Volition’s Agents of Mayhem introduces shootstars

A new vidvad for Agents of Mayhem [official site], the upcoming singleplayer class-based shooter from Saints Row devs Volition, shows off several of its characters with pomp and explosions. The game hasn’t looked megagreat to my spectating eye but Holly Nielsen dug the preview version she played recently and Adam before her liked it too, so I’ll see how it goes. For now, the answer is: with jokes and explosions.

Agents of Mayhem sees the heroic-ish folks of the organisation Mayhem fight to save futureSeoul by exploding bad dudes. It’s a singleplayer shooter where players pick a team of three characters from the game’s dozen and can switch between the three at any moment, with only one on the battlefield at a time. So it’s handy to build a team whose abilities can set up combos for each other and whose playstyles complement nicely. And it’s loud and colourful and silly.

Holly’s preview said:

“The humour will not be to everyone’s taste, and for me it occasionally felt forced. The anarchic writing was enjoyable in a preview build but it would definitely wear thin for me in a full game. However, the combat has piqued my interest. If the verticality the triple jump offers is utilised in the open world then I’ll be willing to forgive the constant shouting wisecracks and spend time trying to master the three-agent mechanic.”

Agents of Mayhem is due out on August 15th in that there America they have nowadays, then August 18th elsewhere. Must be abide by these silly cyberborders? Peace and love and harmony, maaaan.

Grizzly says:

I am, somehow, reminded a bit by the Invisible Inc. roster.

And this looks like a hell of a lot of fun. I’m slightly wary for this game, as I did not know how much I adored Saint’s Row’s character customization until it was glaringly missing in Gat out of Hell, but this looks like the best wacky over the top approach.

2. Kollega says:

When the last trailer came out, and in some versions, felt the need to censor rude gestures and “Ahoy, mothafuckas!”, I complained about how these days, ridiculously bloody violence is okay, but leaning on the fanservice is suddenly not. Welp… it looks like the dev team has listened :P

And it’s not like it’s without precedent, either. Volition do love their sex jokes in Saints Row 3 and 4.

That aside… it’s just interesting to see the character depth on display. If even the white dude with short brown hair and an assault rifle gets a detailed backstory of bouncing all over the cinematic industry, from adult films to reality TV, before becoming a real-life action hero… well, I just wonder what sort of craziness everyone else was up to before joining MAYHEM. Can’t wait to see Red Card’s backstory of German football hooliganism, for one :P

3. Neonin says:

Video yells “AGENTS OF MAYYYYYHEM!” and all I can hear in my head is “PRINCESS OF POWWWWWER!”. Seriously, is no-one else hearing the She-Ra thing they have going on? Just me? Ok…

On the plus side I’m looking forward to this!

Grizzly says:

I have no idea what She-Ra is and now I feel like I should find out. Is this a good idea?

• YogSo says:

Basically, She-Ra is to He-Man what Supergirl is to Superman (but instead of his cousin, She-Ra is Adam’s long-lost twin sibling).

• Foosnark says:

Yeah, it’s definitely got that Saturday morning cartoon thing going for it.

4. Fnord73 says:

America, hell yea. The game will propably be shite, but they got a good trailer there.

5. skyturnedred says:

I’m starting to hate hero shooters, and I strongly think they are ruining multiplayer gaming. Now they are invading my singleplayer games, and it makes me sad.