S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Lost Alpha Developer’s Cut released

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Lost Alpha [ModDB page], the fantastic free standalone mod inspired by bits of Shadow of Chernobyl that appeared in alpha versions but were cut for the final release, is now properly out. Craig adored the version released in 2014, so a big update is fantastic news. You might remember Dezowave reluctantly released 2014’s unfinished (but still great) version after scamps leaked a rough development build. Now they’ve launched what they’re calling the Developer’s Cut of Lost Alpha, fixing bugs and making it even bigger. Have a look:

The Developer’s Cut expands some areas, adds more sidequests, adds more wildlife and tweaks mutant behaviour so they’re more likely to scrap, pops in two weapons from S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat as well as borrowing CoP’s weapon and armour upgrade system, tweaks the graphics, improves car handling, re-enables NPCs wandering around searching for artefacts and looting bodies, makes NPCs hum and whistle again (ambiance!), rebalances items, adds several types of flashlight and night vision goggles (please don’t go out at night, just to be safe), fixes a load of bugs, and so much more. Check the changelog for everything.

The Developer’s Cut sounds like a great addition to something that was already smashing. Craig said of 2014’s release:

“It’s still Stalker, still based on the first game, but at the same time it’s not. It’s as close to a remix as I’ve ever come across in gaming, bringing in new elements, but still reminding me of the original. It’s all different, but if you loved the first Stalker, instead of reinstalling the original and modding it, when this is fixed it’ll be your next install. I guarantee it.”

That’s an official Stone Cold Craig Pearson Guarantee, so be sure to collect if you skip Lost Alpha. But why would you?

Downloading Lost Alpha Developer’s Cut is slightly fiddly for now. You’ll need to download v1.3000 from 2014, which comes in four parts (1 2 3 4), then download this megapatch which contains the Developer’s Cut and several subquence small patches. If you already have Lost Alpha installed, you’ll need different downloads depending on which version you have – go look. Dezowave plan to release one single installer once they’re done popping up small patches to correct problems in the Developer’s Cut.

The developers say they might expand Lost Alpha a bit in the future, adding things including more new areas.

From this site

1. arkiruthis says:

I don’t know that I will ever tire of this game.

2. Jay Load says:

It’s as close to a sequel as we’ll ever get (holds back a tear). I’m currently inhabiting the world of Subnautica* but could definitely be enticed out for another trip to The Zone.

*Another game with a strong Bestiary, if not the same magical level of emergent behaviour. But maybe I’m expecting too much – they are only fish.

3. BobbyDylan says:

Awe yeah. Been playing Escape from Tarkov quite a lot lately, and wishing it was more like STALKER. Even started a Fallout Survival playthough with realistic weapon mods.
    So stoked for this, I’ll be downloading tonight.

4. haldolium says:

That FireStarter soundtrack though…

5. Jokerme says:

Okay, I just started played STALKER recently, so I’m still at the beginning area. Should I play this or the original?

I’m not interested in texture mods or visual detail mods, mind you. I’m more interested in atmosphere, story, and ease of play.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Yes, some form of mod is recommended. The original can be buggy and unbalanced.

• krikitarmy says:

For ease of play, Call of Pripyat is your best option. But in my opinion the ideal starting point is Shadow Over Chernobyl. I wouldn’t recommend starting with Lost Alpha.

I’ve spent some time in Lost Alpha and words I would use to describe it are Remix and Love Letter. I think that you’ll want to play the original first to appreciate Lost Alpha.

• vgamesx1 says:

I agree with everyone else, play the original first with mods that fix bugs, also agree that Pripyat is easily the best but for me, nothing beats the sense of wonder you get the first time playing Chernobyl and I think they nailed the feeling of the atmosphere and exploration perfectly.

6. CartonofMilk says:

Does it make a terrible game into a good one?

Still will never understand how anyone playing SOC could forgive all the badly designed half assed crap that was to be found in this game. I had followed the development for years and that was one of the biggest letdown of the 00’s for me.

