Astroneer makes explosive hydrazine change

Astroneer

I’m trying to do that thing of staying away from an Early Access game I’m really into so I don’t burn out on it before it gets to actual release form. Subnautica is in that bucket, as is Astroneer [official site], although I’m sorely tempted by the latter now I’m writing about exploding hydrazine cans and looking at screenshots as I read the latest patch. STAY STRONG, PIP.

Patch 158 is out and changes some things with the research curve and adds a Turkish language option. They’re the sorts of fixes where they impact you if you’ve been on the receiving end of the frustration – not having a Turkish option or not being able to see particular unlocks because of the vagaries of the research process – rather than things which radically alter the scope of the game.

The bug fixes are also generally smaller things, although this one from multiplayer sounds like it was a dramatic one to encounter: “Improve rover stability in MP so they no longer unrecoverably fly apart.”

OH NO I WAS WEAK AND BOOTED IT UP :(

I will say that I am not a big fan of having the build number on every screenshot. I get that as a developer you want to signpost to players when they’re seeing a work-in-progress and when you’re seeing the final product but it’s such a pretty game already that I want to take uninterrupted pictures!

OH! And because I didn’t have enough time to faff getting dynamite in my new save here is someone else causing a big old hydrazine explosion!

Anyway. Early Access. CAUTION. Yadda yadda SPACE!

From this site

1. gunrodent says:

Stay away from Early Access. Unless, of course, it is Project Zomboid, which is a game I backed on now defunct Desura way back in november 2011. That is 5,5 years on “Early Access” (Or about half the lifetime of RPS!). After such a long time you’d have to be a very very pious person to not have played it at least once.

• Darloth says:

I backed Project Zomboid and I’ve never actually played it.

I heard good things about it a few years ago and decided to try playing it, but couldn’t find my copy.

Then I decided I’d wait a little more. How is it nowadays?

• DodgyG33za says:

I bought into Star Citizen what seems like an age ago. Spart from seeing some fairly impressive youtubes I haven’t played any of it yet as far as I remember, although I do recall drunkenly downloading a hanger demo or something.

Despite getting the weekly update emails I am not even sure what stage of development it is in, or when or if it will ever reach R1.0.

• PaulV says:

Star Citizen is humming along quite well. But the actual playable build is pretty useless at the moment. Hopefully there’s at least something worthwhile to do once 3.0 comes out in a few months, but it’s probably going to be a bug-ridden mess as it launches a huge amount of new tech. Also I’m not convinced it will be much fun if you only got a starter package, since I don’t think you’ll be able to buy ships yet even then.

2. KDR_11k says:

What does that really change though? It doesn’t seem to be prone to accidental explosion and there’s not much reason to deliberately make anything go boom…

Drib says:

Dynamite is completely worthless in this game, I really don’t see the point at all.

That said, the research really does need an overhaul, and the game just generally needs more to do. You can see all the resources and most of the research on the first planet, and all the other planets are objectively worse in every way.

• KDR_11k says:

Other planets have metal and rare ores on the surface instead of requiring you to dig deep for them, that’s kinda handy.

4. MrLoque says:

I would sell my kids to get a button called “HIDE ALL EARLY-ACCESS POSTS”. Seriously: early access should be relegated to its own website section, leaving space to FINISHED, COMPLETE products. I am sick tired of wannabe-games who drag you into a spiral of hype and dreams forever.

• Person of Interest says:

Early Access, Alpha, Beta, v1.0… none of those labels have absolute meaning, and stability/completeness is always on a sliding scale. Look at a game like Terraria, still getting content updates for many years: maybe it should have stayed in Early Access until now? Astroneer could exit Early Access tomorrow and simply call future development “post-launch support”, and get away with it because it’s already more stable and featureful than many other craft-em-ups.

Don’t get obsessed with labels.

MajorLag says:

But these days there are plenty of games that are basically as complete (from a base gameplay perspective) as they’re ever going to get languishing in Early Access because the dev is far too ambitious and has unrealistic goals. It’d be like not reviewing the original release of Terraria had that instead been an early access version.

I’m all for it, even though I kinda hate the concept of Early Access, if only because it might someday reveal a unique and interesting diamond in the rough instead of another Minecraftbut.

5. gunrodent says:

Ever played Project Zomboid by any chance?

Comment on this story