May the 2nd be with us: GOG launch Star Wars sale

Update: Er, GOG say they got a bit mixed-up and over-generous with the sale. Some of the games are now more expensive. Details follow at the bottom of this post.

GOG have launched a big sale on their catalogue of DRM-free Star Wars games, with discounts of 77% on everything from X-Wing to Jedi Knight. Several of them are fantastic video games. Some are good. Others are, y’know, they’re Star Wars, which is fine if you’re into that I guess. Point your star-killing peepers this-a-way.

It is cruel of me to expect you to digest a list of nineteen items, so let’s refer back to Alec’s ruling on the ten best Star Wars games. Well, the ones that are in this sale, anyway. For the rest, follow that link or pretend they were out of continuity.

9. Star Wars: Jedi Knight – Jedi Academy£1.89

Alec sez:

“As Being A Jedi action games go, this hits most nails square on the head despite a certain clunkiness of interface. In the cold light of 2015 it’s a more pleasant play than the traditionally more respected Jedi Knight II too, which despite having a stronger story suffers from some infuriating, pointlessly maze-like level design, as well as delayed gratification.”

8. Star Wars Empire at War£3.69

A blue ghost tells Alec:

“It’s a better Star Wars game than it is an RTS, basically – I mean, you get to deploy AT-ATs. Can’t argue with that. Some nice ‘what if?’ scenarios like the one pictured [below], too.”

6. Star Wars Republic Commando£1.89

A lewd ghost tells Alec:

“Realistically, Republic Commando is great in spite of being a Star Wars game rather than because of being one.”

7. Star Wars: Battlefront II£1.89

RFB2 beeps out the following to Alec:

“[2015]’s Battlefront is infinitely prettier than the now-decade-old original versions of Battlefield-does-Star-Wars, but it’s rather a hollow experience, especially compared to the scale and seamlessness of this one.”

5. Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic II: The Sith Lords£1.89 [wait, 9 8 6 7 5? this must be the Mandalorian tritfectorinary number system whose origin was told across an entire chuffing trilogy of novels -ed.]

This opinion has been retconned:

“As far as singleplayer Star Wars RPGs go, this is still the highlight, though you’ll need to manually fix it up if you want to have a decent time with it.”

4. Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance£3.29

A yoda growls to Alec:

“It’s not the best in the Star Wars space sim series, but it’s both the first fully-3D one and as such it’s the one which is holding up best, mostly thanks to the hard work of modders. Crucially, it’s also got an ongoing multiplayer community, which is where to go if the new Battlefront’s lightweight spaceship elements leave you unsatisfied.”

2. Star Wars: Dark Forces£1.19

Alec used the holy spirit to type this from across the room:

“Dark Forces lands the most effective nostalgia-punches of anything here, both in terms of FPS history and just how on-the-nose its recreation of blasting Stormtroopers in Imperial bases is. It’s even more of a big, warm hug from the past than The Force Awakens is, and in short bursts its action is as good as Star Wars evocation gets. Just avert your eyes when laughably none-more-90s protagonist Kyle Katarn appears in cutscenes.”

1. Star Wars: TIE Fighter£3.29

An uncanny digital ghost of Alec delivered this judgement:

“TIE Fighter is the first major Star Wars title to try and show the other side of the coin. For decades it was evil emperor this, heroic rebellion that, then TIE Fighter is all ‘uh, the Empire are just trying to keep the galaxy safe but Mon Mothma’s terrorist cell keeps attacking people.’ That, coupled with its microscope focus on just one pilot, means TIE Fighter is also Imperial Career Simulator, showing more of how the Empire’s military works beyond Big Scary Space Magic Guy.”

Of course, Alec tried to show a spectrum of Star Wars games in that list rather than just cram it full of Jedi Knight, X-Wing, and TIE Fighter games. Just cos it’s not on the list, doesn’t mean it’s not good. Except for Rebel Assault, which is indeed not good.

GOG’s Star Wars sale will run until 11am on May the 12th.

And that mix-up I mentioned? Since writing this post, GOG have told us:

“We initially launched the Star Wars Sale with a 77% discount on all games. Unfortunately, it was done by mistake on our side and had to be changed. So the games are now up to 77% off (till May 4th, when they’ll get a -75%) and the highest discount includes: Battlefront II, Dark Forces, Empire at War Gold, Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast, Jedi Knight Dark Forces 2, Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, Knights of the Old Republic, Knights of the Old Republic II, Republic Commando and Starfighter. The 8 remaining titles had to go down to 60% off while Shadows of the Empire is 33% off.”

The updated prices (reflected in this post) aren’t bad but they are worse. Congrats to everyone who got X-Wing and TIE Fighter cheaper!