Never tried Call of Priapus…i mean Pripyat. Fooled me once and all that.

• Sin Vega says:

That’s a shame, because I too think the first one is awful, but the third fixed all the major issues it had and was a vastly better game for it.

I stopped playing it after reaching a point in the plot where I decided only an idiot would keep going, and instead my character promptly turned round, told his bosses the people he was looking for were dead, and went home. Fuck the Zone.

The third game also lets you play Call of Chernobyl, a huge mod that combines all three games into a massive open world with lots of bonus features like playing as a member of any faction, and the clever Azazel mode, in which getting killed causes you to possess a random NPC anywhere in the zone (any AI mooks you have with you will come first). Typically you’ll end up in another area entirely, but every once in a while you’ll warp into one of the soldiers who just killed you.

• caff says:

Completely agree. Call of Pripyat is the best in the series by a country mile. Just start with that, then get into the mods.

• natebud says:

I’m kind of curious exactly when you stopped playing the game and why.

• manny says:

After first playing stalker oblivion lost mod, both stock stalker and priprat are rather lame.
        Stalkers success is actually due to it being a russian morrowind with guns. You don’t know what is happening half the time and you stumble along until something stops you. (for me, a bug)
        After this sense of wonder is lost, it is rather boring. Also quite annoying the dogs are not faster, should be as fast as that invisible monster which you can barely run away from.

• Numerical says:

Wow. By far one of the best FPS games ever to be released. Sure, it’s buggy but the atmosphere is very unique and the rpg elements make it a cut above most other shooters.

• jj2112 says:

Yes. I quit the game the moment I saw ten guards trying to go through the same door at once.

• fish99 says:

Stalker has some clunky mechanics, but it has the best atmosphere you’ll find in an FPS, a fascinating world and story and excellent ballistics. I’m assuming you barely played it.

• natebud says:

Everybody picks up that first short AK in Cordon and expects to become an unstoppable killing machine, but as soon as they realize it’s practically useless (and described as useless in the inventory) they either accept it and play until they get a better gun or quit the game outright because all the shooting mechanics must be bad.

7. Syrion says:

I always thought this was actually the old alpha build that was leaked or released by GSC themselves from years before the games’ release, or at least based on it. Now, I read their description, but I’m not sure I fully understand. The way I do, this is actually based on the released Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl game, but they tried to a) “remake” as much content as possible that was known to have been cut during the games’ development, b) incorporated some of the content of the actual released/leaked alpha, c) on top of that developed some stuff of their own liking and d) now incorporated content from Call of Pripyat.

Is this correct? It’s all a bit confusing. If it is correct, how legal is it, considering it’s a free release? Shouldn’t it be a mod of some sort?

Either way it looks really good. I’ve only ever played Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl and I absolutely adored it, without any mods whatsoever, right after release. It may have been buggy, although I don’t recall encountering any major problems. It was definitely somewhat underdeveloped. But, what there was was absolutely fantastic for me. So, if the original game modded is even better, as well as Call of Pripyat and now this Lost Alpha thingie, cool! Lots of different ways to play a great game. If only I had time for it…

I have one nice memory, though:
    Get out of here, stalker!

• fish99 says:

That’s nearly right, except it doesn’t have the same ending as SoC and some of the story is different. SoC has a better last few hours, a much better Power Plant section, an NPC who explains the whole story to you, and 7 endings, including some that wrap the story up nicely. Lost Alphas end is honestly pretty weak. It also has a very silly sequence that’s full of Half-Life jokes, which doesn’t fit the tone of the game.

Stalker fans definitely need to play Lost Alpha, 95% of it is great, it’s huge, and being able to take a vehicle through the whole game is a game changer, but if you’re only going to play one Stalker game I’d still go with SoC (with graphic mods).

(note:this is all based on the old version not the Directors Cut)

8. kud13 says:

I hate to be the one to say this, Alice:

That video clearly says “DEVELOPER’S CUT”

That being said, I need to dip back into the Zone. I love these games, and it’s been a while since I played them. This might be a perfect excuse.

Comment on this story