Spec me up: Prey PC system requirements confirmed

If you’ve been cooing and making kissy faces through the window at the upcoming new Prey [official site], Arkane’s sci-fi remix of Dishonored, you might have heard a demo is out today. It’s not for us. No, the demo with the first hour-or-so of the game is only for consoles. Given how many big games launch with performance problems, it’s a shame we won’t get to have a crack on our own PCs. Publishers Bethesda have at least confirmed system requirements, which give… a vague indication of how it might potentially run? Check your spec:

Minimum

CPU: Intel i5-2400, AMD FX-8320
GPU: GTX 660 2GB, AMD Radeon 7850 2GB
Memory: 8 GB

Recommended

CPU: Intel i7-2600K, AMD FX-8350
GPU: GTX 970 4GB, AMD R9 290 4GB
Memory: 16 GB

That’s all good and well on paper but in reality, who knows? Now that Steam gives out refunds more freely, it will be possible to buy Prey, play it for up to two hours to get a sense of how it runs, then refund if it’s wonked, but that process sucks. It’s a chore to go through, and buying a good-lookin’ game only to discover it doesn’t run well is a big disappointment. Of course, it might run just dandy. It might be all sunshine and rainbows blasted into your eyes at 180fps. I do not know. But this sucks when a demo is on consoles.

I have no insider knowledge but I would be surprised if this last week before the game’s launch next Friday, May 5th, isn’t being used to polish up the PC version. Given the response to Dishonored 2 — which is a neat-o game beneath its technical problems, to be clear — I can’t imagine Bethesda much fancy a repeat of that.

As for what’s in the advanced graphics options menu (the most exciting part of any PC game for some, I know), Bethesda say to expect:

• Object Detail
  • Shadow Quality
  • Texture Quality
  • Anisotropic Filtering
  • Anti-Aliasing
  • Horizontal Field of View
  • Screen Space Directional Occlusion
  • Screen Space Reflections

You can always watch our Alec play that first hour (or with commentary), if you’d like.

From this site

1. Earl-Grey says:

So, just a teeny tiny tad lower requirements than Dishonored 2.
    If I remember correctly this uses the same engine as Dishonored 2, no?

G-Lord says:

It’s not the same engine (luckily). Prey uses a modified CryEngine.

• geisler says:

Quite right. Dishonored 2 on the other hand used the Void Engine, based on a heavily modified idTech 5.

• haldolium says:

luckily? CE can be even more of a disaster when it comes to optimization and performance issues as idTech. CE games frequently have a very poor performance/visual proportion and scale badly downwards.
        Especially these days with many proprietary engines delivering visuals equally great for what the CE once had ahead of them, I really do not welcome the choice.

I highly hope PREY will have a professional touch from programmers with excellent CE knowledge.

• Earl-Grey says:

Oh! Well that’s potentially good news though, isn’t it?

Don’t know where I got the idea that Dishonored 2 and Prey shared the same engine!
        Maybe I just automatically assumed Arkane used the same engine for both games.

AutonomyLost says:

I s’pose I’ll have to download the PS4 demo tonight and see what it’s all about. I watched some footage but am interested in playing the first hour or whatever myself. Looking forward to reviews of this one.

3. brucethemoose says:

I don’t like it when they only use high end, old hardware as the only baseline. To me, that says “Yeah, we had some equipment from 2011 lying around. We dusted it off, and the port starts up and runs on that! So it’s ready for PC!”.

I know that’s not the reality, but reguardless, for a company that’s done VERY well (sales wise) on PC before, they don’t seem to have much enthusiasm for the platform.

• Veav says:

They had my pre-order until they left PC off the demo list. I couldn’t handwave that. :/

• Scelous says:

I took it more from a marketing standpoint as, “We don’t want to alienate our PC base, especially casuals or poor people, so let’s not even go near the newer high-end stuff.”

That’s how I received it, anyways. Which I don’t think is bad.

• fish99 says:

970 isn’t exactly top end, and never was, and that’s recommended not minimum. Minimum is a 660 which was mid-range when it was new, which is a long time ago now.

4. ColonelFlanders says:

I’m sceptical about the PC release of this. Dishonored 2 didn’t exactly run like butter when it came out, and frankly isn’t even with the updates. I will be holding fire on this one for a few weeks after release I think

• Jaykera says:

Exactly. I love Arkane and I’m a huge Dishonored fan but the demo not being released for PC looks a bit suspicious.

I’ve completed Dishonored 2 multiple times on a high end PC and it’s still not buttery smooth. The fps are there but something feels wrong. (Maybe frame pacing that appears to be a thing these days)

I seriously doubt DH2 will ever be as smooth as the first. They don’t seem to be in a hurry to improve it.

phuzz says:

Nice to see my graphics card is still hitting “recommended” spec.

• ColonelFlanders says:

I think the GTX970 will be the card to have for at least another 18 months. When I finally have to retire mine I think I’ll go for a 2nd gen ryzen while I’m at it.

6. Unclepauly says:

That sad part is the specs are 480P for the min and 720P for the recommended, ultra will require 12 core i7’s/36gb/dual 1080ti’s.

7. Darth Gangrel says:

As usual, I meet or exceed the requirements on Recommended, except for my graphics card (GTX 680) which is just a notch above Minimum, but it’s not like I’m gonna play Prey this year or even the next. I just finished Blackguards and it came out in 2014, which is a bit into the future as far as my backlog-riddled gaming life goes. Unreleased games are pure science fiction.

8. Blacki138 says:

Tested the PS4 Demo. The game is pretty good and looks okayish on console. But the FOV is a desaster. It’s like your wrench is glued to your shoulder. Oh… and it had input latency problems.

So imma keep my PC preorder. Dishonored 2 runs descent enough after a buttload of patches.

Comment on this story