Civ 6’s Digital Deluxe Edition adding extra DLCs

The ‘Digital Deluxe Edition’ of Civilization 6 [official site] is to receive some extra little DLC packs for free, publishers 2K announced today, which is jolly surprising given that the game has been out for six months. 2K say that it wasn’t good enough value, so they’re making it better. And yup, folks who’ve already bought the Digital Deluxe Edition will get ’em too. Digital Deluxe Editions of games tend to strike me as cheeky ways to exploit fandom, offering trinkets and baubles in exchange for an extra £10 or £20, so it’s weird to see a publisher actually care about whether one is good value or not.

Civ 6’s DDE (as all the cool kids call them) costs £20 more than the regular edition (a.k.a. ‘the reg’), in return offering the soundtrack and four DLC packs – a sort of season pass. These four DLCs have added extra civilisations, with their own unique leaders and units and whatnot, along with new scenarios. Bought separately, those come out at £21.46 so the DDE is hardly a bargain considering some DLCs haven’t been great and you can’t pick-and-choose the ones you actually want.

2K now say they’re going to throw in another two future Civilization & Scenario Packs, which “will introduce three new leaders representing civilizations from Africa and Southeast Asia,” into the deal. Assuming those packs follow the same price scheme, that’ll be another £7.98 of Civ.

“It’s important to us that wherever Civilization fans live around the world, that the Digital Deluxe edition provides a great value,” 2K say in today’s announcement. “We saw that prices with certain currencies didn’t live up to the savings we’re looking to deliver,” they explain.

I don’t know if it was great value in any currency before but another £8 of Civ does make it better value.

Those two Civ & Scen Packs (kids and their lingo!) are due “in the coming months.”

In the meantime, Civ 6 has a 33% discount in a sale on Steam for the next week. That makes it £33.49/40,19€/$40.19 for the reg and — I wouldn’t usually even mention this — £46.89/53,59€/$53.99 for the DDE.

Firaxis have kept patching Civ 6 since its launch in October 2016, most recently with the Spring Update in March. Its changes including fiddling with warmonger penalties and the AI. Still some work to be done!

From this site

1. FurryLippedSquid says:

“Still some work to be done!”

I’ll say, it’s still full of little bugs, none of them are particularly serious though.

2. Nevard says:

I agree that this was necessary to make it financially worth it but I’m confused at which DLCs “weren’t great”.
    They were all either one or two new civs, no? Fairly equivalent in value? Did you just… not like one of them?

• AngoraFish says:

No. One of the DLCs is the Vikings Scenario Pack, which is almost completely useless if you never play anything other than the base game. Which by most accounts is pretty much eveybody. (There are a couple of throw aways wonders and city states as well, but seriously.)

Two of the three others are just single civs for $5, which still seems pretty steep when you consider that there are already 18 civs in the base game at $3.33 each even if you exclude the fact that you get an entire game system with those ones… but sure, at that point your personal estimate of value may vary.

Regardless, the Deluxe edition was sold as “four post-launch DLC packs” for a “bundled discount” “*Save vs buying DLC packs a la carte.” In fact this is a bunch of nickle and dime packs that barely break even cost-wise in most currencies. And the whole looming disaster was only saved from being an even worse deal by the devs bundling two civs into the most recent DLC pack instead of one and putting a premium price on it.

• carewolf says:

They were each about 1€ worth of content, but priced at 10. That makes them all suck ass objectively speaking.

3. Troubletcat says:

It’s good to see them doing this. There was a lot of concern from the community about the value of the deluxe edition.

Civ 6 is pretty flawed but its much better than Civ V was before it got its expansions. If it improves as much as Civ V did, it might finally equal Civ IV as the best one. Maybe.

That’s assuming they bring on the real expansions instead of just contiuning to nickle and dime with small-scale DLC.

4. Jason Lefkowitz says:

It’s weird how Firaxis, which is a very smart company, has had so much trouble coming up with a DLC strategy for their products that actually works. Not just for Civ VI, but for previous products like Beyond Earth, Civ V, and XCOM as well. They have yet to come up with a DLC lineup for any of their games that consistently hits the “I have to buy this” mark.

It feels like they oscillate between extremes, swinging back and forth from DLCs that are cheap but don’t add anything really compelling to big, meaty expansions that do but come with a hefty enough price tag attached to push them out of the realm of the impulse buy. They feel like DLC strategies devised by an alien who’s heard that humans like to buy add-on products for games, but doesn’t really understand why.

