Baobab’s Mausoleum is a JRPG inspired by Twin Peaks

All right, please remain seated because there’s a lot going on with this one. Baobab’s Mausoleum [official site] is an upcoming episodic, sometimes point-and-click, sometimes JRPG about a vampire eggplant FBI agent called Watrucio investigating a town known as Flamingo’s Creek which only appears every 25 years within the confines of a nightmare. Look, I know. You think you have it bad? I’m the one trying to explain it on a Monday morning. Luckily, there’s a trailer that does some of that for me. Use your eyes to see it.

It’s inspired by Twin Peaks, Monkey Island and Zelda Link’s Awakening DX, says the developer, which is a very specific Zelda game to name check. Here you’ll be helping agent Watrucio escape from the nightmarish town, which we’re told includes inhabitants such as wendigos, monsters and “cosmic laser chickens”. It’s planned to be broken up into three episodes, the first of which is called “Ovnifagos Don’t Eat Flamingos”. OVNI is the acronym for UFO in Spanish (Objeto Volador No Identificado), which makes sense as developer Jacob Jazz is based in Madrid. So Ovnifago is something like “UFOphage”. Not sure where the flamingos come in. Not sure about any of this, to be honest.

There’s no release date as yet, this is strictly a “coming soon” type deal. But it looked strange and I know how you like eating loads of biscuits and looking at unusual things.

From this site

1. malkav11 says:

Sold in one sentence.

2. Pogs says:

I just had to get up and dance to the music! Everybody samba! It’s Carnival!

3. thekelvingreen says:

It may be because Link’s Awakening was itself inspired by Twin Peaks.

4. Dewal says:

Not very found of the style, seems very heavy loaded and not clear at all, especially the texts which are hard to read. Plus, its seems to be silly for the sake of being silly.

The static effect is only for the trailer or is it part of the game ?

5. poliovaccine says:

As much as I love Twin Peaks, I’m wishing more and more to see things inspired by their damned selves for a change. The eggplant angle doesnt endear me either.

6. smeaa mario says:

Let’s hope this doesn’t turn out to be another game that tries way too hard to be cutesy, and ignores the gameplay side of things in the meantime. Bah, who am I kidding?

The music made me bring out the maracas though. Can’t lie about that.

7. April March says:

There’s a fine line between interestingly bizarre and incomprehensibly overindulgent, and this dev is on the right side of the line, but only barely, and drunk off his arse.

MajorLag says:

I do like me some surreal shit. Keeping an eye out.

9. Nixitur says:

Ouh, I dig this a whole lot. It seems to be surreal in a really unsettling way which I enjoy a huge deal.