Prey devs: use Steam refunds in lieu of a demo on PC

Usually when I hear developers talking about Steam’s refund system, it’s all Wilhelm screams and gnashing of teeth because it’s a) backlash for a game shipped in a rickety state b) the brutal bursting of an impossible hype bubble or c) calculating scrooges have worked out that they can blast through something short and still be eligible to get their cash back. Rare is the day when I hear a dev actively encouraging use of the system if a player’s not enjoying their game.

That’s the line taken by Prey [official site] lead dev (and nemesis of press sneaks the world over) Raphael Colantonio. Unlike the console versions of Bethesda and Arkane’s System Shock’em-up, there’s no demo available for PC. There’s no need, argues Colantonio, cos you can just holler at Steam’s refund elves instead. Hmm.

Defending the lack of a PC demo in an interview with Ausgamers, Colantonio (who headed up Prey while Arkane’s co-creative director Harvey Smith was busy Dishonored 2ing) offered that:

“It’s just a resource assignment thing. We couldn’t do a demo on both the console and on the PC, we had to choose. And besides, PC has Steam. Steam players can just return the game [prior to playing] 2 hours so it’s like a demo already.”

A BOLD CLAIM. What’s odd is that I played the section of the game that’s in the console demos on a PC at Bethesda’s UK HQ a couple of months back and it all seemed entirely ship-shape, so it’s a little harder to outright accept that the studio just “couldn’t do” a PC demo too, but I do understand completely that staff are horribly stretched during the last mile of game development, so compromises inevitably happen.

As for the refund aspect – well, a bit to unpack there. “So it’s like a demo already” isn’t quite right, in that you have to fork over a forty-odd quid “deposit” just to access to it, and though Steam’s refund system is generally quite reliable, there’s always that worry that you’ll be the poor shmmoe who it doesn’t work out for.

From Bethesda/Arkane’s point of view, they also miss out on a bit of pre-orderage because the demo is not available pre-release as it is on console. But hey, that’s their problem.

Then there’s having to keep a close eye on the clock while playing to make sure you don’t accidentally go ever two hours even if you’re having a perfectly awful time. Not exactly difficult, but it is one more block removed from the teetering “it’s like a demo already” Jenga tower.

I guess suck-it-and-see is one of the reasons the refund system exists, and certainly its main use, but it’s unusual to see a big dev actively encouraging people to use it. Let’s hope it speaks to genuine confidence in his game. After all, the PC version of Arkane’s last title, Dishonored 2, made a bit of a mess on the floor upon release, though subsequent patches more or less cleaned it up.

In context to that, Colantonio also says that “I also want to clarify that there’s no PC port. I keep on hearing ‘oh they’re going to screw up the PC port’ there is no PC port. We do the game on PC. It’s a PC game. It’s a different engine to Dishonored as well. So we might have our own sets of problems, but we are of course very careful because of what happened with Dishonored 2. So we wanted to make sure the PC version of Prey is good.”

As is the new Bethesda norm, review code is only available a day before release, so having just got hold of ours we can’t speak to how it runs just yet. I did play two different sections of Prey on PC at Bethesda’s offices, and saw absolutely nothing in the way of performance problems there, but those were carefully controlled conditions. In any case, we’ll let you know if all seems well or not as soon as we can. And if you can’t wait but get burned – well, like the man says, “Steam players can just return the game”, right?

1. entireties says:

This works until Steam decided that you’ve refunded too many games in the past however long and decides that you’re Fraudulently Refunding or some shit. I got an warning email not too long ago.

Dug up the email:

“You’ve requested a significant number of refunds recently. Please keep in mind that refunds are not a method for trying out games. If we think the refund system is being misused we’ll decline to grant future refunds.”

So actually this totally disproves what the Bethesda Man said and Steam emphatically does not want you to use the refund service as a way to try out a video game.

