Strafe is out now for you to shoot in

Strafe [official site], the shooty murdergame from “the past”, is out now to shoot and murder in. Alice thinks it looks a bit tryhard with all its 90s over-the-top-ness, but Adam thinks it is a glorious and brutal rampage that feels fresh despite its commitment to blocky textured throwbackism. So here I am with no idea who to trust. Adam went to a school for magicians, but Alice has attained immense knowledge from eating hundreds of lesser nerds. Whoever you side with in this great conflict, know that Strafe is out now, bloodfriends.

If you lost consciousness for a brief moment in early 2015 you might not have seen Strafe’s gory advert. Since then we’ve learned more. It’s a fast-paced, procedurally-generated FPS toying with some rouguelike elements, as modern vidyagames are wont to do. Adam played it at E3 last year and had this to say:

“Short, smart and tough, it’s a fine interpretation of a period in PC gaming that many of us remember fondly, but it has enough tricks of its own to feel elegant and modern, despite its grungy graphics”

But we’re sure to have some more to say about it soon, so stay right here and do not leave this website until we do. Or go and watch the bloodspattered and piss-takey FMV trailer for it, if you’re into that sort of Kung Fury type deal. Meanwhile, the game itself costs £14.99/$19.96 on Steam.

1. lancelot says:

And all that time I was thinking that it was just GOG re-releasing 1996 Strife.

• alvaro_cal says:

Crap! Me too… Good memories from Strife, although I never won it.

2. Creeping Death says:

Backed it in 2015 and had a complete blast with the alpha demo. Unfortunately it seems the full release needs a few patches. sub 20fps isnt a great experience :/

Mungrul says:

I had that too, but a graphics card driver update fixed it. I’m running nVidia, so if you are too, check for updates.

MajorLag says:

Considering the graphical aesthetic in use and the time period they’re trying to emulate, I can’t help but feel that they must have really dropped the ball somewhere to have performance issues.

• Turkey says:

Was it made in Unity?

• Turkey says:

Looks like it was. Unity games run like crap on some setups.

Change the “Maximum Pre-Rendered Frames” setting from “Use the 3D Application Setting” to “1” in the Manage 3D settings tab in your Nvidia Control Panel.

So far this has worked on 3 different Unity games that have ran like garbage on my computer.

3. haldolium says:

Hm taking a look tomorrow, though reviews seem not so great and giving the impression that basically nothing has changed since 2 (?) year old alpha demo.

4. April March says:

Can we get a WIT? It looks great, but it also looks very liable to go wrong.

I would suggest that to solve the quandary in your beginning paragraph would be for Alice to eat Adam, but I don’t think he’s lesser than her. Maybe they should do battle? Pokéballs are involved? I haven’t stolen an opponent’s power by eating them since the last time I ate beef.

5. Wulfram says:

“rouguelike” is a good alternative to roguelikelike.

6. Ralsto says:

Don’t worry guys. Walker will be here soon to tell us how it destroyed his childhood and doesn’t compare to modern day shooters and p.s. he couldn’t get past the first level, but that’s just an unrelated coincidence.

• Jay Load says:

“We love having a friendly, positive and constructive community”

And then there’s Ralsto.

7. horrorgasm says:

People who have been waiting for this and know exactly what they’re getting into are probably going to love it.

People who are just randomly picking this up because…reasons (why? why do people even still just pick up random games they know nothing about? who knows) are going to get their asses handed to them hard and cry about it, because that’s what those people do. *shrug*.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Because it is fun to be surprised?

• qrter says:

Yes, imagine having the temerity to buy a game because it looks mildly interesting, and then being disappointed by it, or not liking aspects of it. Worse yet, imagine saying something about it! Bloody proles, know your place!

8. KikYu0 says:

Bought it Yesterday for around 15€ and Played it around 2 Hours.

I Love Shooters, but at moment not This One.
    There is absolutly hit feedback and the Gunplay.. nah it feels all a bit to clunky.

• KikYu0 says:

“..is absolutly no hit feedback..”

• C0llic says:

Agreed. Unfortunately it’s very mediocre. I really wanted to like it as well and if anyone meets the target audience it’s me. The weapons have no heft to them and aren’t fun to use, but my biggest issue is with the sound design.

Sound cues are notably missing (think back to Quake or Doom and how important sound was for telegraphing attacks and building atmosphere) and enemies creep up on you silently while you’re using something like an upgrade station. Good sound design is essential to a twitchy, punishing game like this feeling fair and satisfying to play.

The lack of visual and audio feedback on hitting enemies and getting hit yourself also gives the whole game a floaty and unfinished feel. They’ve nailed the surface texture of 90’s shooters but missed some of the key things that made them fun to play.

9. Crimsoneer says:

Initial thoughts is that I’m not impressed by the level generation – I cancelled 2 of my 3 games because I couldn’t find the level exit, not because I died. Not HUGELY impressed so far.

10. chrisrobertrowe says:

Bought this yesterday and I’m already super addicted to it.