Psycho-Pass: Mandatory Happiness spins off onto PC

Psycho-Pass: Mandatory Happiness [official site], a visual novel spin-off from the dystopian anime Psycho-Pass, is now out on PC. Psycho-Pass, I’ll briefly explain, is set in a near-future Japan watched over by a surveillance system constantly assessing everyone’s likelihood they’ll commit crimes. On the rare occasion someone gets all crime-y, in come special futurecops — some of whom are themselves judged dangerous by the system — armed with futureguns whose use is also ruled by the system. And this is a visual novel telling a new story in that world.

Rather than retell the anime, Mandatory Happiness has its own stories including some new characters of its own. I prefer my adaptations that way, as retellings often unravel between the different strengths of different mediums and come off bland or daft. A bit like Westwood’s ace Blade Runner game, this is set in background of the anime, in the same world but free to do its own thing.

Here, check out these fast pictures and loud noises:

Psycho-Pass was one of the more pleasant surprises as I poked through Netflix’s anime section. As sci-fi often will, it has fun establishing a society shaped by a philosophy and technology then picking at all the consequences and flaws of that. It’s pretty fun? Pretty pretty too.

Psycho-Pass: Mandatory Happiness is out for £22.99/$29.99 on Steam. It’s made by 5pb with Mages and published by NIS America. Its initial release was on console in Japan in 2015, followed by a western release in September 2016. Now it’s on Windows.

From this site

1. Dominic Tarason says:

I’ve always described Psycho-Pass as Minority Report, But Less Stupid. There’s still some plot holes and some things that could have gone a little more thoroughly explored, but it definitely goes beyond the ‘This person is possibly consider a crime, SEND IN THE SWAT TEAM, WEAPONS HOT’ nonsense of the Tom Cruise film.

And yes, I know it’s an adaptation of a Philip K Dick short story.

2. Scott says:

So…

…is it shit? There’s no User Reviews on Steam yet, and after some Googling I’ve not seen a lot about the PC version.

I thought the first season of P-P was the best anime I’d ever seen. Then the second season took the story off a cliff, with the movie only somewhat redeeming the franchise. This game should be an instant buy for someone like me (although with that price…), yet the show’s ups and downs has made me a little distrustful.

Don Reba says:

You’re clouding up your hue, citizen. Beware!

Honestly, I don’t think the second season deserves nearly the amount of derision it is getting. It is a little rough around the edges on account of tighter production deadlines, but very much on the same general level as the first one.

After several botched attempts, Production IG finally succeeded in making an anime for the GITS audience, but without the aging Mamoru Oshii. It’s amazing!

3. int says:

I hate it when someone makes a psycho-pass at me.

4. April March says:

I’m pretty sure the second guy from the left is from Trigun.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

I’m pretty sure the second guy from the left is from Trigun every anime ever.

• Darth Gangrel says:

So its not just me who thinks that anime characters look alike.

They can try to hide it with different hair colours and a thousand accessories, but the deja vu is so frequent that it becomes a trope. Hopefully/probably they differ in other ways than looks, because otherwise it would be bad.

Comment on this story