS update seemed to fix that, so I thought. The new RAM is supposed to be compatible according to MSI.

Also tried starting Shadow Warrior 2 in case it was a ME:A fault (not like it’s free of bugs). Crashed almost immediately I had resumed an old save…

A run with Memtest86+ might turn up something while I sleep. Ah… the joys of troubleshooting a new PC :/

• SooSiaal says:

Might want to look into what temperatures the cpu and ram are running up tp

• Fersken says:

I have. Temps range from 40 to 50 usually. Games don’t work long enough to raise them any higher.

Anyways, Memtest86+ gave me 143 errors on the new memory. Crap! And it’s running at a far slower speed than it’s supposed to support. Now I got to test the individual modules.

• Emperor Norton I says:

One thing that caused me no end of troubles one time were motherboard power settings. Power-saver mode on the motherboard can lead to it cutting power to the video card just as it really gets going, causing mysterious and apparently uncaused crashes. Go into the BIOS and make sure the power settings are for max performance.

• Fersken says:

Doesn’t Windows take over when it’s started though? I’ll check them out, but it I got some errors on the memory test, see my answer above to SooSiaal.

• SquarePeg says:

I had a similar problem with a PC that I built in 2009. A dual channel 8gb ddr3 1600 kit I bought from Newegg wouldn’t run as dual channel and only clocked at 800mhz. I rma’d the memory and the next kit wouldn’t even boot. So for me it ended up being the motherboard that was the problem. I sent the old mobo back for a different brand and had no problems. Your mileage may vary of course.

17. Agnosticus says:

Rocket League!
    Started playing 3s solo, won all 10 placement matches, got ranked diamond 2 div 4, went on winning the 11th –> diamond 3 div 3…gadda love the new ranking system! not sure I really belong there yet, but it feels good! :D

Also some R6:Siege and some DoW III beta

18. hughie522 says:

I’ve been alternating between Overlord (first time I’ve played it) and The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (which I’m returning to for the first time since pre-Skyrim when I didn’t really get it).

19. lglethal says:

Have been having a lot of fun with Stellaris and Total Warhammer, but beginning to think its time to pull out another rpg. I’ve had Tomb Raider sitting there for a while, maybe i’ll pull it out and see if its as good as the 2nd one (Rise of the Tomb Raider), yes I know I’m playing them backwards, but it’s all good! :) (hopefully! :P)

20. Risingson says:

I woke up, somehow re installed the old PC version of Dynablaster, and got hooked for a couple of hours.

This week I tried the remastered System Shock 1, just to realize that it was a game that I enjoyed inmensely in 1995. In 1995. Also I found out many level design decisions that were so ahead of its time that Skyrim is still using them. So yay to whoever wrote a piece on how Doom revolutionised level design, ironically.

I am also struggling with another oldie, Thief Gold. I don’t feel the freedom, I just feel the zombies everywhere.

nitwit says:

I have an embarrassing addiction to Player Unknown’s Battle Grounds, so I’m sure my friends and I will be forming elite squads, looting buildings for the best gear, and then dying to a headshot without ever seeing our killers. That’s pretty much how it goes.

Whenever that gets frustrating, I’ll continue with Night in the Woods. I’m only on the second chapter, but I’m already hooked.

Also, I finally downloaded Hitman Absolution.(Which has gone untouched in my Steam library for about a year.)

• Unclepauly says:

Why play Absolution when there’s 3 or 4 better Hitman games out there? It really is kinda terrible as a Hitman game. It’s just passable as a quasi-stealth/action game.

john_silence says:

Mmmmmh… So I guess Prey is a disappointment then. I’m guessing that’s what Adam is playing. Damn, the one game I pre-ordered. Through cdkeys though (prices almost as low as G2A, legit keys, did my research – they work a bit like play.com used to in the noughties); so it’s 50% off from the start. You’d think Arkane’s pedigree and those lengthy gameplay videos edited outside the publisher’s direct control would suffice, wouldn’t you?

I’m trying to finish Dishonored the first; but maybe I can’t do it, it’s really stressful to navigate a level when you’re trying to uncover every secret. The density ends up quite exhausting. Maybe that simulated apartment block dreamt up by the initiators of the immersive sim would end up quite suffocating. Oh well, I’ll still take that if the flipside of that coin is the utter vanity of open worlds filled with repetitive, meaningless content.

Also got Inside from that pre-order deal for Little Nightmares on GOG (what’s with me and preorders right now?).

