Forza Horizon 3 going wacky with Hot Wheels expansion

TrackMania-style kooky racing is coming to Forza Horizon 3 [official site] in May with an expansion styled after Mattel’s Hot Wheels toy cars. Horizoneers will get to roll along walls and leap through fire on some delightfully unrealistic tracks in snazzy new cars. I am always in favour of these shenanigans in every single driving game. Even serious sims should add loop-de-loops and backflips so we can watch millions of Euros of car crash and burn.

Another patch is in the works too, bringing performance improvements and support for a wider range of steering wheel peripherals.

But first, a look at zoomcars:

Ten new cars are coming in the expansion, a mix of real cars and ones Hot Wheels make up. The official word is:

“Forza Horizon 3 Hot Wheels takes players to six new themed islands located off the coast of Australia; all connected by a network of Hot Wheels tracks – positioned hundreds of feet in the air – featuring classic Hot Wheels configurations like loops, corkscrews, and more. This is stunt driving at its most extreme, where you can master tracks by performing brand new Hot Wheels skills that make use of boost pads, high-bank turns, half-pipes, insane jumps, and even giant mechanical dinosaurs. If you’re looking to get creative, check out the new Stunt Swap feature to modify stunt track sections and dare your friends to try them.”

Hot Wheels cars have popped up in Rocket League recently too. Please put these cars and their stunts everywhere. Give me those icy hot stuntaz.

A big patch is due alongside the expansion, free for all players. A Turn 10 chap said on a forum yesterday that “changes include improved new support for numerous popular driving wheels, improved CPU performance, additional graphical options, and more.”

Forza Horizon 3 Hot Wheels is due on May 9th, costing $19.99 by itself or coming as part of the DLC season pass which also includes Blizzard Mountain. FH3 is still only on Windows 10 in the Windows Store. It does have a demo now, mind.

Drib says:

You know, I like the recent trend of gaming to stop being so damned realistic and just play sometimes.

Look at this! Hot Wheels tracks! With all the grim depression in some games, here’s something silly and fun!

A+ work if you ask me.

2. Pich says:

How does the Windows Store version run?

• grundus says:

Honestly not great, I’m running it on a 4690k at stock clocks, 16GB and a GTX 1080 and I get between 30 and 80fps. It’s clear why, too – it runs on a single core! Core 0 is at 100% from launch until it crashes, which happens maybe three times a day.

On the other hand, the frame rate is predictable and averages at about 50fps, with G-Sync you don’t really notice until it’s in the low 40s. Also the game is so much fun I don’t really care, I mean yeah, a steady 60 would be great but what can you do.

• KikYu0 says:

Its a Horrible “Port”.
      On my System its “Okay”.. but Well:
      GTX1080,i7-6850K, M.2 NVM PCIe, Asus X99-E bla..
      i Guess u need a lot of Power/Money to Play “Okay”

• grundus says:

Well not really, it’s a CPU bottleneck so regardless of what you give it, it’ll only ever run “ok”. I’m sure people with a GTX 1060 or 970 would have a mostly identical experience to us (with our 1080s), and those with a 5GHz 7700k would have the best experience, since that’s the best CPU for single core performance. I know that’s still not exactly budget but you don’t need an X99 motherboard and -E CPU to get “ok” performance.

3. iainl says:

Part of me really wants the game. Part of me remembers how badly the demo runs on my GTX770, so I’m hoping the patches for wheels and performance come across, or I’ll probably leave it until I get a new card in a year or so.

Mind you, I’m also a bit grumpy about how much more it is for the PC release than it is for the Xbox, when getting the latter would also include the PC if I actually had a console. It’s frankly ridiculous.