• braven5 says:

Exactly this, steam refund is not a demo, if people start using it that way the service will likely end up be blocked entirely, possible even for everyone not just those who refund as it will be view as tool for abuse.

To add to that, part reason people turn to illegal downloads is because they are so unsure if they will like a game or not, and don’t want risk money on something that might be broke or they simply not like.

• dangermouse76 says:

Out of interest how many games have you had refunded to get that warning ?

• entireties says:

Since the new year I’ve refunded four games, according to the automated emails they send out. One on the 31st of January, one on the 8th of April, one on the 14th of April, and one on the 22nd of April. I suppose doing three in April might have tripped their sensors or whatever, but they were all less than $5 games :/

• Bull0 says:

I’m yet to see a case of anyone losing the ability to refund games on Steam, and I think they’d likely be making a LOT of noise about it if they did.

• UncleLou says:

They must have changed their policy then. When Steam refunds were introduced, Valve *explicitly* encouraged people to try games they were unsure about. I’ll have a look if I can still find it.

edit:
      Quote from the refund policy site (current):

“You can request a refund for nearly any purchase on Steam—for any reason. Maybe your PC doesn’t meet the hardware requirements; maybe you bought a game by mistake; maybe you played the title for an hour and just didn’t like it.”

In the press release at the time, it was even clearer.

link to store.steampowered.com

• UncleLou says:

And from the Steam news at the time:

“we hope this will give you more confidence in trying out titles that you’re less certain about.”

• Chitzkoi says:

/thread.

To shamelessly stuff my own personal experience in here, I just bought Dishonored 2 having adored the first one. I’m bitterly disappointed with it in truth… but (2h limit aside) I’m not about to use the Steam refunds facility to try and get my money back.

• UncleLou says:

Biggest problem: I always choose the Steam Wallet for the refund. No money is spent quicker on games than money you have already spent once and which now sits there, in the top right corner of Steam, reminding you you have “credits” you can use. :)

• Chitzkoi says:

“Why not (2h limit aside)? I’ve used it at least 20 times since it was introduced, it’s a pretty painless procedure.”

I would feel bad doing it, however stupid that may sound. I also wouldn’t trust myself to form a valid opinion on a game like Dishonored 2 in less than 2 hours, especially given that “stealth ’em ups with a side of conspiracy” often take a mission or two to properly suck me in.

• UncleLou says:

Fair enough on the second point, but I wouldn’t (or don’t) feel bad about it, but then I at least make sure to spend refunded money on another game. I bought Sexy Brutale recently which, much to my own surprise, I couldn’t stand, and bought Edith Finch (which I adored, YOU ALL NEED TO PLAY IT) from the refunded money. Would have bought that at one point, anyway, most likely, but not now.

• Chitzkoi says:

Pavlovian conditioning from my days as a kid… Currys staff would tell me to get stuffed when trying to return terrible Megadrive games!

And yes, I’m aware that there are obvious and material differences between these scenarios.

• Otterley says:

That’s a bit of a cliffhanger – it would be interesting to know why you didn’t opt for a refund.

• Chitzkoi says:

It took me a while to get into Dishonored 1, more than two hours anyway. I sort of lump all remotely similar games together (e.g. Deus Exs, Dishonoreds etc.), and they always take longer than 2h to completely grab me. Particularly if there’s a very long intro, like both new Deus Exs and Dishonored 1 to an extent.

I’m just really unexcited about loading Dishonored 2 up again, and I can’t see that changing… so it’ll stay stuck at ~5h until a very rainy day.

That all said, I wouldn’t have asked for a refund anyway… I got it on sale and I’d feel bad asking for my money back. No rational reason for that really.

• castle says:

That’s really interesting. This isn’t the first time I’ve seen a developer suggest using the Steam refund system in lieu of a demo.

Alec (or anyone at RPS), it would be great if you could reach out to Valve for comment. I wonder how they feel about this disparity, with developers telling people to use the Steam refund policy to demo their game despite the fact that Valve explicitly warns users that they will face consquences if they do this.