The national occupation this Sunday is picking two candidates for presiding us. So as usual watching from the sidelines as people go to exert their tiny bit of interactive agency and convince themselves they had an influence because their choice aligned with the majority, or lament because the system wasn’t programmed to take it into account at all. It’s all a big video game, you see, and designed by committee.
    Sorry, person I could have ended up voting for! You’re 1/47 000 000th less likely to end up in office.

• Hilloh says:

More likely Outlast 2 than Prey, as it’s coming out earlier and is much more horror game than Prey seems to be.

john_silence says:

Right you are most likely! I was indeed a bit surprised to read Prey described as a horror game without qualifications. I’d lost track of Outlast 2 after the many delays, not being super interested in it.

• Unsheep says:

Prey was never intended to be horror game though, it’s an FPS game. Arkane themselves describe it as a ‘sci-fi thriller’, which IS a fitting description based on what I’ve seen. It was never meant to be an Oulast/Amnesia clone, whoever told you that must not have read anything about the game … or played anything else apart from ‘Outlast/Amnesia’ clones.

john_silence says:

I’m not sure if that was intended for Hilloh or me but in any case I concur! There seems to be a healthy horror element to the game, à la System Shock mixed with The Thing-style paranoia, but with bins and towels turning on you instead of NPC companions :) Yet it is not a horror game per se as far as I know.

• Unclepauly says:

I’ve heard people say it’s Dishonored in space with System Shock influences.

23. skeletortoise says:

I have a cold and the weather’s crap, so much more than normal, accompanied by frowning as I wonder if I feel better or worse than I did fifteen minutes ago. Plus, hopefully I can finally finish this book on the Mexican American war. My book backlog ain’t quite my steam backlog, but I feel just about as embarrassed by out.

I’ll definitely take a few cracks at Westerado again. It wasn’t my intention, but I’ve been playing it as a roguelike by starting a new game every time I die (once it was just because I’d gotten a lot of money for a quest, so losing my cash was frustrating), so I may as well play on iron man mode. It’s not random but it is fairly dynamic/reactive, so it’s basically old west Groundhog Day. Once I’ve uncovered everything in individual lives I’ll probably take a serious crack at finishing it one go.

I’ve also been watching some trash zombie television, which has booted up that weird part of my brain that thinks about the optimal way of trying to survive an apocalypse and inevitably leads me to playing Project Zomboid. It’s always good for a chunk of time, but I usually end up frustrated as by default the balance doesn’t permit much more than short term scavenging before your inevitable failure, but if I try turn the settings down it ends up easy enough that I manage to be so well set up that I get bored when I have little left to do but farm.

Plus TF2, for old times sake. Trying to find good servers, it seems like 70% are fast respawn and are horribly unbalanced to one team or other because player turnover is huge.

• malkav11 says:

I could swear that your actual target in Westerado is randomized. I haven’t played it myself but I recall all the buzz suggesting as much.

• skeletortoise says:

Ah, good point, I think upper you’re right. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen contradictory clues between playthroughs. And it would definitely be lame if you could find them by recognition every round. It’s pretty fitting that a violent revenge tale the identity of the ultimate avengee be somewhat arbitrary.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

They’re always different. One thing you can do if you want is to basically walk up to every cowboy and accuse them until you find the right one. Cue end game sequence that almost ruins the game.

24. NetharSpinos says:

I suspect I will be continuing the retread of Fallout 4, and cleaning up the map as Bretonnia in Total Warhammer. We were going to binge on the Dawn of War 3 Beta, but disappointment has been the initial experience so perhaps instead we will all save £40 next week. Flatout 4 has been abandoned in favour of not having an anyeurism.

25. PixelSapiens says:

Just wanted to say that the comment section of the “What are we all playing this weekend” articles has been the source of quite a bit of hidden gems for months now, thanks everyone!

As for me, I’m again in my cyclical obsession in which I spend hours trying to get the perfect palette for a couple of ASCII roguelikes and then trying not to get bounced by them.
    Having a bit more luck everytime though!

Ben King says:

I’m away from my PC and console housesitting this weekend so it’s doodling D&D maps for me. However if I was home it would be Elysium Project aka Vanilla WoW 1.12, and Witcher 3. I never have actually played any wow, so it doesn’t have much nostalgia for me, but there’s definitely something magic about seeing those vast cities populated with hundreds of players milling about. My GF and I blew through Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime last week so we’re looking for another good couch coop, maybe that crazy kitchen one?

• LennyLeonardUK says:

Overcooked??. You should definitely play it if your looking for a fantastic co-op game. I have enjoyed hours of fun playing it with friends.

Another great co-op game to consider is Towerfall Ascension, which is also great.

