Into Egypt: next Assassin’s Creed leaks

We were on a break! (Entirely topical references for you there). Yes, it appears that Assassin’s Creed is back after a year-odd hiatus from its traditionally annual release cycle. Various leaks have it that the game is named Assassin’s Creed: Origins, is set in ancient Egypt and looks, well, just like the image above.

Clearly, without official verification a leak needs to be shoved inside a drawer marked “rumours” and eyed with great suspicions, but our stablemates over at Eurogamer seem entirely convinced that the screenshot posted to Reddit out of the blue earlier today is on the money. Three separate sources tell ’em so, they say.

The screen’s on the blurry side – looks like a photo of a TV to me – but we can make out a boat, a shield and the text ‘Follow Shadya to Khenut’s villa.’ The latter would seem to confirm the Egyptian setting (Khenut was an Egyptian queen during its fifth dynasty), and the presence of boats hopefully, hopefully suggests a return to series highlight Assassin’s Creed 4: Black Flag.

EG’s sources have also told them that ‘Origins’ is indeed the name, it’s due later this year on console and PC, and also offered the slightly blood-curdling implication that it’s a prequel to the series so far is true (a clean break, fiction-wise, strikes me as the best possible move), but I’m definitely very taken with the setting.

Rumours of an Ancient Egyptian prequel have circulated since January 2016.

Fantastic scenery, improbably vast things to climb, a far older society than we’ve yet seen from these games and, all being well, a really big river. Can we sail the length of the Nile? This is what matters most. Also: will there be mummies? Will there be Mumm-Ra?

If all is as it appears to be (and, again, we don’t know that for definite until there’s official confirmation) I imagine we’ll see more of this at E3. Meantime, a full-size version of the image is here.

1. P34nk says:

Gonna keep waiting until they do Japanese setting proper. Don’t really understand the reasoning of them holding off on the obvious connection of ‘assassins’ and ninja/samurai warring-era Japan. Maybe they are just saving the best for last?

• lglethal says:

Last?

You do realise this is Ubisoft were talking about? We can expect Assassins Creed to still be being developed and released up until the heat death of the universe, and I still wouldnt bet money on them not continuing after that (probably after a couple of years hiatus admittedly…)

• CartonofMilk says:

same. every time they reveal the new one is still not Japan i just shake my head.

• Vandelay says:

I always said I’m not interested in Assassin’s Creed until they do Victorian London. I still don’t own Syndicate…

To be honest though, the shield on the character’s back is probably the most interesting aspect of this image. Are we going to see them finally ditching the tired combat?

• welverin says:

That’s too bad, it’s probably the best game in the series, so far as the actual gameplay is concerned (at least they fixed a lot of the niggling control issues that had been aggravating more and more with each game).

• baozi says:

Eh. There are enough games that have been made about japan. I’d rather see settings that are less overused.

• Brotoles says:

I think they’re saving Japan for when they can have a good sword fighting mechanic… now that they released For Honor, maybe that reality is closer :-)

phuzz says:

We’re going to refer to it as AssCreed:Oranges right?

3. int says:

Assassin’s Creed: Denial

4. Zallgrin says:

YES FUCKING FINALLY

Haven’t played another AC game since the letdown that was AC3 and ever since they killed Desmond in the most nonchalant and non-caring way possible. But it’s not only the story reasons that made me abandon this franchise – mostly it’s just me being really tired of the old AC formula.

I doubt the new entry will change things much – but hey, Egypt! I always wanted to see more Egypt games!

• Silvermarch says:

1. Black Flag was the best game in the series.
      2. Desmond was a terribly boring character.

• CartonofMilk says:

Black Flag and Syndicate are the series highlights to me. Well and AC II i guess but there’s no reason to play it now if someone hasn’t, might as well just play black flag and syndicate.

Syndicate’s London was one of the better realized open world city i’ve seen in a game yet. Very immersive. Too bad it was used for an AC game. Because AC games aren’t very good in using their environment other than for acrobatics. I mean i wanted to LIVE in Syndicate’s london. Not just kill people in it and climb buildings.

I have to say ever since Dying light brilliantly demonstrated that parkour DOESN’T have to be on rails in games and CAN be completely dependent on a player’s button presses and skill, i’m a lot less keen on AC games. Not that i was ever a huge fan but at least the two entries i named are entertaining enough.

• toallthings says:

Meh, like most of the entries in the series London is under utilised in Syndicate. missions etc are too strung out and you don’t really get to know the city that well and too often rely on the map. I live in London and I still felt detached from it. Unity’s Paris was very good, it didn’t take me long to get around without using the map, it just felt more immersive.

