Prey launch trailer launches before Prey launch

Prey [official site] is not out until Friday but its launch trailer is already here. That might seem a silly mistake from publishers Bethesda but hey, they haven’t even realised that Prey was already the name of a seemingly unrelated first-person shooter from 2006 – a game which Bethesda themselves own the rights to! Still, it’s fine as the chunks of Prey we’ve played make Arkane Studios’ Prey seem a fine sci-fi shooter in a similar vein to their splendid Dishonored. You could watch the launch trailer now or save it for Friday to watch while wearing a paper hat and pretending you’re at the launch party.

In another curious twist, Bethesda seem to have released a thumping trailer for a different game, perhaps even the 2006 Prey made by Human Head. Prey as portrayed by this trailer seems far more of a megablaster than the Prey we’ve played.

Here’s a hunk of what Alec wrote after his most recent spell with Prey (2017):

“So yes, in some respects this is more of a sci-fi remix of Dishonored than I’d thought it was in my first play session. Nowt wrong with that, quite the opposite in fact. I didn’t click with Dishonored 2 to the extent many people (rightfully) did, purely because the setting and structure felt a little too similar to Dishonored 1’s.

“The idea of transplanting the same ethos into a very different environment, with very different powers and foes, appeals that much more. At the same time, it doesn’t feel like Dishonored – this is more like the haunted spaces of Bio- and System Shock than the living cities of its stablemate or its other key touchstone, Deus Ex.”

Many of Bethesda’s other Prey videos were far more in that tone but hey, we’re in Launch City now baby. Strap yourself in, buckle up, and put your seatbelt on.

Me, I’m mostly in it to use spacemagic to transform into a stack of fluffy towels and to stab myself in the eye.

1. CyborgHobbit says:

It pleases me every time a piece on Prey (2017) mentions “Prey was already the name of a seemingly unrelated first-person shooter from 2006 – a game which Bethesda themselves own the rights to”.

2. Otterley says:

You’d imagine eye-stabbing to be a really impractical way of applying meds/nanites. What if you look about during the procedure? Bound to break off the needles.

3. Blake Casimir says:

Leaving aside the rather asinine arguments people are having over the use of the name…

HOLY CRAP IT’S A NEW AAA IMMERSIVE SIM, AND IT’S SCI FI

How often does this happen? I haven’t been so psyched for a new AAA game release for a long, long time. I’m completely ready for this. But then I’m such a huge System Shock and Thief fan and similar games are very very thin on the ground…

• pH101 says:

You should check out deus ex remakes – pretty good.

• Zenicetus says:

It may be sci-fi, and I wish there were more of them, but it sure does look like it’s using a lot of hoary, cliche’d tropes. Infested space station, aliens running amok, you’re the only one that can save the situation and you’re all alone doing it. Meh.

There appears to be one conservation-of-mass/energy defying trick where you can turn into a coffee cup for sneaking. But aside from that, haven’t we seen all this before? Why can’t they do something more interesting as a premise than “stop the aliens infesting your spaceship/station?

• Turkey says:

I just can’t divorce this Prey from the wet dream that was the original Prey 2 concept. I want to Deus Ex on a space station full of seedy aliens so bad.

4. Chaz says:

Yeah it looks nice, but I still would have prefered to see the game where you play the bounty hunter taking down alien perps.

5. StranaMente says:

On a somewhat related note, Zenimax/Bethesda pulled a “Scroll” again with the small company making a game named “Prey for the Gods” that recently ran a successful kickstarter for a game inspired by Shadow of the Colossus.
    Now the game has to be named “Praey for the gods”.
    Here’s their side of the story.
    Thanks again Zenimax’s lawyers.

AutonomyLost says:

I just fell in love after watching the Kickstarter pitch. Wow.

It’s late, and I’ll be sleeping imminently; I can’t be “arsed”, as it were (I’m from the States, so please accept and excuse my air-quotes), to offer a worthy explanation as to why the changing of the name is infinitely fucked up. I can only say, if what StranaMente above says is accurate, what a time to be alive and appreciate the vision of others. The prosecutors responsible are the embodiment of justice!

Also, to reiterate: I live in the States. Send help.

• Unclepauly says:

Have you heard the good news? Help is here and it’s already underway. Trumpland

By the way this Prey looks awesome and so does that kickstarted game Praey for the Gods.

6. The Sombrero Kid says:

Company feels people reporting on their games makes them ‘press sneak fucks’.
    Company felt it was prudent to release hours and hours of footage of their single player narrative game on youtube months before release.
    Company is withholding review code.
    Company seemingly thinks launch window coverage is a bad idea.
    Company doesn’t have great recent history of delivering on PC.
    Company withheld the PC demo despite releasing it on consoles.
    Company says the PC version will be super A-OK, promise.
    Console demo was reportedly in pretty bad shape.
    Company says those problems will also not be a problem, double promise.
    Company has a history of deep discounts 3 months after launch.

Bethesda’s PR at their best. It’d take a lot for me not to like this game but Bethesda sure have done everything in their power to persuade me not to buy it.

7. Shazbut says:

If I see one more poster of this in London advertising it with the quote “Bioshock in space”, I swear to God…

8. Dudeist says:

New necromorphs looks like a german censored version.