• UncleLou says:

With no offence to user entireties, I’ve yet to see any evidence that, if you use the refund system normally (ie, don’t finish short games and reund them, don’t refund and then buy the same game on STOLENKEYSCHEAP.COM), Steam will interfere. And the policy I quoted above is clear, imo.

That said, I can imagine that Valve isn’t keen on publishers positively suggesting to use the refund system as a demo, and I definitely agree that it would be great iof RPS would ask Valve.

2. RedViv says:

Steam refunds are for games that do not work, not just testing them out, and you get flagged when you use refunds too often simply to get demos – so they are absolutely off on that note.

(€: Dang, yeah, what entireties said.)

Now, if the previous game of the devs and publisher had some sort of copy protection layer on top of Steam, which is easier to crack if you already had access to the game playing… That’d be something.

• Archonsod says:

Every refund I’ve ever fired in to Steam was because “The game isn’t fun”. I’ve yet to have them complain.

• Chitzkoi says:

Roughly how many have you refunded so far out of interest?

• Kitsunin says:

I’ve refunded about a dozen myself. No intimidating messages so far, or anything.

If the system isn’t intended for this use (a use Valve themselves implied in the press release), that’s really disappointing, as it has allowed me to make purchases with so much less fear, and I can spend my time demoing cool looking games rather than cautiously appraising them and trying to get a nebulous (and always wrong) feel for whether the game will fit my tastes. I’ve actually both bought considerably more games and been more satisfied by my purchases since the refund system went out.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

I’ve literally bought 3 or 4 games using the same steam wallet credits before settling on a purchase and they’ve never said anything.

3. Plank says:

$60 for a demo? If only there was another way to demo Prey on pc…

• ButteringSundays says:

Well after the refund it would be $0 for the demo, that’s kind of the point.

• Plank says:

But first I have to pay $60 to demo Prey right?

• PanFaceSpoonFeet says:

No… It’s $60 to buy it. You can then refund if you wish. There is no demo, because ahhh…zzzzzzzz…

• Plank says:

To demo Prey on Steam, I have to spend $60. True or false?

• Dinges says:

No, you can buy Prey for 60 bux. There’s no demo.

• Plank says:

Ok, I’ve got it now. For us pc gamers to demo Prey, we have to pretend to buy the game on Steam by spending $60. After we’ve bought the game, we demo it for two hours. Then we ask for a refund. So the demo will cost me $60 but I may be able to get my $60 back if my refund request is successful. The gambler in me likes it. I think I’ll call it Steam Demo Gambling.

• Bull0 says:

People keep saying this – that there’s some risk – but seriously, show me one example where someone’s had their refund request declined inside the 2hr window

• Otterley says:

@Plank: Considering that Steam doesn’t tend to refuse refunds (if you stick to their rules) your inner gambler needn’t get involved. Paying for a demo would suggest a non-returnable outlay, so ‘deposit’ might be a better term :)

• Plank says:

Ok, I’ve definitely got it now. The only way to play the pc demo of Prey is to put down a deposit of $60 to rent the game for two hours.

• Otterley says:

Just so. A bit expensive, tbh.

• DudeshootMankill says:

Rent Prey for free, for two hours. There’s a 60$ deposit tho.

• Sojiro84 says:

There will be. Just wait for the Denuvo crack.

4. Nova says:

I thought it was “press sneak fucks“.

• rustybroomhandle says:

Indeed, and there’s even a tag for that:

link to rockpapershotgun.com

• Vegas says:

Yeah, in light of those earlier comments I first read this “use steam refunds as a demo” thing as a bit of sass. Though I have a feeling they were simply less worried about PC sales than console sales and that confidence went into the math they did.