• floogles says:

Obscure is a nice couch co-op game. Very much B horror, but tons of fun with 2p.

27. star5CR34M says:

Kingdom: New Lands, Titanfall 2, and some Kerbal Space Program. Also have to play now the lawn and finish mulching around my fence, but it’s rainy today so I have an excuse to game.

zinzan says:

Hmmmmmmm Playing more Combat Mission PBeM, trying to avoid getting dragged into gardening, doing the minimum necessary to keep kids under control and maybe watching the Rugby.
    Oh & thanks to RPS getting dragged into a Beta test for a game that I have no idea about :)

29. malkav11 says:

Not quite sure, to be honest. I think probably some more Hex (they’ve just announced that they’re going to be rotating the Chark Mart PvE pack soonish and I’m like “what? but I haven’t had a chance to buy a single one yet and you’re charging 30k for one. Are you mental? I have 30-odd mercenaries left to upgrade – not counting the ones I don’t have yet – and a couple hundred chests to spin. Please let me actually sink some gold on that stuff too!”) but I could also see roguelikes or Elder Scrolls Online. And I certainly plan to play some more Andromeda, as well as hopefully a touch of the multiplayer (which seemed fun in our brief fling with it a couple weeks ago).

30. Zenicetus says:

Probably a bit of Endless Space 2 early access, while I try to put off yard work. I’ve had a string of bad random starts recently, but a new game gave me a location that looks insanely good for turtling and building up a strike force, before breaking out of the constellation. The game still needs a lot of balance work before release, and there are some odd design decisions, but it scratches a different itch than Stellaris.

I might also reinstall Dawn of War 2. The recent article here about DoW3 reminded me that I had fun with DoW2, and I never did play the expansions I bought for it.

31. Umama says:

I’m contemplating Kerbal. It’s sat in my library for some time intimidating me. Does anyone know whether it’s gotten more idiot-friendly since release?

Very close to finishing Blood and Wine. I’m doing the Knight for Hire side quest to work towards the recommended level.

Also close to finishing Xcom 2 (I think) or if not the CLOCK OF DOOM will soon finish me.

Also playing Night in the Woods, Total Warhammer, Dragon Age Origins, Valkyria Chronicles, and others. Gaming ADD means playing all the games forever.

• star5CR34M says:

It hasn’t gotten any easier, but there are modes that give more of a progression than the original full sandbox. You’ll have to watch some youtube videos for a lot of the basics and more complicated techniques (just getting into orbit requires a few basic steps that you won’t know right off the bat, let alone something like meeting up with an object already in orbit to make a space station or refuel). But it is one of the most rewarding gaming experiences I’ve ever encountered, I’ll never forget the first time I landed a craft on the Mun to release a rover, or rescuing an errant Kerbal lost in orbit from a failed mission that ran out of fuel.

• Rainshine says:

I’d actually say it’s gotten harder; they’ve added additional mechanics to account for in successful launches. Every time I start up a game, I inevitably get to a point where I’m doing fine and can fly to Eve or somesuch, make one tweak to my craft before my next Kerbin launch, and can’t even break orbit. Then I reverse the tweak and STILL can’t break orbit. Then I start the build all over and can’t even make 40k because it spins apart or tips or just pinwheels and I give up.
        But it is fun until that point still.

• Umama says:

I’ve done some very basic stuff in it so far, but yeah I can see that it is going to get difficult quickly. I’m not against that, but I think I might need to set aside a day for it (with YouTube to help) to really get into it. I do like some of the career mode aspects as I appreciate having specific missions to undertake, and I’m a sucker for tech trees.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Persona 5 forever and ever and ever. Just took down the second Palace so now it is time for hang-outs and studying. The monster designs in this game are the best.

Picked up Everything last night and it is pretty David A’lrighty. It is very relaxing and meditative. Perhaps my new favourite walking sim.

• Torgen says:

ooo! I was reading the Steam reviews for Everything earlier today. I suppose it’s totally freeform? I’m just wondering if it has any staying power. I’m hoping the RPS chaps will chime in with the thinkings soon.

33. fish99 says:

Just started a third playthrough of Bloodborne, first 2 bosses down. The one criticism I have of Bloodborne is there aren’t many build types to switch things up.

Also need to kill the final Dark Souls 3 DLC boss, Midir.

34. Snowskeeper says:

Fallout 4 and Stellaris, mostly.

In Fallout 4, the Director of the Institute is now masquerading as the Silver Shroud wearing in a gas-mask painted like a clown’s face, so that nobody finds out who she is when she operates on the surface. That’s working out okay.

