Get Stellaris for just $12 through Humble Monthly

Stellaris header

Grand strategy game Stellaris [official site] throws up some pretty wild space stories – just read Brendan’s account of being a galactic robot dad or his tale of a peaceful race of multicultural turtles and you’ll see what I mean. It was one of the best games of last year and the recent expansion, Utopia, has taken it up another level.

The base game will set you back £40 on Steam but this month you can pick it up for just $12 through Humble Monthly, the Humble’s subscription service for a package of mystery games that releases (you guessed it!) once a month. That’s a sweet deal – and don’t worry, you can cancel after the first bundle.

To get the game, you just have to subscribe for either one, three, six, or 12 months. You’ll unlock Stellaris straightaway then the mysterious other games later.

It can feel like a gamble signing up to something without knowing what you’re actually going to get, but there’s bound to be extra value in the rest of the package: the previous bundle contained Inside, Undertale and Dirt Rally, among others. Even if the rest are dross, $12 for a game this good is very tempting.

There’s also still 10 days left to bag the Humble Very Positive Bundle, which includes Stephen’s Sausage Roll, one of Pip’s favourites. Check it out.

From this site

1. wldmr says:

That seems like a weirdly Humble centric article. Do you intend to mention other games when they are discounted outside of the weekly bargain posts?

2. Neurotic says:

I got Total Warhammer a few months ago from HB for cheap, then forgot to unsubscribe and got The Witness too. All the extra games were rubbish, but as you say, 12 Dollarpounds for that was a pretty amazing deal.

3. Scrofa says:

Ah, Paradox’s base game. Either you let it sit in your library like an unfinished rock (?) or you pay up for a dozen expensive DLCs that would make the experience complete. Until the next DLC that is. All things considered still a good deal though, I just couldn’t resist commenting on their savage DLC policies.

• Darloth says:

The base game isn’t in a terrible spot right now.

It’s acceptably fun/interesting for a single playthrough, I think. The midgame is still a little weak and the DLC does fill that in a bit.

• Sakkura says:

I would agree if it was one of their older games, but there isn’t much DLC for Stellaris yet, and none of it very important. You can absolutely play the base game right now without having an amputated experience.

Silva says:

How is it savage? Their two flagship games with a ton of DLC (Crusader Kings and EU4) are perfectly playable without buying any DLC.

Their DLC lay out exactly how they expand gameplay and all of them build upon already existing systems in new and interesting ways.

What DLC do you feel like should be a part of the main game? If they were labeled as expansions would you be as affronted? Because that’s basically what many of the DLC are: expansions.

Otherwise they’re visual upgrades that are basically the grand strategy equivalent of Team Fortress hats. They add something extra but it isn’t as though there are missing art assets if you don’t purchase those DLC.

• Zenicetus says:

The Leviathan story pack DLC isn’t essential. The Plantoids DLC even less so. However, the Utopia DLC is the first big expansion that changes the game going forward. The main mechanics are in a free patch for the base game, but I think everyone will want all the extra stuff in Utopia. That’s going to be considered the current version of the game.

We can gripe about how Paradox does this, but I think they’re still trying to figure out what kind of game they’re trying to make with Stellaris. It beats releasing a game that doesn’t quite hit the mark on release, and then is abandoned.

• Kaeoschassis says:

I don’t know whether I agree with you or not – swaying towards ‘not’ – but you kind of undermined your own point in your comment. “The game isn’t worth playing until you get the DLC. Then it’s worth playing. Until another DLC comes out. Then it isn’t again, until you get that one too.” I don’t get it, either it’s a good game or it isn’t. If it’s a bad game and the DLC makes it BETTER, sure, I can understand that, but that’s not what you’re saying.

If you don’t like their practices you can avoid their games, and I sure won’t argue with that, but jeez… It seems really weird to me to judge whether or not a game is good and fun and worth playing based on whether or not you own 100% of its available DLC at any given moment.

• Judotoss says:

“If you don’t like their practices you can avoid their games”. This and the guys clearly doesn’t mind sinking his fangs into the DLC’s. he’s just upset that he has to pay for a good game to keep being maintained. like when u buy a bicycle, they always come by and tune it up for you, add mirrors and reflectors and shit, and it’s all included…

4. Vinraith says:

This is a “first taste is free/cheap” situation. If you’re unfamiliar with Paradox’s current business model (starting from CK2) do yourself a favor and look at the DLC lists for Crusader Kings 2 and Europa Universalis 4 to get an idea of what you’re really signing up for.

• Sakkura says:

Well you can play and enjoy this “first taste” for a few hundred hours, so I kinda think you’d get your 12 dollars’ worth before really “needing” to invest in DLC.

• Vinraith says:

It’s important that people not buy that particular bit of propaganda, I think. It’s a good line, but in practical terms it’s not exactly true.

Subsequent patches are balanced around features found only in the new DLC. Fail to keep up, and you may as well fail to update the game too. Want the latest version (you know, the one with the bug fixes) and want it to work properly? Better buy the DLC.

• Sakai says:

Yes, how dare Paradox expect to be payed for their work. They should release everything for free.

• Vinraith says:

It’s fine that they get paid for their work, it’s fine that they’re running what is for all practical purposes a subscription service, but let’s not pretend it’s anything else.

It’s fairly obvious that from a design perspective the cart is leading the horse. They have to put out a new DLC on a set schedule, no matter what it does to balance, no matter if the game benefits from new features, no matter if the old features still aren’t working right yet. It’s a bad way to run a development studio, and it’s particularly disappointing from such a historically great developer as Paradox.

Silva says:

@Vinraith

As someone who’s owned pretty much every Paradox grand strategy game (and others besides) since the day they came out before patches/DLC, I know exactly how well the games perform before and after patch/DLC releases.