“but we are of course very careful because of what happened with Dishonored 2” <- Maybe I'm reading into this too much, but perhaps Dishonored 2 was a game that was refunded a lot on steam…

It's a damn shame that Dishonored 2 seems to have not done well in sales. It's an awesome game that improves on the original in every way. I hope it develops a cult following of some sort. Until then I'll feel cool for being into it from the beginning :D

• fish99 says:

I didn’t find Dishonored 2 superior to the first game. I mean I enjoyed it, a lot at times, but it had too many small areas, it didn’t have the atmosphere the first game had, it had less lore than the first game (and a lot of the books were reused from the first game), and the world wasn’t as interesting. Karnaca didn’t have the sense of place that Dunwall had.

If I had to name the most memorable levels from the Dishonored series, they’d be from the first game and its expansions.

• Vegas says:

Man, I don’t know how you can say Karnaca didn’t have a sense of place. That’s just unbelievable to me.

• Nolenthar says:

Got to agree there, I couldn’t reasonably exactly pin points why Dishonored 2 didn’t get me where Dishonored did, but there was a definite disappointment with it.
          It’s a great game really, but it doesn’t build up on the 1st nearly enough. It recycles an enemy from the DLC, and in my opinion, the whole story falls short, which is certainly why I don’t like it so much.

It did look like a “modern” Dishonored, a reskinned one so to speak, with little more than the original. I played Dishonored + DLC right before playing Dishonored 2 (I’m a bit of a fetishist with that, I always tend to replay all the games before attacking the next one) and there really is mostly a graphical upgrade, crafting, and voila.

5. Da5e says:

And I thought a fiver for Amiga Power’s coverdisks was steep, egad.

6. Rich says:

This isn’t going to end well.

• Jay Load says:

We can but Prey. :)

• Turkey says:

Every time Arkane makes a PR misstep, it feels like they just forgot to not be French for a minute.

• Vegas says:

Prey was developed by the Austin team. And Harvey Smith, who lead the Dishonored 2 team in France, is also Texan.

7. GallonOfAlan says:

This is bullshit. At best a lame excuse for whatever reason they have for not doing a PC demo, at best a cynical cash grab because they’re betting on people not wanting the ballache of getting a refund and sticking it out with the game instead, even if they think it’s crap. Also mass refunds will hardly be endearing them to Valve’s accounts department.

8. Lintire says:

This is one of those situations where the attempt at a compromise, for a defense of a missing feature, is just begging for more criticism.

Sometimes a flat “we didn’t have time to rig a demo for PC” and then denying the implicit statement that it wasn’t a priority, is all you should do.

• jezcentral says:

Isn’t that what he said, though?

• TheMightyEthan says:

That’s part of what he said. He then went on to say “use Steam refunds as a demo”, which is OP’s point: he would have been better off if he’d stopped before that.

9. RIDEBIRD says:

The messaging around this is absolute bullshit. There is a real reason the demo was not released – since there IS a demo on PC (see mentioned preview above, it’s that hour that is released on consoles) – and it would be better if they were honest about it.

If it’s a DRM scare or something, just fucking tell us. If it actually can’t run on AMD cards on release, don’t try tricking people again, it’s not fucking OK!

Dishonored 2 ran like absolute shit. It actually DID NOT function on AMD cards on release (I have nVidia but not OK). Frame timing was never adressed. They had a chance here to release the demo that already exists (there is no paid console exclusivity either, they have NO disclosed real reason for not releasing it) and convincing us that they are not just talking shit this time.

But instead, they insist on their awful messaging that leads me to believe this game will not work on release. I guess I’ll just have to wait and see.

• Rich says:

“they have NO disclosed real reason for not releasing it”
      That’s probably the important bit.

• RIDEBIRD says:

Absolutely. They should have just been honest, however bad it is.

I am a huge supporter of just delaying releases of PC games if the consoles are a priority. I’d rather play a polished, optimized game with new features six months after consoles then a broken one on the same day.