In Stellaris, the Faded Jingr Principality, a race of bugs who believe they already conquered a galaxy and subsequently ascended from it, are currently trapped between a fallen empire and a Federation the size of half the galaxy. Finding somebody to declare war on, so that I can obtain more research points and get even further ahead of the rabble, is going to be hard.

• Risingson says:

About what you say of Fallout 4: it is a very funny trope used in classic adventure stories. I had a lot of fun reading Ivanhoe, where a lot of characters do tge Clark Kent jusr wearing a hoodie.

Captain Narol says:

Age of Gladiators !

Someone mentionned it in the comments of a RPS article about another gladiator-themed game, found that it was on sale for a ridiculous price and had good reviews, dived in and got totally hooked !

Also, Magic Duels and Warbands Bushido, as always.

36. Jonfon says:

Stellaris. My peaceful “tall” race of techno love crabs (which sounds like an affliction you’d get at mid 90s raves) is still the hugest fleet in the galaxy. Trying to get a war I was diplomatically dragged into finished so I can get a federation going.

As we speak / write though I’m playing “watch rubbish on tv” as the midget humans who live with me have taken over the pc and are having so much fun stomping around as lego Ents that I don’t have the heart to kick them off.

37. Rainshine says:

Stellaris. The robot revolution has begun — they’ve started becoming leaders in my society. They’re the founding members of almost half my planets now, including a Gaia.

Trying out Subnautica, and being frankly terrified by the sounds.
    And another game that I keep crashing into the ground when I try to fly, so there’s that.

38. mpk says:

Mass Effect: Andromeda.

I played the opening segment last night, up until I got the Tempest. It’s a fantastic start, although I’ve struggled to get to grips with the more freeform combat style after becoming so used to ME3’s cover-hugging-shenanigans.

Today I’ve installed two replacement HDs and am reinstalling everything because I am a great big idiot and why am I even doing this.

quasiotter says:

I just finished crying my way through Life is Strange, so I’ll plan on feeling empty this weekend. I need a new daytime-in-the-Spring game for next week… maybe Zeno Clash or Mushroom 11? The Talos Principle and Firewatch are also in my daytime-game queue, but those seem like they’d fit better in Summer.

Might start Penumbra: Twilight of the Archaic tonight, or work on a walking sim gallery with my friend. :)

kwaylood says:

Just finished Hyper Light Drifter and the newgame+ mode looks like fun but I’ll leave it in the background for a while. I’ve enjoyed it immensely, thoroughly recommended if you like slashy-slash stab stabs. Quite good to pick up for 10-15 minutes every now and then.

I’ve just started Shadow of Mordor as Commander Ladystab and it’s cracking good stabby stab fun as well. The story is garbage and seems to have spoiled itself in the opening scene but the nemesis system is particularly hilarious when played nonchalant…

*attempt to stealth-kill random orc and discover it’s a captain with stealth immunity*

Orc Captain: “Ranger! The scar you gave me still burns.”

Me: “I’m sorry, have we met?”

41. Barberetti says:

Managed to get a couple of hours in on my Minecraft mod, then jumped into a game of 7 Days To Die with a friend. We decided to forgo the usual base building malarkey and instead head to the nearest city and see how long we can survive in there with whatever loot we can pillage from the place.

Great fun so far!

42. Gomer_Pyle says:

Continuing with war thunder, as well as some CoH2 MP after a long time not playing, so I’ll see how that goes.

43. nitric22 says:

I’ve been glued to my dualshock, trying to harden myself to the opening area of Bloodborne. Dying. Over. And over. But unlike Dark Souls 1, which I only managed to care about for 30 minutes or so, I’m nearing my 7 hour mark and still enjoying my own relentless clumsiness and fragility as I grow ever more confident and capable. If the gods smile on me, I may one day reach the next lantern.

44. batraz says:

Playing a tale of terror called “election day” in my country. It’s a weird game : a lottery of some sort is used to determine how our country is going to be ruled for the next five years. Wish us good luck, british and american friends !

45. noodlecake says:

Almost at the end of Sexy Brutale. Really enjoying it! I feel like the first three quarters of the game the puzzles were a bit too simple. I saved the first pair by accident and really quickly.

Also I bought Flinthook. Haven’t played much of it but it seems really fun in short bursts.

darrrrkvengeance says:

My PC backlog continues to be a mile long, and yet another weekend will pass w/out my making a dent in it bc of Persona 5. Just based on my Social Link progress, I’m guessing I’m about 50-60% of the way through.

Comment on this story