Update: Yup, it’s now official. THQ Nordic have announced that Darksiders 3 is coming in 2018, made with the former Vigil Games folks at Gunfire Games.
It seems a Darksiders 3 [official site] will indeed rise from the ruins of THQ with more Apocalyptic action, as listings for it have unexpectedly popped up on Amazon. This time, Fury will be the Horseman riding out to duff up monsters. This is not officially official yet, mind, as Darksiders owner THQ Nordic haven’t announced any such game. But the Amazon listing is right there and doesn’t look like a prank. THQ Nordic have said for years that they wanted to make a third Darksiders, so here we go?
The Amazon listing says that Fury will be Metroidvaniaing her way across Earth to murder the Seven Deadly Sins and bring balance to the Force and whatnot. Supposedly it’s being made by Gunfire Games, who are a studio founded by members of Darksiders devs Vigil Games after the studio shut down during the collapse of publisher and owner THQ. Gunfire recently made THQ Nordic’s remastered rereleases of the first two games. And THQ Nordic, to refresh your memory, are not a reformation of THQ but rather the publisher formerly known as Nordic Games, who have bought the rights to a load of THQ’s games as well as their name and enough skin to make a cloak.
The Amazon page drops these product-tastic bullet points about Darksiders 3:
- Play as Fury – a mage who must rely on her whip and magic to restore the balance between good and evil on Earth!
- Harness Fury’s magic to unleash her various forms – each granting her access to new weapons, moves and traversal abilities
- Explore an open-ended, living, free-form game world in which Fury moves back and forth between environments to uncover secrets while advancing the story
- Defeat the Seven Deadly Sins and their servants who range from mystical creatures to degenerated beings
- Darksiders signature art style – expansive post-apocalyptic environments that take the player from the heights of heaven to the depths of hell, dilapidated by war and decay and overrun by nature
(And yes, Darksiders does play loose with the canonical Horsemen of the Apocalypse – here they’re War, Death, Strife, and Fury.)
THQ Nordic have been paving the way for Darksiders 3 for a while. Since buying the series, they’ve released those remasters of the first two games and muttered several times that they’d like to make a third. While this is still unofficial and unconfirmed, it seems likely it’s real. The Amazon listing says it’ll arrive on December 31st, 2018, which probably translates to “an unconfirmed point in 2018.”
Assuming this is real, I’d guess an announcement was due to come during E3 season, which is — oh god! — now just over a month away. I’m predicting that THQ Nordic will issue a wry statement hinting that maybe news is coming soon, as if we haven’t seen all this already. I’ve dropped ’em a line.
Ta to Gematsu for pointing this out.