• typographie says:

I don’t wish to defend Arkane on this, but the engine used is actually quite relevant to the concerns you have. The Void Engine is a modified version of idTech 5, which powered such games as Rage, Wolfenstein TNO, and The Evil Within, all of which had notorious issues with AMD hardware at launch. While Prey may have other problems, I don’t think it’s likely that it will suffer from the very same idTech 5-y issues as Dishonored 2.

• Chitzkoi says:

“As long as you aren’t trying to buy the game immediately on release day (and given Bethesda’s review code policies, that would just be silly), you’re taking no risks. If there are big issues with Prey, the entire internet is going to know about it within a few hours and therefore so will you.”

Yup.

• RIDEBIRD says:

Yes, I am aware that this time we will not suffer from the id Tech 5 atrocity. It still is worrying that they are not confident in the state of their PC version, as I am very much looking forward to Prey, and would like them to not botch it this time.

I loved Dishonored 2, while at the same time having a hard time with the framerate and frame timings. It just never felt right, like a cog in what should be a smooth running machine constantly got stuck for a split second, taking me out of the game. A game that relies heavily on immersion.

I have not pre-ordered, but I just hope I can truly enjoy the game at some time this time around.

• Vandelay says:

I reckon they are being honest. This is a resource issue. I’m not sure whether demos are handled by developers or publishers, but I’m sure the former wouldn’t have time and the later couldn’t be bothered to spend the money and resources on it.

The other bit about Steam refunds is just someone struggling to say something more when people are waiting on more details. Remember, this is the developer talking here, not someone from the publisher reading a prepared statement that has been focused tested and run through their prediction models of consumer reactions.

The worst part of this is that it will just make publisher less likely to put those making the actual game in the spotlight and just stick some exec who has probably never touched a controller in front of everyone to tell us how “visceral” it all is.

10. pH101 says:

SO looks like his comment is against the purpose and spirit of steam refunds for sure. I can’t blame a guy for making a probably off hand comment without thinking it through that much. But if the PC version was ship shape months ago (big if) – what is the true reason for no PC demo if not a resource decision..? I can only think it would give an edge in piracy when the full game comes out? What do people think the real reason is..? I guess it must be lack in confidence in the diverse tech of the PC market. In my view, Dishonoured 2 is still not running as well as it should.

Separate point – Deux Ex Mankind Divided: almost seemed designed to beat the steam refund system. Spend (at the very least) 2 hours on the very small first half of Prague and you might think the game isn’t a stuttering mess on lower end machines as soon as you cross the river.

11. Zeewolf says:

One point: If a game crashes, sometimes the process that Steam started will still be running, and it will count as gameplay time unless you notice it (that Steam says you’re ingame when you’re not) and manually close down the process (alt ctr del).

That can seriously mess up the whole 2 hours thing.

12. Talahar says:

Between the copyright claim regarding Praey for the Gods, this shady “refunds is demo” story, and Bethesda’s change to their review policy, I have to say the company’s name leaves a bitter taste in my mouth these days.

MajorLag says:

These days? I can’t remember the last time I felt good about them.

MajorLag says:

“It’s not a port, it’s a PC game! But when crunch time came we decided to work on the console ports instead.”

14. Greg says:

Wow, BIG RED flag… So many players got burned by this with No Man’s Sky. It took at least 2 hours of NMS play to wrap your head around what that game was and wasn’t. Now if they offered a refund to players that played 10 or less hours, that would be something worth noting (most of these games have on average 40 hours of gameplay).

15. PiiSmith says:

What is the answer of a Steam representative to this? Do they also agree, that refunds through Steam are the alternative to a demo?

• c-Row says:

From the Google cache (since people are probably hammering the Steam community pages right now)…

It doesn’t matter.

The one disadvantage I can see is that people with slow internet have to download the whole game instead of a demo that would probably be significantly smaller in size.

Minsc_N_Boo says:

Bugger that – I’ll use a torrent as a demo instead.

17. nottorp says:

Just get the game of the year edition when it’s 90% off. Plenty of games to play in the mean time.