Top comments

Earl-Grey says:

So the titular Star Wars are about interstellar trade rights for coffee beans?
  1. SprintJack says:

Cylons infiltrated Star Wars universe? Somebody better call Starbuck!

Earl-Grey says:

Star Wars is the one with the Babylonians and their fancy space station, right?

Grizzly says:

No that’s Star Trek :-)
      Star Wars is the one with the slightly unsavoury captain piloting a disc-like ship and getting his crew into adventures.

subdog says:

staring eyes tag.

4. haldolium says:

judging by how often these very selected few SW games are on sale, by now every human on earth should have 3 copies of the complete lineup.

Great teaser though!

5. Kefren says:

I thought it was weird that they have a warning that you have to sign up to Disney’s T&Cs for each game. Normally it’s part of the install process and not flagged up as a separate requirement on the store page – I’ve never seen that before. I already have T&Cs and EULAs coming out of my arse.

6. Rogerio Martins says:

Gotta love that borg pic.

7. Merry says:

Damn. Got ’em all :(

8. lrbaumard says:

Does no one like Force Commander?
    Might have been first game i ever played, swiftly followed by Medieval total war.. 1

John Walker says:

90% game, I’m told.

• Rogerio Martins says:

The problem was that it was slow, God it was a slow game, the troops took forever to walk the map…. or maybe I just had a slow pc, regardless, the slowness was the memory that stuck with me.

• NetharSpinos says:

I remember Force Commander! It was alright, in its way.
      I like to think of it as a sort of spiritual predecessor to Dawn of War 1.

Also, Rebellion. So many childhood hours spent with that game. A shining example that graphics are unnecesaary to make a game great. (Though we knew it as Supremacy, of course.)

• Ieolus says:

Rebellion (Supremacy to you chaps) is one of the best strategy games ever made… if not for the horrible UI, other people might share that same opinion.

9. Chairman_Pow says:

What’s the hivemind consensus on Jedi Knight II multiplayer vs Jedi Knight III multiplayer? I seem to recall much preferring JKII, but can’t remember why.

• Dreggsao says:

Basically indistinguishable once you are done installing mods.

• Chairman_Pow says:

I see! I think the only real difference was I was a little but older and more aware of the strife and sadness in the world, colouring all my thoughts and feelings a shade more grey.

I’ll pick one up and play with some lazer swords!

10. Pogs says:

If you get one game not on this list but still in the sale, get the first KOTOR – Alec plumped for KOTOR2 in his top 10 list for some random reason. I disagree – get the first KOTOR! Hell get them both, spend big!

Andy_Panthro says:

I tried to play KOTOR last year and found it more than a bit dull… I’m assuming it gets better later on, but the initial few hours didn’t do anything for me.

• Darth Gangrel says:

Quite the contrary, I find the first few hours of Kotor to be one of the best openings of any game I’ve played. The intro is part of the reason why I’ve replayed it so many times and I why I remember it much more fondly than Kotor 2, which had a more dull intro.

I’ve played all the good Star Wars games already, so I’m thinking about whether I should play something outside my FPS/RPG preferences, like some spaceship game. I know all about the praise for the X-Wing, TIE Fighter games and Rogue Squadron, but how is Star Wars Starfighter?

• zarthrag says:

Played through KOTOR multiple times, having a blast each time for the different endings. KOTOR2, I couldn’t stomach my way past the whole “Dude, where’s my lightsaber” bit – it was just way too buggy/incomplete.

• Marr says:

You’re really missing out. Like Vampire it’s one of those games that requires the user community bugfix patch to be playable, with that in place it’s a glorious exploration of exactly why the Jedi and Sith both need to sod off and boil their heads.

11. Bobtree says:

I picked up Galactic Battleground Saga for $1.37

12. Rizlar says:

Top two picks are clearly correct, but the biggest mistake here was dissing Rebel Assault. So it’s alright when Telltale make a linear, barely interactive story but not this? Sometimes I want to play a game with excellent FMV stormtroopers, entirely controlled with the mouse and one button! This is more galling than when they got rid of the ewok song.

• Det. Bullock says:

Rebel Assault can be completed without too much sweat with a good joystick and a light touch (a mouse is good too albeit less intuitive), the only thing is that unless you have an old stick with autofire or use the autofire function in dosbox you might find it incredibly tiring for your index finger.

But still I can admit I like it mostly for nostalgia, it’s a nice railshooter but really nothing more, the sequel is just a bit more polished.

syllopsium says:

Rebel Assault was awesome at the time, at least for about four levels. Then it encountered the ridiculously hard asteroid level, and the remainder weren’t that stunning either.

