The Foxer

Is the following ‘end of the road’ geofoxer a coded message from a ready-for-retirement foxer setter or is it just Roman’s response to the Boyz II Men t-shirt Maginot Maxine has been wearing for the last couple of days? There’s no way of telling without asking the man himself – something I can’t be arsed to do.

Pictured below are twelve locations where Googlemobiles performed U- or three-point turns. Identify the locations precisely (a “somewhere around X” won’t do today) to win Flare Path flair points made from rue and recycled election promises.

*       *       *

SOLUTIONS

Last Week’s Warm-Up Foxer (unsolved)

I was Toughie, the last (?) Rabbs’ fringe-limbed treefrog

Last Week’s Feature Foxer

Theme: Percy Harrison Fawcett (defoxed by Gothnak)

a Fragment of Space Shuttle Challenger‘s fuselage (unsolved)
b The Eldorado, NYC (Stugle)
c VMF-512 insignia (Stugle)
d Millicent Fawcett (Syt)
e Tim ‘Percy‘ McInnerny (Shiloh)
f Harrison Ford (Stugle, mrpier, Syt)
g The Glove (chuckieegg, Gothnak)
h Raleigh cigarette packet art (unsolved)
i Fetish from Tintin and the Broken Ear (AbyssUK)
j Arena Pantanal, in Cuiabá, Brazil (mrpier)
k Art from 1996 RTS Z (Stugle)
l US Navy jack (unsolved)
m Art from 1984 adventure game Amazon (phlebas)

1. Stugle says:

Ha! I researched B by accident last week, when I was confused by the football stadium. It’s RAF Cardington and the Streetview is here:

link to google.com

phuzz says:

Dang it, late by a minute!

• Stugle says:

A – Seems to be Hebrew on the placard the man is holding
      L – One or another Arabic flag – not too many countries in the Middle East have Streetview.

2. Gothnak says:

I think G is Monza F1 track, i’ll try and track down where exactly.

3. Gothnak says:

K is Fukushima:

link to google.co.uk

Matchstick says:

F is the Westereems windfarm, Eemshaven in Groningen, in the north of the Netherlands.

link to google.co.uk

5. Stugle says:

L is at the end of Quai Amiral Infernet in Nice: NGV is the ferry between Nice and Corsica.

link to google.com

phuzz says:

I, I think that’s a Jordanian flag, and only Israel seems to have streetview images, so I assume it’s a border crossing but I can’t find that point yet.

7. Lazzars says:

E is near the Rama VIII bridge in Bangkok.

link to google streetview

8. unacom says:

J is Spur Battery at Gibraltar

9. Stugle says:

I is the northern border crossing between the UAE (owner of that lovely flag) and Oman, on the E11:

link to google.com

phuzz says:

D is near the summit of Mount Etna

• mrpier says:

I was so close on this as well, but my search terms subtly managed to avoid pics of the place, even though I had volcano, observatory and etna in them. :)

11. Gothnak says:

I’m assuming C is somewhere near Area 51, but seems to be no dead ends in that area…

• Little_Crow says:

I made the same assumption – but wasn’t prepared for what happens when you drag the street view guy around the area

• Stugle says:

This is new to me (and might not be to anyone else), but if you hover the Streetview dude over the general area of Area 51, he turns into a little man in a flying saucer.

phuzz says:

It’s just near the town of Mercury, an entrance to the Nevada National Security Site, just off the 95.
      I like the way the streetview man turns into a UFO in this area of the map.

• Stugle says:

I absolutely take your word for it, but you’re linking to Mount Etna. Or is this one of them Area 51 mysteries, spontaneous teleportation? :)

• Gothnak says:

Gah, so close…. I like the fact it is in Pahrump!

Btw, your link was to etna, here it is:

link to google.co.uk

• Stugle says:

Good lord, if you look about 20 miles due north (just north of the second salt flat, the sandy white patch), it looks like that must have been the underground nuclear testing site. The whole patch of land looks like Swiss cheese, riddled with craters.

