Build castles and blow them up in 2D brawler Siege!

Siege! gameplay

I really like the look of Siege! [official site], an upcoming local multiplayer brawler from developers 2nd Studio.

Each game starts by both teams building a castle fitted out with cannons. Then, all hell breaks lose. Cannon balls fly, stone walls crumble, and your knight takes to the turf, slashing his sword. Once you’ve destroyed your opponent’s base and killed the King inside, you win.

You can fight against your friends or work together to defend your castle against hordes of enemies. There’s a progression system, too, that unlocks new items as you fight.

It almost looks like an arcade version of King Arthur’s Gold, where teams of up to 16 players built sprawling castles and then found increasingly creative ways to blow them up. Brendan was a big fan.

Siege! is due to launch into early access this summer. Before that, 2nd Studio have launched a closed alpha test, which you can sign up to here. If they get it right I reckon that it could be a nice little party game. What do you think?

From this site

1. otakucore says:

It’s like the old arcade game Rampart.

• Grim says:

No, it’s Ballerburg, a game from a German author written for the Atari ST in 1987. I’ve played it back then… Curious to see who still knows it…

2. April March says:

This just makes me want to play King Arthur’s Gold.

3. zeep says:

Local multiplayer, useless.
    None of my gaming friends come visit me with a joystick.
    So it’s single player.

• Blackrook says:

Same.
      My daughter use to think all my friends were really tiny people living inside my PC…

But these days with long time gaming friends all over the UK as well as in France, Belgium and the Netherlands,
      local doesn’t cut it for me either.

4. Alberto says:

There’s some really cute castle-artillery games out there. Now that Angry Birds overexposure is a distant memory I’d like to try some of them.

5. PiiSmith says:

Is this only 1 vs 1 or also more? In the videos you see multiple people moving and shooting, but I see no player count anywhere.

Comment on this story