Like I said above, it’s a smart company full of smart people, so it’s hard to understand why this particular nut has proven so difficult for them to crack.

• Xocrates says:

Your comment sounded reasonable enough to me until I considered what other options Firaxis would actually have.

Pretty much the only other option they have for Civ would be to release mini-expansions that, somehow, manage to work independently. But quite frankly I would rather have one meaty expansion that’s consistent throughout, than 3 mini-expansions that either require one another or might not work together that well, which might lead to the game feeling bloated.

• Zorgulon says:

I believe the issue has two parts:

1) DLC schedules are partly set by 2K, the publisher, rather than Firaxis, the developer. Small packs of DLC content and Digital Deluxe Editions are the nature of the market nowadays, and it’s likely that 2K told the developers they’d have to abide by that schema before a fully fledged expansion would be considered (and I am confident it will).

2) Taking 1) into account, this leaves the developers only with the option of adding modular content (which means new civs, leaders, wonders, etc) as the a la carte DLCs. Your traditional strategy game “expansion packs” usually have substantial new features and rulesets that can’t be swapped in and out. It would be a nightmare to try and balance a game where players are playing by different rules completely depending on which DLC they have installed or not.

It’s not a case of oscillating back and forth. Firaxis still like full expansion packs. It’s just they take a year or more to develop, and 2K quite like smaller DLC to make money from in the meantime. That’s the model they pursued with Civ V and you can bet they’re going to do it for Civ VI too.

5. mpk says:

I’m still waiting for Civ 6 to become interesting enough to reinstall. Hey! Maybe there’ll be a DLC for that?

• nottorp says:

In the Civ series, an expansion that changes the game significantly is the customary way to fix a base release :)

The funny thing with these DLCS is I keep getting them for free because I bought the physical collectors/deluxe/whatever it was called. The one with the coins. I never notice the new content unless it’s mentioned in the press.

6. Rituro says:

Wake me when the GOTY edition drops. As it stands right now, I can’t justify the existing DLC prices — knock a few bucks off, though? I’m listening.

7. Jabberslops says:

The demo they released is basically the full game locked to 60 turns and 4 Civs and can be modded. I’ve been able to reach almost to deployable nuke tech by modding Stonehenge and tiles and could probably reach the end of the tech tree using a memory editor to give myself gold and complete research until Stonehenge is built at the start.

Playing the demo before and after modding it has convinced me that I should keep waiting for a steeper price drop or an expansion, because the game as it is doesn’t feel complete enough for me. That isn’t to say I don’t like the game, just that I currently still prefer to play Civ V BNW with or without No Quitters mod. I likely wont be buying the game for another year or two.

8. Joshua Northey says:

So I didn’t see anything in their about fixing the AI? As the sixth iteration of a predominantly SP game the AI is atrocious and basically makes the game unplayable unless you want to play on the highest difficulty or trounce the AI silly.

I hate hate hate what the purchasing habits of teens do to the PC gaming market, where all the DLC must be about shinies and “new content” when 9 times in 10 what every game needs as a DLC is balancing and game mechnics/AI/interface patching.

That stuff eats up just as much staff time if not more, and is generally what will actually make a game more replayable. I mean a new civ sounds fun until you are 30 minutes into your new game and it is clear you are going to win.

I wish Firaxis knew what they were doing, they are slowly killing their brand, and I used to defend them like crazy 5 years ago.

9. melnificent says:

There’s a fair number of people still waiting for the promised cross-platform support.

It started off at 60 days post-launch, then went to “soon” and was promised for definite last month, but it still hasn’t materialised.

Add in the fact that it’s still being advertised as cross-platform on the store page (MacOS requirements) and I’m disappointed that they’ve gone for new DLC over doing what has been promised since the October release.

10. BrunoSilvaRT says:

It’s kind of frustrating see how many years passed and i still can’t get the respect i wanted from the creators of a game i love. Why? Can someone tell me why a Portuguese civilization is so hard to get? Portugal was one of the biggest empires in the world. Portugal started the globalization. Portugal contribuited to the unification of Japan and i still can play with a unified Japanese leader, a Spain rulled by a leader that think he owns Portugal. Brazil!!!! What was Brazil without Portugal? I can play with USA at the ancient era and that’s kind of funny and sarcastic at the same time. Oh please…

Comment on this story