In general, Paradox releases often have many bugs but its expected when their systems are incredibly complex and interact in literally dozens if not hundreds of unique ways and are just waiting for edge cases to break them.

But even with that, the games that Paradox release are pretty much feature complete on the day they go on sale. There are no features that they imply or pretend to provide that are then released in paid DLC. Everything they say you can do in previews and demos are in the game from day 1 and they are extremely up front about what you can do with the game and what you can’t do.

Similarly, they are extremely transparent about what is in their DLC and what is in the base game so no one ever gets confused about buying the base game and then discovering “I have to pay more to be able to do this? I didn’t know that!”

Along that note, updates often change the balance but I’d like to see an actual example where a DLC is REQUIRED for game balance. Some new features drastically alter the game but I have yet to see an update where I felt the need to buy a DLC to properly play the game.

• SaintAn says:

Fairly pricing their content would be for the best. Currently everything Paradox does feels like a scam.

Silva says:

@SaintAn

What do you mean fair pricing though? Their base games, even at retail price, are at or below the market price of other big name games.

The DLC are all extra and created over the course of months or years.

I don’t see why these should be priced low when they clearly cost a lot of time, money, and effort to make. I feel like critics of Paradox DLC only look at the cost to themselves and don’t consider the cost to create such content.

When a DLC isn’t worth the price, people simply don’t buy it. It’s as simple as that. None of the DLC are essential to play the base game, which is a perfectly fine game on its own.

So how does any of this resemble a scam at all?

• Vinraith says:

I want to be clear: I really don’t feel like the pricing is unfair. Their DLC are substantial expansions, a lot of work goes into them, I honestly don’t have an issue with the price. My problem is with the pace. I honestly can’t keep up with EU4 anymore, I start to learn a new system and they add 5 more. I come to grips with a mechanic and it’s modified beyond all recognition. It’s really very frustrating. Add to that the cost of keeping up with the game (which, even though I think it’s fair, is substantial) and I’ve basically given up on the whole enterprise. I guess if I had a lot more gaming time, or only wanted to play that game, I might feel different.

And, to reiterate, I do think the pressure to keep the DLC coming is negatively impacting design decisions.

• Sakkura says:

It has happened a few times that a DLC has been semi-necessary to buy if you wanted to play on the newest patch version. But it’s not nearly as common as you make it seem. And it hasn’t happened to Stellaris so far.

5. Shinard says:

Damn it, I’d just unsubscribed… ah well, back to Humble Monthly I go. Also, re: Paradox’s DLC policies, I’m completely cool with them. Seriously, playing base CK2 is still an amazing experience. Then just when you’re tired of it, oh, I can pay a few quid in a sale for a new expansion to a game I know I like? Sold!

It’s not like Civ, where the DLC is necessary to enjoy the game. Paradox releases most of the actual mechanical improvements in free patches alongside the DLC, so if you get the DLC you’re just paying for content. There are so many worse DLC policies out there, I’m baffled why Paradox gets slammed for theirs.

6. BriaerosAU says:

Also should be pointed out that you can gift any games in the bundle you dont want.

7. nitric22 says:

I’ve been on the fence about Stellaris for some time. I’ve also been giving some consideration to Humble Bundle for a while. The two combined have made it a non-negotiable must. I’ll decide the value of the monthly bit when the other games all unlock first bit of June, and until then I’ll be trying my hand and galaxy over-lord! Thanks RPS good heads up. Worst case, I just got a a deep discount on a game I’ve been curious over for some time.

• keefybabe says:

I’ve subscribed since the first one and not regretted it once. Even when it’s been a lot of stuff I’ve had, it’s generally been good stuff so I’ve been able to give it to friends knowing I’m giving them a good game to play.

8. dylan says:

How does Stellaris compare to Galciv 3?

• Zenicetus says:

Stellaris is a much better game (personal opinion, obv), and I own both. Hop over to the recently posted GalCiv3 article here for more details and opinions.

9. GunnerMcCaffrey says:

If I love the idea of CK2 but find the process of actually playing it to be about as intuitive and well-paced as doing someone else’s taxes, is there any chance I’m going to enjoy Stellaris? Because I love the idea of Stellaris, but… well. You see.

• Minglefingler says:

There’s a good chance you will. Stellaris has little in common with Crusader Kings II, it’s more like a 4x, particularly in the early stages. Obviously this is subjective but I found the ui to be a step up from CKII which is a big issue for a lot of people. The mid and late game were lacking the last time I played an unmodded game but that was ages ago and I’ve heard that they’ve been improved with patches. I’d say give it a go at that price if you have any interest in strategy games.

• Sakkura says:

There is a clearer path to what you “should” be doing in Stellaris, most of the time. It starts out pretty similar to other 4X games, grab resources, colonize planets, develop colonized planets. Gradually it turns into a more recognizably Paradox game, as empire borders meet and the exploration/colonization peters out. But it’s still more comparable to other Paradox games like EU4 than CK2.

10. keefybabe says:

Please stop mentioning Stephens Sausage Roll, it makes me want to go to Greggs. I don’t even like Greggs, but I’m on a diet soa greasy “sausage” roll sounds amazing right now.

zapatapon says:

Didn’t Stephen Lavelle make the promise at some point that Stephens Sausage Roll would never, ever be sold at a discount?

Anyway, I am glad I did not believe him one second and waited out anyway — like the spider at the center of its web. Or the antlion in its hole. After pouncing on my cheap prey, now I can finally feast on it and … happily roll sausages around, like a dung beetle? Clearly this arthropod metaphor is going absolutely nowhere

12. jeremyalexander says:

Humble Bundle Monthly is an insanely good deal. just go to the page and scroll down and look at the games you get for 12 dollars a month.

Comment on this story