Nier: Automata’s arena DLC 3C3C1D119440927 released

Nier: Automata [official site] is so wonderful and complete in itself that I might be happy to skip DLC and not even play again for a fair while. I’ll return later, absolutely, but for now I might pass on the DLC released today. 3C3C1D119440927 is its name, and adding arena battles and costumes is its game. Given that this is Nier: Automata, I suspect it may be more complicated than that. I mean, beyond the fact that it has battles against the CEOs of Square Enix and PlatinumGames; that’s not even a secret. Here, have a gander at the DLC’s launch trailer:

Oh hell, what am I saying? I absolutely do want to fight those fights. I might feel bad bashing those bots but they seem up for it.

3C3C1D119440927 adds three coliseums across the world (you may have previously found their entrances?) with arena battles, offering prizes like several costumes of characters from the first Nier and bits like coloured hair sprays. Also in are new songs and, Squeenix say, “Masks with unique ‘on equip’ effects.” I wonder what those do. Please don’t tell me; let me find out for myself.

The 3C3C1D119440927 DLC is £9.49/13,99€/$13.99 on Steam.

I had hoped that the DLC might be accompanied by a patch fixing some of Nier: Automata’s technical problems but no, apparently not. Once again, try this player-made tool to fix some of the issues. The Nier team have said they were investigating reports of problems but nothing useful has come of that yet.

1. Seafoam says:

player.additem 3C3C1D119440927 1

2. int says:

Great name for a DLC. Most witty!

• CartonofMilk says:

yeah but most people won’t get it…

• Obi-Sean says:

I bought this game the day after release because of the glowing reviews. I understand a lot of complex plots without a wiki to fill me in (You don’t have to try and impress me, Morty!). This one…. I was unsure why I should care about the ending. I cared before it. A lot of the character interactions and some of the quirkier things like removing your OS chip kept me going. But after getting to the end, I thought it fell flat.

I think a lot of it comes back to this comment. I’m sure it’s witty, but I don’t get it. Most people won’t get it. Hate to say it, but I skipped Nier, played this one, and will skip the rest. Making it so I have to search my soul and the Internet for answers (which I did) isn’t going to convince me that I missed something worth caring about. Even most threads I found where people like myself were lost: a lot of it was conjecture.

All this going to convince me of is that they think they’re so clever, they purposely don’t explain enough to make sure their audience is mostly confused, and prefer to keep it that way. Which is fine. It’s just not for me.

• bchan009 says:

Just curious, how many times did you complete the game? I know you looked up answers on the net but the second and third times through the game are VERY different story-wise (third play through being a completely different game that takes place after the events of the first two) and wrap up the story.

First ending isn’t really much of an ending. I’d feel super let down if I ended there.

• Obi-Sean says:

I beat it all times over. 2B, 9S, A2, and both of their endings.

• wackazoa says:

Only thing I want to know is does the game tell you that you need to play 3 times? I mean never playing one of the Drakengard/Nier games, and supposing I never look on the internet for game info, just buying the game and playing it once would I instinctively know to keep playing?

I usually have a tough time playing games to the end. I have ADD and it makes remembering what the hell is going on in games that take awhile to beat & with complex story lines very hard, especially when my gaming time is so inconsistent (I might play for 3-4 hours this week, none for the next 2 weeks, and maybe 10-12 hours the 4th week).

So having said that, does the game let on in a obvious way that to know the “true” ending I need to play it 3 times? Or does it do a “to be continued” thing that might could just be viewed as to expect a sequel?

• Obi-Sean says:

It tells you.

Don Reba says:

It’s strange that they release a DLC before the patch that is so sorely needed. Sure enough, the Steam announcement has gathered hundreds and hundreds of unhappy comments.

• fish99 says:

There’s also a shit-storm on Steam over the price of the game in Asia, where it only just released. Apparently the price quadrupled at launch or something.

Styxie says:

Stupid sexy robots.

5. Teledahn says:

I would ask why the anime martial arts ninja cyborg is wearing lingerie but I think the question unfortunately answers itself.

• wackazoa says:

Something something Japan something?

• Kodaemon says:

Actually, all of the costumes are throwbacks to the first Nier. The lingerie in particular was worn by an ostracised intersex character, with the implication being she wore it as a “screw the haters” statement. The more you know!