18. Chromatose says:

The more Colantonio speaks to the press sneak fucks, the more I become convinced that Arkane don’t really have much faith in Prey panning out well.
    I remember his pitch in an older video about the game was essentially him looking thoroughly disinterested and stating “you’re on a space station and there’s aliens and you have to survive”.

According to a bunch of people I know who have played the console demo, the combat is pretty ropey as well. I’d say ‘called it’ prematurely, but honestly it kinda really sucks that a company with such a strong pedigree like Arkane, making what they refer to as a spiritual successor to System Shock using Prey’s IP, have boiled it down to “you’re on a space station and there’s aliens and you have to survive”. And now this?

19. malkav11 says:

Another problem with the idea: Steam only refunds games you bought directly from them, whereas there are plenty of reasons (not least, discounts) to buy from other stores, even if it’s a Steamworks title and you end up having to redeem it on Steam. Sure, I guess theoretically you could buy it for full price on Steam, then play an hour or two and refund it regardless so that you could buy it on another store, but c’mon. That’s clearly not what anyone here would want you doing -and- a huge hassle.

• Frank says:

Yeah, pretty good way to cut out discounters like greenmangaming. Regarding the return and rebuy, the FAQ says “We do not consider it abuse to request a refund on a title that was purchased just before a sale and then immediately rebuying that title for the sale price.” but it seems quite possibly that they would consider it abuse to rebuy elsewhere. link to store.steampowered.com

• Someoldguy says:

It’s certainly an abuse of your time to have to install it, “demo” for 100 minutes, refund, buy elsewhere and reinstall.

I’ve never used Steam as a demo service and probably never will because that 2 hour period doesn’t give you leeway to decide about a game you’re unsure about. Even less so when wife and kids enter the picture. Do you quit out every time you have to look up from the screen? How can that work with games that only allow saving at set points? There have been times when it’s taken me a few days and 5 hours of interrupted PC time to finish 45 minutes of game play, although that isn’t typical.

For me the two hour window is just an opportunity to find out if the game has serious performance issues on install and to track down any fixes on the internet, apply them and see if it works for you. It’s not enough time to decide if the game is good enough to warrant your cash.

• Kitsunin says:

It’s at least worth noting that if you buy a steam key elsewhere, you don’t have to reinstall. Steam doesn’t force you delete games you’ve refunded, you just can’t run a game you don’t own.

• jon_hill987 says:

Can you even activate a game on Steam if you have previously refunded it?

• April March says:

^That. Because I almost never buy games off Steam. What happens if I buy it, play it, decide “oh, I think I’d pay like ten bucks for it”, then buy it for ten bucks, months later, on Bundle Stars? Has anyone ever done it?

• malkav11 says:

Yes, earlier this week. It works fine.

Specifically, I bought The Curious Expedition on Steam for ~$11 a bit over a week ago, without launching it, and then the current Humble Positive Bundle pops up with The Curious Expedition at the $10 tier plus some other stuff. So I figured I’d see if Steam would refund me, and if they did, snag the bundle instead. They did, I did, and it activated just fine from the bundle.

20. Chitzkoi says:

Definitely waiting to read multiple reviews and hope none of them spoil the game before shelling out on this one.

21. thenevernow says:

What would be great is the ability for publishers to enable a free, time-limited trial of their games on Steam. Optional, so no worries about short games, slow burning games and so on. Considering free weekends, family sharing and playtime accounting already exist, I don’t think it would be a big deal technology-wise.

But a publisher (or developer) suggesting to use refunds as demos is definitely wrong, for reasons already stated by others.

• Chitzkoi says:

Only problem is that you’re then downloading a 50gb demo.

• thenevernow says:

Well, yeah, in the worst cases. Many demos are not significantly smaller than the full game and I’d find it a very acceptable compromise, anyway.

• Kitsunin says:

It’s a real shame people in some parts of the world have limited data. Considering how cheap bandwidth is in terms of real cost, it’s ludicrously ducked up actually. But still, I know for some people, it isn’t a reasonable compromise.

