Darksiders 3 is coming in 2018 [updated]

Update: Yup, it’s now official. THQ Nordic have announced that Darksiders 3 is coming in 2018, made with the former Vigil Games folks at Gunfire Games.

It seems a Darksiders 3 [official site] will indeed rise from the ruins of THQ with more Apocalyptic action, as listings for it have unexpectedly popped up on Amazon. This time, Fury will be the Horseman riding out to duff up monsters. This is not officially official yet, mind, as Darksiders owner THQ Nordic haven’t announced any such game. But the Amazon listing is right there and doesn’t look like a prank. THQ Nordic have said for years that they wanted to make a third Darksiders, so here we go?

The Amazon listing says that Fury will be Metroidvaniaing her way across Earth to murder the Seven Deadly Sins and bring balance to the Force and whatnot. Supposedly it’s being made by Gunfire Games, who are a studio founded by members of Darksiders devs Vigil Games after the studio shut down during the collapse of publisher and owner THQ. Gunfire recently made THQ Nordic’s remastered rereleases of the first two games. And THQ Nordic, to refresh your memory, are not a reformation of THQ but rather the publisher formerly known as Nordic Games, who have bought the rights to a load of THQ’s games as well as their name and enough skin to make a cloak.

The Amazon page drops these product-tastic bullet points about Darksiders 3:

• Play as Fury – a mage who must rely on her whip and magic to restore the balance between good and evil on Earth!
  • Harness Fury’s magic to unleash her various forms – each granting her access to new weapons, moves and traversal abilities
  • Explore an open-ended, living, free-form game world in which Fury moves back and forth between environments to uncover secrets while advancing the story
  • Defeat the Seven Deadly Sins and their servants who range from mystical creatures to degenerated beings
  • Darksiders signature art style – expansive post-apocalyptic environments that take the player from the heights of heaven to the depths of hell, dilapidated by war and decay and overrun by nature

Sounds like Darksiders to me! Which is quite a good thing to be. Old Man Rossignol got a bit frustrated with the first game but John flipping adored the second.

(And yes, Darksiders does play loose with the canonical Horsemen of the Apocalypse – here they’re War, Death, Strife, and Fury.)

THQ Nordic have been paving the way for Darksiders 3 for a while. Since buying the series, they’ve released those remasters of the first two games and muttered several times that they’d like to make a third. While this is still unofficial and unconfirmed, it seems likely it’s real. The Amazon listing says it’ll arrive on December 31st, 2018, which probably translates to “an unconfirmed point in 2018.”

Assuming this is real, I’d guess an announcement was due to come during E3 season, which is — oh god! — now just over a month away. I’m predicting that THQ Nordic will issue a wry statement hinting that maybe news is coming soon, as if we haven’t seen all this already. I’ve dropped ’em a line.

Ta to Gematsu for pointing this out.

1. Imaginary Llamas says:

Pleased that a new Darksiders game is coming, but how much longer will we have to wait until we get a continuation of the first game’s ending and deliver a righteous smackdown to Heaven and Hell with all 4 Horsemen?

• brucethemoose says:

Co-op with the nephilim siblings is exactly what I want. AI-controlled allies would be lovely too, if co-op netcode or split-screen isn’t feasible.

But yeah, this is good news. I wouldn’t call Darksiders I/II one of the best games I’ve played, but I’m oddly fond of the universe for some reason… Seems like alot of people are.

• smeaa mario says:

I don’t think that will happen before all four horsemen have lived through their own stories. My opinion is that a 5th game is going to bring clarity to everything.

• brucethemoose says:

If we get to the 5th game, that is.

I was kinda hoping that Fury/Strife would share 3, and that 4 would bring in the 4 horsemen.

• PancakeWizard says:

Each getting their own game is what I want, personally. First, it means more games, and second it means they all get equal billing and their own fleshed out backstory. When that four-way game finally arrives, it’s going to be well earned.

2. Xocrates says:

First of all: Yay!