Syndicate’s major draw for me was the fact you can play as Evie for the vast majority of the game. AC: Liberation was good but Syndicate was finally when they took a female character seriously.

The parkour and fighting mechanics in general seem to have gone down hill. Unity’s parkour felt fluid but Syndicate felt really robotic – as did it’s fighting.

• Zallgrin says:

1. I don’t care about Black Flag. Might be good, might be bad, but I am already disillusioned by the formula and was not seduced to try again.

2. You are not the first person to tell me this, after I tell that I miss Desmond and think his death sucked balls. I always wondered what I should do with this imparted wisdom. “Oh snap, I totally forgot! Thanks for reminding me that Desmond is soo boring!”

I’d understand venting about his boring ass if he was still alive and you were still forced to endure his presence. But hey, you’ve basically won and Ubisoft listened and killed him off. Yet for some reason, it’s really not enough – one should always remind everyone that Desmond was boring and that it was no real loss.

Jesus, I’d have settled for at least a good death. Something a little more dignified than that lazy excuse of a martyr death, with all the tragedy of a thunderous fart.

If I’m not getting that – I’d settle for people not telling me how “boring” Desmond was, when I’m still in mourning.

• skeletortoise says:

Was Desmond the guy who did all the Fassbendering into past bodies from modern times? Because, if so, I’d happily watch him die a thousand times if it meant Asscreed completely gave up on it’s entirely unnecessary mystical overarching plot where all the games were connected to some present day crap via a chair from the Matrix. Maybe that’s actually what happened, in which case thanks for the heads up and time to celebrate.

Probably not though, because Origins.

basilisk says:

The series hasn’t completely given up on the modern day plot, but it’s been swept into the corner, and as of Unity and Syndicate is basically limited to a couple of short cutscenes bookending the main story. It’s still there for those who want it, but it’s very unobtrusive if you don’t care about it.

• welverin says:

Black Flag is the Assassin’s Creed game for people who don’t like Assassin’s Creed.

As someone who got burnt out on the games after AC3, I liked it well enough, but the persisting problems just got to be too much, ‘d suggest giving Syndicate a try.

Of course with the new game potentially coming out this year that may be the place to pick back up.

• toallthings says:

i’ve played every single AC game, including the Chronicles games and I honestly don’t really get why everyone loves Black Flag so much. It was fun but…it’s not *that* good. yes the sailing was fun but like any gimmick it gets old pretty quickly.

• hjarg says:

Black Flag would have been so much better game if it were about booty and parrots, not assassins and Templars… and had a bit more variety to the ships as well.

5. JakeOfRavenclaw says:

Having routinely come crawling back to Assassin’s Creed in the hope that it would eventually live up the game that blossomed in my head while watching the trailers back in 2007, I have to say that Syndicate is the first one of these I really, genuinely liked. So I’m very interested to see what they’ve been cooking up during their year off.

With Unity I felt like their tech finally caught up with their ambitions in terms of being able to make urban environments feel authentic (I played it after the patches, and the performance was smooth as butter), and the movement system really solidified into something enjoyable (mostly thanks to free-run down + no more randomly shooting off of building to your death). With Syndicate they (finally) created protagonists who I actually enjoyed hanging out with for thirty hours, vastly improved the flow of the open world (being able to seamlessly start side content was great), and (FINALLY) put together a solid stealth system (the AC engine is great for climbing up the sides of cathedrals, but utterly terrible at handling fine movements in enclosed spaces, so traditional stealth was never going to work in these games. Syndicate just does away with that element of the stealth and lets you see and tag everyone through walls, at which point you can focus on swooping down while they’re isolated and picking them off one by one. You know, the actual fun part).

If they can write a story that actually feels consequential, and put together some missions that feel distinct from the open-world fluff (always one of my biggest pet peeves about this series), I’ll be extremely happy.

6. lancelot says:

And above “Follow Shadya” it says “Assassinate the Crocodile”. With an upper-case “C”, admittedly, but still, Ubisoft is such Ubisoft. “Unique kill opportunity: get swallowed whole and kill him from inside”?

• welverin says:

Real heroes save the party by jumping in the monsters mouth.

Or as the rest of the group calls it, getting swallowed and managing to do the last health level of damage from inside its stomach.

