The Foxer

Warm-Up Foxer (Who am I?)

I was a climber and an aviator. I was named by a child. I was born in Central America but spent most of my life in the Deep South. I was magnified in Manhattan. I was silent for nine years. My picture appeared in one of the world’s most famous magazines. I lived amongst limbs. Unlike Panthera pardus pardus I could change my spots. All of my offspring perished before reaching maturity. I had huge hands. I died alone.

Feature Foxer (Identify the collage theme)

*       *       *

SOLUTIONS

Last Week’s Warm-Up Foxer (defoxed by Little_Crow)

I was in Truth or Consequences, New Mexico, next to Ralph Edwards Park

Last Week’s Feature Foxer

Theme: the Victoria Line (defoxed by The Bitcher III)

a Green Party logo (Rorschach617)
b 5d stamp – 1968 (mrpier, phuzz. AFKAMC)
c Tate Britain (Syt)
d HMS Victoria – 1887 (AFKAMC)
e Vauxhall Motors logo (Matchstick)
f Subaru 360 (‘Subaru’ = the Pleiades) (phuzz)
g General Aircraft Hotspur (Matchstick)
h Parklife cover (Matchstick)
i 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment (Little_Crow)
j Warren Beatty (Stugle, Matchstick)
k Oxford Tracked Carrier (phuzz)
l A Finsbury Park Deltic (Matchstick)

From this site

1. Stugle says:

The double towers in the top right are the San Remo building in New York City: link to en.wikipedia.org

• Shiloh says:

Which I saw in real life last week, in yet another case of Flare Path imitating life.

No idea why, but for a long time I thought that that was the Dakota building, of John Lennon notoriety.

• Stugle says:

With Gothnak solving the theme, it’s apparent the building is not the San Remo, but rather the Eldorado:

link to en.wikipedia.org

In my defense, they look very similar to the untrained eye.

2. Shiloh says:

Cap badge of the Royal Artillery right there.

3. AFKAMC says:

Two towers?

The cartoony pirate guy appears to have an F4U Corsair flying out of his hat. So two corsairs?

Is the bearded guy in the shades Roger Taylor, the drummer of Queen? The other Roger Taylor was the drummer of Duran Duran. So two drummers?

Is the theme doubles?

4. Shiloh says:

I think the bald chap is Tim McInnerny of Blackadder fame.

5. AbyssUK says:

The idol bottom left is from TinTin – The idol with the broken ear .. well am pretty sure it is…

In the story its cloned.. so with AFKAMC’s guess seems to work

Syt says:

The lady is Millicent Fawcett, feminist and suffragette.

7. Shiloh says:

I’m assuming the “TIPPED” image at the bottom (with the feather in the hat) is some kind of cigarette advert?

8. Stugle says:

The picture of the robot is from the game Z, I believe.

9. Stugle says:

The building beneath the ‘TIPPED’ word, is that an airship hangar? It looks fairly big and I think I see an open door on the right side of the image.

10. Gothnak says:

If that is Harrison Ford, then i go for:

Percy Harrison Fawcett went to go and find the mysterious city of Z:

link to en.wikipedia.org

11. Gothnak says:

For the warm up foxer (never attempted these before) I’m going for Dali’s Ocelot, Babou:

link to anothermag.com

12. AFKAMC says:

Who’s the little knight with the shield, right at the bottom to the very left of the blue segment? He looks familiar, like the logo of a publisher or something – but not Ian Allan nor Panini.

My poor brain also spewed Tate & Lyle out of its memory banks, but that’s a sugar cube (holding a sword and shield), not a knight!

13. Gothnak says:

Another stupid question, what is the robot/futuristic sportsman in the bottom right or can’t i see it in the comments?

14. phlebas says:

The parrot is Paco, from the adventure game version of Michael Crichton’s Amazon:
    link to mobygames.com

• The Bitcher III says:

Fantastic, I got completely sidetracked trying to place him. I bought the game at one of those Ally Pally fairs for a few quid, just because he was on the cover. None of the archives I trawled have a record of that particular cover.

15. The Bitcher III says:

My herpetology is not strong, but I imagine the snake is an anaconda, a reference to Percy Harrison Fawcett’s unlikely account of shooting an anaconda the length of a swimming pool.

Comment on this story