I like that it seems it’s going back to post-apocalyptic earth. The mix between modern architecture and fantasy stuff was something I really liked from the first game aesthetic, whereas the environments of the second one always felt a bit too generic.

I do wonder if they’re going to keep the gameplay from the second one or go back to something more along the lines of the first.

• PancakeWizard says:

Hopefully the second. I can’t really understand why some didn’t like the change to a loot system. The Legend of Zelda recently did the same thing and everyone can’t get enough of it *shrug*.

• Xocrates says:

I was thinking more along the lines of linear “metroidvania” like the first, or open world like the second.

Though I wonder mostly because the second one felt like it bit more than it could chew, and as a result only the first area felt like it was really finished. They might want to cut costs and go back to the more contained style of the first game.

Earl-Grey says:

I was going to act all knowledgeable and ask why she isn’t Pestilence or Famine.
    But then I looked up the Wikipedia page for the Horsemen of the Apocalypse and I’ll be damned if I’m going to read through all that crap just for Biblical trivia points.
    WHY ARE THERE SO MANY?

• Xocrates says:

Skimming through that page, it seems like Death is the only one we know is one of them, so frankly it doesn’t even seem to matter that much.

But the more likely reason is that War, Death, Strife, and Fury seemed more badass for a game inspired – but certainly distinct – by christian mythology that looks like an heavy metal album cover.

Earl-Grey says:

You wanna know what I ended up reading instead?
        The Warhammer wiki.
        Waaay more fun. And relevant! Got Total Warhammer in a sale during the weekend.

• pepperfez says:

There’s a really shocking amount of overlap between the two, actually. I mean, Revelation is basically a prediction of the grim darkness of the far future, so it makes some sense.

• SaintAn says:

Warhammer Fantasy is Total Warhammer. Warhammer 40K is a different unconnected thing.

• pepperfez says:

True. I probably should have gone with “Both are setting you up for the End Times,” but tbh I didn’t read the last sentence of the comment before I replied.

• SaintAn says:

@pepperfez I don’t think many people take End Times as canon. Imo End Times is fake news.

• SaintAn says:

The wiki’s are terrible for Warhammer Fantasy information, especially the 4chan one for edgy teens. The YouTube’s are bad too. Should read the novels, they’re a much better source of information on the setting. Most of the wiki’s are outdated or wrong, and reading them instead of the novels you miss out on the feel of the world, the personality and thoughts of the characters, the races cultures, how the smallfolk think and react to events, you can see what characters thought as they witnessed the genocide of their entire race or faced terrible odds, etc. And the novels are pretty well written, so they’re enjoyable to read. I’ve been reading through Warhammer Fantasy novels for the last few years and love them.

• pepperfez says:

But they’re neglecting Conquest, who “went out conquering and to conquer” with a white horse, crown and bow and who, again, is named Conquest. That’s very nearly the definition of badass, plus they could meet their female-protagonist-with-bow quota.

• brucethemoose says:

Well the Biblical horsemen aren’t nephilim either, and the Darksider nephilim are also very different than Biblical angel/human nephilim. Darksiders is very liberal with it’s interpretation of mythology, even compared to other mixed-mythology fiction, so don’t get too bogged down in the “why?” part.

And AFAIK the real horsemen are supposed to be physical embodiments of their titles, and little else.

• gabrielonuris says:

If you wanna see the exact description of the four horsemen, go to the book of revelations, chapter 6, versicle 1 to 8.

Or, if you wanna see them in their exact biblic representation, just play Hexen 2. They’re level bosses.

• HothMonster says:

Well I really buggered that link.

• Saarlaender39 says:

The bible says:

The first horse is white, and the horseman carries a crown and a bow (=conquest)
        The second horse is red, and the horseman carries the power to take peace from earth and a sword (=war)
        The third horse is black, and the horseman carries a pair of balances (=famine)
        The fourth horse is pale, and the horseman’s name is death, and hell followes him (=death, obv.)
        link to upload.wikimedia.org

• PancakeWizard says:

Joe Mad’s mythology is quite different. The Horsemen here are four members of a divine super-race called Nephilim. The Nephilim were at risk of destroying everything, so these four betrayed and killed every single one of their brothers and sisters under orders from Charred Council to maintain balance between Heaven, Hell and Earth. Their weapons and steeds were gifts for that purpose.