7. DaftPunk says:

The only thing they change is the damn setting,the gameplay is same since first game.. Screw you ubi

• sosolidshoe says:

Setting aside the fact that’s not actually true – I don’t think I’ll ever understand this criticism. If you don’t like something, move on, and if you do, why do you want it to change drastically with every installment?

8. FreshHands says:

I would even play CoD if it was set in ancient Egypt.

Day one buy here, no reviews needed. Sry, fellow gamers.

9. Zorgulon says:

I think this is a wonderful choice of setting for them to make a beautiful and immersive historic city in which to utterly bore us.

10. kud13 says:

They did say they were looking @ the Witcher for inspiration…

So I guess they came up with a similar looking skiff to sail around in?

Maybe they’ll also copy the brilliant innovation of having the option to turn off the minimal clutter? Then something like 66.67*% of the complaints labelled at the series might get silenced.

Personally, I still have the original sitting on my GOG shelf to be tried, and I expect I’ll try Black Flag one day, because, y’know, pirates.

*that number may not be accurate*

11. RickyButler says:

Please — no more. I’m still collecting meaningless icons within the last five indiscernible Ubisoft games.

12. racccoon says:

We’ve had enough already!@#$%! Assassins creed is the ruin of the assassin meaning, its no longer to cool to be one! Plus the game is making a mockery of history along with lookouts everywhere, you don’t want to climb anymore lookouts do you? We want to go! UNDERGROUND. oh know! I may of given them an idea…..dam! dam! Its the devil you know! he was assassin too! :)

13. fco says:

let’s hope he doesn’t try to jump down from the top of a pyramid

14. iainl says:

I could have sworn Ubisoft had called one Origins before. They went though a period where every game had to have either Origins, Revelations or Legends appended to the title, it seemed.

• welverin says:

Just Revelations for Assassin’s Creed, Rayman covered the other two.

Ninja Dodo says:

You know, I am still really burnt out on the core gameplay of this series, but I could definitely do with sailing down the Nile and climbing some Egyptian temples.

I still kinda wish they would ditch the formula and just make non-Assassin historical games though.

Ninja Dodo says:

Or mythological. Man, imagine a 3D Eye of Horus mixed with detailed historical locations. Fly around as a hawk, then land and walk around as the falcon god with a human body collecting Osiris parts while getting attacked by animated hieroglyphs and assorted monsters. That could be interesting.

16. Chiron says:

I just want to walk around the cities and not bother with the ‘plot’

Haven’t bothered with AC since the second one, in theory they are right up my alley but… oh man that plot. Oh and the lazy importing to PC.

17. Sagiri says:

God, I hope this doesn’t have boats.

Sailing in Black Flag is so slow, boring, and tedious that it absolutely killed that game for me. I might have put like 5 hours into it before giving up on it.

I know that people apparently liked Black Flag’s naval gameplay a lot. How? Why? No idea.

• Chitzkoi says:

No idea why people liked the sailing. I played it on PS3 and it was dull as ditch water.

The actual assassin stuff is fun, but deeply repetitive. Very limited shelf life.

18. MushyWaffle says:

Not a fan. I want another AC in America. I’ve beat and played them all and my favorites have been the American based. Probably because I can associate and have no interest in Europe/Middle East settings. I find them to uninteresting and boring environments. (Although I really liked Syndicate). Also, not a fan of the accents of NPC’s and foreign speaking conversations in the background.
    I prefer to fully understand what is being said.

I’ll most likely pass on another brown sandy bland environment AC.

Ninja Dodo says:

I would submit that if you are bored by exotic locales and historical architecture and unnerved by foreigners with unfamiliar accents and words this series is definitely not for you. Also probably never travel. (or maybe do and you’ll get over it)

• MushyWaffle says:

Didn’t Even come to this country till I was 12. I’ve been to 27 countries. I just find the middle east REALLY boring. If it were in Russia, China, or even Japan I could be interested. Brown, sandy and boring repetitive architecture from Africa to India, is simply how I feel about that region which unfortunately is where most of the AC games take place, they ALL are the same to me. ( I had more fun in the 3 American based AC games than any of the others)

• welverin says:

There were two games in the Middle East (three if you want to count Bloodlines, but I don’t), four in Europe, and four in the Americas.

The middle hardly dominates the series in terms of setting, and I don’t think Constantinople qualifies as brown and sandy.

19. maninahat says:

As much as I love the idea of ancient Egypt in a game, it sickens me that the only AAA title doing historical fiction to any extent is the AC games. They are the most unambitious, unimaginative and anti-fun games out there. Here’s hoping that the hiatus has given them time to actually figure out something new to do with the title.