Planetary whoosher Exo One swoops onto Kickstarter

Exo One

Remember I was excited about Exo One [official site] at Rezzed? It’s that momentum-based planet explorer game where you swoosh round as a ball and a frisbee. It has also just started a crowdfunding drive on that Kickstarter platform I hear so much about these days. OBSERVE:

Said trailer offers more of an injection of the actual story behind the game than I think was included in the Rezzed build. Although the specifics of the story are different it put me in mind of the coverage around Cassini’s final few months which is unfolding on NASA’s channels at the moment. There’s a sort of desolate, space romance to the game with that sweep of movement and swell of music against sparse terrain, you know?

The Kickstarter is asking for AU$35,000 (£20k) which developer Jay Weston explains is “to complete the core game, which includes 10 more planets, a similar number of music tracks, story refinement, concept art, and the voice over narration.”

OBVIOUSLY the usual crowdfunding caveats apply and there’s a bunch more information on the funding page if you want to pick through it for further bits and bobs.

1. KillahMate says:

This game’s graphics look basically perfect. It’s pretty amazing.

2. Nelyeth says:

I don’t know why, but I always feel this warm and fuzzy tingle in my chest whenever I see a quote from RPS on a trailer here. Guess that’s because I know you lot always write wot you really think.

Boy, the things beer make me say.

3. vahnn says:

First time seeing any visuals for the game. This looks fantastic.

• Jay Load says:

Yeeeeees it does, but like No Man’s Sky where’s the Verb in the game? What is the player doing other than rolling and air-gliding? I’ll love it for the visuals but would prefer some more gameplay meat in there to keep my interest longer term. Or is it meant to be just an ambient experience?

4. fabulousfurrygingerfreakbrothers says:

Sorry for the language, but that looks fucking ace.

5. Shazbut says:

Beautiful

particlese says:

Ohhh, good on ya for the Cassini reference. I have no better words for that comparison, but I will add that both have and are pumping out some absolutely beautiful images. I’m really looking forward to playing the game myself (assuming it gets made), so thanks for posting about it!

The Almighty Moo says:

From what I saw at Rezzed it’s quite a long way along- fingers crossed on the KS though

7. brucethemoose says:

I even paused listening to Nirvana’s MTV Unplugged album to watch the trailer which, if you know how I feel about Nirvana you will appreciate is a sign of great respect.”

Are you my soulmate?

No, wrong continent, dangit…

Seriously though, I’ve had a dream like that trailer before. Will definitely give this game a shot.

8. racccoon says:

Oh my god whats next…dots!! DOTS!! I TELL YA!!

• JayExbl says:

Mmmm dots is a good idea! I’m thinking a prequel, “Exo 0.001”. You transform from a dot into an underscore.

. _

9. Unclepauly says:

Woah. blurbs Keanu

10. Ross Angus says:

Alternate name: Malteser, Minstrel, Malteser, Minstrel, Malteser, Minstrel, Malteser, Minstrel.

The Almighty Moo says:

I watched it at Rezzed and if anything the trailers do not do it justice at all. Have backed because I’d love to see this get a really strong release and hopefully it will spread more. The kickstarter isn’t asking the earth, especially how far down the line the game is. I have my fingers tightly wound for it…