4. kud13 says:

YAY!

Really like this series, it really fills the void left behind by the Legacy of Kain series in my heart.

The fact that that they re-recruited Vigil to make this is even better.

• Sam250 says:

You’re on my plane, Kud. Raziel sucked in my soul when I was a child and now I hunger for these dark fantasy exploration action games. The first God of War was another fantastic example (not so much the sequels, because even if the combat was slightly better the writing was dramatically worse), and both Lords of Shadow games, too (the second made a bunch of disappointing decisions but isn’t nearly as bad as they say).

I’m so glad to hear this news. The possibility of Darksiders being a dead franchise really sucked.

Neurotic says:

I read the DS2 review linked here, and before I even got to the end I’d bought it. Can’t wait to try it at long last!

6. Suits says:

This is great news, I adore this series and looks like we can finally continue the saga!

Nauallis says:

Huh. Seems a little soon for a sequel to Horizon Zero Dawn, but okay.

• Xocrates says:

Or Enslaved,
      Or Last of Us,
      Or Crysis,

or… you know… Darksiders.

8. kud13 says:

There is also now a trailer on IGN. It’s really happening! Happy day.

9. Chaoslord AJ says:

Ds 1/2 didn’t quite work that well as metroidvanias but certainly scratched that Zelda itch of getting useful items, exploring dungeons and fighting powerful bosses. Glad there’ll be some more.

10. Darth Gangrel says:

Played both Darksiders, but couldn’t find the will to finish either of them. It’s got great voice acting, environments and a nice, bombastic story, but I simply don’t like some of the inherent features of that type of game.

The second had less annoying stuff, but I still found plenty of stuff to get annoyed by, so I’m not exactly looking forward to Darksiders 3, but I’ll probably play it once it’s down to like 5 euros.

• Sam250 says:

What “inherent features”? Just curious.

• Darth Gangrel says:

I’m so glad you asked! Basically, the game feels quite consolized and grindy, with filler content like platform puzzles and enemies. The platforming puzzles aren’t exactly bad, but I wouldn’t mind if they completely disappeared or were minimized. Traversing walls and climbing/jumping feels great, except that you can only do that at specific places, which limits the joy of freely exploring the wonderful environments, something that e.g. the Deus Ex series has.

Deus Ex is kind of my standard for things I like in games with checkpoints and Darksiders (especially the first one) has plenty of stuff not present in Deus Ex, including annoying boss fights, checkpoints, small indoor environments with automatically closing doors after 5 seconds (so you can’t move from one room to the other without needing to select the door and wait for the “open door animation” to stop).

I also don’t like seeing chests or areas I can’t explore yet, knowing that you’re supposed to come back to these areas after you’ve gained the necessary item which enables you to get to that area. That really irritates my completionist self, because I want to be finished with an area the first time I’m there.

In combat I feel like I’m never able to execute the fancy moves and everything reverts to basic hack and slash moves. That’s my fault for not taking the time to learn the moves on the fly, but doesn’t make the experience any better or enemy encounters less frustrating/grindy. That feeling is increased with boss/miniboss monsters.

I could find more things to complain about, but that covers most of it.

11. SaintAn says:

Shame, I wanted a horseman about plagues and famine.

• pepperfez says:

I wanted a hero who killed her enemies by making declarations about grain prices.

12. Rince says:

Nice. Maybe with this new protagonist I will finally play a Darksiders game.
    I have the first one sitting there. I bought it on impulse, but I never tried it. The mountain of muscle dude protagonist isn’t really my thing.

13. Darkmessage says:

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    ooooooooooooooooooohooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I’m hyped, can you tell?

14. April March says:

I’m very amused that the mage (i.e. the least punchy one) is the one called Fury.