Don Reba says:

A little backwater called North America is a good example.

• TechnicalBen says:

F2P and other games already… nope, this is ALREADY a fully featured part of Steam and they offer “free weekend” options etc for games.

• April March says:

Oh man, I remember Onlive did that and it was pretty cool. At least it was one of the coolest things around Onlive, of which there weren’t many!

22. MrLoque says:

We all know that “no demo” usually results in a Torrent search. No need to hide behind a finger.

23. Abtacha says:

That moves the game from wait for reviews and then decide to wait until the price drops to 15€ and then maybe start thinking about getting it. If you decide to treat PC gamers like second class citizens I’m going to treat your game like a second rate product too.

24. abrokenchinadoll says:

You guys spend 60…I spent 36 and I got a free DLC with it. haha. :P

25. fish99 says:

Of course if you buy through a 3rd party, including authorized key sellers, you most likely won’t have any refund option, so that excuse is a load of baloney.

26. jon_hill987 says:

Everyone who can should buy and then refund this in the hope that someone at Valve has some words with Bethesda about this.

Also: It is not a demo if you have to drop a $60 “deposit” on it (that you only get back as store credit right?).

• Bull0 says:

Steam wallet is the default refund but no, you can have it refunded to the card you used for the purchase or (I think) your paypal if you used paypal.

• April March says:

I’ve got half a mind to really do that. Does /r/refundprey exist already?

Edit: Though, I’m not really that interested in Prey, so if the price for this is never getting to play it I’m fine with that. I don’t think many people who care about it feel the way I do. In fact, I suspect were /r/refundprey real most people there would talk tough and then proceed to make the most expensive preorder available.

27. Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

Alright then, I will wait for a 75% sale….

28. Nolenthar says:

I really think mr Colantino should have just stayed quiet. This couldn’t be worse than this silly statement.

1. Buying a game to demo it is not exactly painless, given the 40-50£ pounds deposit.
    2. Claiming that your game is a PC Game when you deliver a demo for the consoles and not for the PC sounds, ominous, to say the least, or downright disrespectful.
    3. This means your demo can’t be more than 2 hours, and to be fair less than that as any player who didn’t want to buy the game will play safe and stops around 1h30 mn.

In the end, as a potential buyer, what it means for me is: “alright, I’ll buy that one during the steam sales, when it’s cheap and all”. If you did a demo, I might just have pre-ordered the game if it was good like I did recently with a title offering a demo, despite having no intention to buy it before trying the demo.

True enough, Demo is not that common nowadays (a pity), but if you do one for a platform, simply treat all platforms equally, or don’t bullshit us telling you’re a PC developer. That won’t work!

29. CloneWarrior85 says:

I would love to hear Valve side of the story, because they aren’t here for the refunds, they are here to keep our money, we like the game or not.

This could cause some friction between both beths and valve.

30. racccoon says:

That’s a pretty out there statement, that playing a game on steam for under 2 hrs makes it a demo!
    That’s kind of a cop out, as, steam will not always give refunds to all games played in under 2hrs, especially if you are a repeat, repeat, repeat, refunder!!
    They(steam) are already fed up with it, but they have to live with it!
    Devs just Make a demo & roll back ten years when demos meant something you were proud of as game developer!?!, This way people get to play it for a short while and then have no excuses not to play further than 2hrs once they actually buy it! they’ve already played the demo right? and with that & buying it, they have excepted the game as cool. Rather than & thumbs down & prey they get refund!.
    No excuses,
    SO MAKE A DEMO!
    IT MAKES SENSE TO DO IT!!
    Unless all you devs want to see, is players buying your game and asking for refunds in less 2hrs!
    In that case you’ll just get to see figures running up high and rejoicing and then falling down drastically because of the 2hrs refund and no demo before hand. NOT A GOOD THING!
    SO… DEMO’S PLEASE, DEVS! WAKE UP!!