For four levels though,it was amazing.

Still haven’t played Academy. The first Jedi Knight is incredible, though, and the second fun if difficult in parts

14. Jason Lefkowitz says:

Empire at War is a pretty good game, especially at that price. The strategic layer is the game the earlier Star Wars Rebellion (which is also in the sale) wanted to be, and while the RTS ground battles are a little undercooked the space battles are good Star Wars-ey fun. I still fire up the space battle skirmish mode occasionally when I’m in the mood for a quick comp-stomp.

15. VoxClamant says:

Odd. No #3 on the list. Likely it was Kotar 1

16. Syrion says:

I’ve only played Dark Forces last year and totally loved it. I’ve always been a fan of Jedi Knight 2 and 3, which are probably somewhat dated, but still very enjoyable nowadays. I’ve also played Dark Forces 2/Jedi Knight for the first time last year, which was also very good, thankfully didn’t seem nearly as silly as the two sequels, but actually felt the most dated out of the four games due to its very primitive 3D graphics, which nowadays hold up worse than good 2D art.
    So, knowing the whole series now, I must say I love Dark Forces the most! It just feels like the most well rounded one of the bunch, it just feels… right.

17. El Goose says:

Tie Fighter is pretty tempting at this price, although do you need some kind of flight-sticky peripheral to play it, or would a mouse and keyboard work?

• Det. Bullock says:

The collector’s CD rom version included in both the Steam and GOG.com package has the same content of the windows version (“special Edition”) but doesn’t require a joystick and can be played with mouse and keyboard.
      Graphics are less shiny but you get dynamic iMuse music instead of the same CD audio track looping over the gameplay and exactly the same contents of the special edition.

18. Vanderdecken says:

Why in the name of sanity are they starting the sale on May the 2nd?

• Jason Lefkowitz says:

I’m guessing it’s timed to run up to May 4th, aka “May the Fourth Be With You”/Star Wars Day.

Ninja Dodo says:

Why do people participate in these thinly veiled marketing exercises?

I mean Star Wars is cool and all (hell, I bought some of those games on GOG just now… good deals), but it hardly deserves a day of the year devoted to it. Alien day is even worse. Seriously, marketing? What’s next? McDonalds day?

The calendar does not belong to brands.

Ninja Dodo says:

Fun fact: in the Netherlands May 4th (the day before Liberation) is the day we remember the people who died in World War II (and those in other conflicts), so while we’re trying to have a sombre and dignified moment of silence the internet is going nuts over Star Wars memes…

19. bhauck says:

I really love that whenever there’s a Star Wars article, you can count on RPS to post a picture from Firefly.

20. Frosty_2.0 says:

Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2 is still the darling of my heart (that magic boyhood nostalgia probably plays a part), the gameplay still holds up well, particularly level-design wise I reckon.

The block heads maybe don’t hold up so well ;) but mods are still floating around out there at the ancient JKHub.net & Massasi.net I think, GlowSaber/SaberBattle mods and some decent higher poly models.. assuming they still all work OK.

..Ah yes, I remember playing the heck out of the demo level ‘Fuel Station Launch’, lent to me from a friend’s magazine cover CD IIRC..

21. lazurath66 says:

So that’s what happened to Qui-Gon Jinn he became Cy-Lon Jinn lol.

22. Turkey says:

The amount of violence in these games shows that game developers never really comprehended Gene Roddenberry’s original vision for Star Wars.

• unacom says:

I believe that came to pass because Rick Berman and George Lucas united their clans, marched on Stormwind, laid siege to the keep and slew the ageless tyrant. Lucas then assumed the throne while Berman acted as his Hand and united the Kingdom under a stern but just rule. This rule didn´t last long and Berman was slain by two young brothers, Walt and Roy. They confronted Lucas in his throne-room and, after a glorious battle, vanquished him. Lucas retreated through the mass relay into the dark space. Roy fell and the grievously wounded Walt had himself encased in the Golden Throne. From there he lead his all-loving servants on a quest to take control of the whole entertainment-industry. The whole entertainment-industry? No. One small village of indomitable Northamptonians still holds out against the invaders.
      So, seeing that virtually no peaceful negotiation ever happened (save when we informed the Kilrathi of our wish to peacefully look for gold and slaves). Can you blame them?

Don´t they teach History and Moral Philosophy at SHADO-headquarter anymore?

23. MacTheGeek says:

If you’re like me, and have some Humble Store credit, their Star Wars sale is right in line with GOG’s.

24. BB Shockwave says:

So, SW Sales topic, and yet someone put a giant old style Cylon as the thumbnail image. :D