12. Stugle says:

Continuing our theme of derelict nuclear reactors, H is the entrance to Chernobyl: link to google.com

13. Stugle says:

G – ‘Informazioni’ is Italian. Italy is covered in Streetview and so are most surrounding countries. Good luck hunting.

phuzz says:

Gothnak got it already, it’s Monza

• Gothnak says:

I recognised the track on the sign, and that was a bridge similar to most motor sport circuits :).

• Stugle says:

Never mind, I’ve been confusing a couple of pictures.

EDIT: I really have no good excuse. :)

• Gothnak says:

Stupid wrong place to comment…

phuzz says:

A is the fragrantly named Dung gate, near the Dome of the Rock in Jerusalem.

* edit, it’s a tie!

15. mrpier says:

A is a checkpoint right outside of temple mount in jerusalem.

link to google.no

EDIT: Well, damn beaten by seconds :D

16. Gothnak says:

B is in the UK, helped by the NHBC sign, but i’ve tried all blocked roads near Nuclear Power Stations (following the vague theme) no luck.

• Little_Crow says:

Stugle’s got you well beaten I’m afraid, 1st comment…

• Gothnak says:

Lol… Ahem…

• Stugle says:

It appears we have both missed one of the other’s solutions, which makes me feel a little better about my Monza debacle. :)

17. mrpier says:

I think that’s everything, good sleuthing everyone!

Matchstick says:

I thought where was something about the tower towards the left of H that reminds me of S.T.A.L.K.E.R !

It’s the road by the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant
    link to google.co.uk

Damn, way too slow ;)

19. AbyssUK says:

Summing up everybody elses answers;

A – Temple Mount / Dung gate
    B – RAF Cardington
    C – Mercury / Area 51
    D – Mount Etna
    E – Rama VIII bridge in Bangkok.
    F – Westereems windfarm, Eemshaven in Groningen
    G – Monza
    H – Chernobyl
    I – border of UAE and Oman, on the E11
    J – Spur Battery at Gibraltar
    K – Fukushima
    L – Quai Amiral Infernet in Nice

Is there a coded message or not ??

• Shiloh says:

Is there a coded message or not??

Roman mourning the “end of the road” for RPS as an independent entity?

Matchstick says:

As long as it’s not end of the road for Flare Path & the Foxer ! (which sounds a little like the name of early/mid 80s American TV show that gets repeats on Channel 5 around 4am)

• Stugle says:

I don’t even want to consider the possibility of a hidden message, as it would make me most upset. Therefore, I choose to believe that the array of nuclear meltdown sites, geopolitical flashpoints, and secretive military installations were selected to convey a general sense of optimism and good times ahead.

20. The Bitcher III says:

There is a theme, and it’s telegraphed in the intro. In a way, it is about endings.

Old Top Gear have definitely filmed at Monza, Chernobyl, Gibraltar, and attempted to get into Area 51.

Hammond raced a Lambo vs a Mercedes in Central Abu Dhabi, the E11 runs from there to the pictured border.

cite=”In Series 14 Episode 3 of the motoring show Top Gear presenter James May used Cardington as the base for his ‘Caravan Airship'”>

There’s a car vs boat race from Portafino to St Tropez. As St Tropez is an island, I presume the one in the car had to catch a ferry from the Nice Quay.

In the Middle East special, they stop on the Mount Of Olives, from which you can see the whole of the Old City.

The Gronigen road must be from the Heathrow to Oslo race, Clarkson drove a Mercedes pretty much through all of the Netherlands.

The one I’m struggling with is Fukushima. There was a race between a GTR and Bullet Train, from Ishikawa to Chiba, but Fukushima is pretty far out of the way of the obvious routes, well to the north.

Can’t find a video of the episode, but the description for s4e8 “James drives the Maserati Quattroporte in Sicily”. And why wouldn’t you drive past Mount Etna?

There’s the Thailand/Burma special as well.

Sorry it’s messy and not properly sourced.

link to en.wikipedia.org
    link to topgear.wikia.com

My take-away from this is that Roman watches a lot of Dave.

More controversially, and teasingly, it seems he does not recognise New New Top Gear’s right to exist.