Steam Charts: all I play each night is Prey

In the jungle, the mighty jungle, the lion checks to see which ten games sold best on Steam over the past week. He just can’t sleep until he knows whether Prey made it to number one or not.

10. Outlast 2

A big drop for the OH GOD THAT DOOR SHUT BY ITSELF horror sequel, which predictably did well last AAAH DID THAT SHADOW JUST MOVE week as All The Right People made videos NOOOO A RUSTY WHEELCHAIR IN THE DARK screaming at it. If you want a good scary game, given Scanner Sombre a spin instead. My review will be up later today, in fact.

9. Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Wildlands

(I don’t know if that’s appropriate or not, I haven’t actually played this but it’s very much now GIF o’clock for it).

8. NieR: Automata

Every time you tell me to just turn the difficulty down and replay the hour-long tutorial that the game demanded that I repeat because I died towards the end of it, the more my resolve to never return strengthens. I know the main game is supposed to be fantastic, but on principle, I shouldn’t need to do bollocks like that to get to it.

I will play it once my child goes to university and I begin to have free time in abundance. My child turned four today, by the way, so I look forwards to playing NieR: Automata at 32K resolution in the year 2030.

7. Grand Theft Auto V

The old monolith has been sporadically dropping out of these charts in recent months, and, truth be told, I’ve almost missed it. There’s Stockholm Syndrome for you.

And maybe if I start being nice about Rockstar games again they’ll give us Red Dead Redemption 2 on PC?

6. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition

Well lah-di-fus-ro-dah, look who’s back. A $20 sale saw the mildly rejiggered Skyrim make a return to the charts, prompting a big whack of people who weren’t entitled to or missed out on the free upgrade offer last year to finally pick it up. I haven’t had the chance to revisit the SE since release, but I know that the modscene is in full swing
by now, whereas at launch the SE was something of an exercise in compromise as it lacked some of the more essential third-party add-ons.

5. H1Z1: King of the Kill

The H1Z1/PUBG war is very real now. For that reason, devs Daybreak have doubled down on promises – bug-splatting, new features, that sort of thing. Where once being the battle royale game with the most money behind it was enough to ensure success, now it has to work hard to be competitive with the fan-favourite Battlegrounds.

I wonder which major publisher will be the first to release a battle royale game? Or we wait it out until 2022 when Blizzard surely release one that demolishes all else.

4. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III

I’m glad to see it doing well because, like, I want all the races and stuff, but I must admit that I’ve bounced off this one pretty hard. I hear multiplayer’s where it’s at – though even then, divisively so – but I was never in it for that. The campaign, however, is proving dreary indeed, and now the wonderful Prey is on my hard drive too I’ve felt little call to return. I’ll be back when they stick Chaos or the ‘Nids in, I imagine.

3. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

2. Prey

I like Prey a lot. A lot more than I’d expected to, too – I played two chunks of it at preview events and came away with a not entirely accurate impression, because time limits meant the urge to progress-progress-progress annihilated my usual explore’n’packrat mentalities.

Playing at my own pace, I can go Full Kleptomaniac, spending an hour figuring out how to get into this one room, plus doubling-back to loot early sections of the space station later on thanks to new powers, Metroid style. Really, I’ve wanted a more expansive Metroid Prime-style game on PC far more than I’ve wanted another super-polished take on the ‘Shock formula, and this is very much it. So far, anyway – I’m ‘only’ ten hours in, and John reckons the navigation puzzle element starts to decline in favour of more open heroics fairly soon.

Question is, will Bethesda be happy with a number two, or did these need to be a chart-topper? Reports that, after a huge amount of promotion, it failed to dislodge Mario Kart 8 on Switch from the console top-spot might also mean squeaky bums in the fanciest chairs at Zenimax HQ.

1. PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds

Still in full-on snowball effect mode, and reportedly it’s steadily becoming a better game over time too. Battlegrounds looks set to be unstoppable for some time to come. UNSTOPPABLE:

From this site

1. Robertej92 says:

Was probably a tad over optimistic on my part but I was really hoping Edith Finch would sneak in to the top 10, obviously too niche
    to make it in there (and the price probably puts people off) but damn that’s a fantastic game.

2. fuggles says:

So excited for prey!

In about 17 years when my kids are at university. That and Witcher 3!

Back to dawn of war modding. Weeps…

phuzz says:

I think hoping that any game was going to compete with a new Mario Cart, on a new console is an exercise in frustration. It’s Nintendo doing what Nintendo do best (sell the same game each generation with minor tweaks).

Also, that headline, that’s a bloody Take That song you’ve got stuck in my head, Damn you Meer!

• Mr Solis says:

i’m glad i wasn’t the only one who got the reference!

we’re a sad bunch.

• waltC says:

A better title would have been:

“All I Do Each Night is Prey”…;)

Alpha1Dash1 says:

the first line of the text: “In the jungle, the mighty jungle, the lion” is from a 1980’s song by Tight Fit – The Lion Sleeps Tonight. Unless its coincidence, ‘cos I’m not sure he’s old enough to remember that!

MajorLag says:

I disagree. Sure, they keep using the same IPs in generally the same genres, but they’re actually quite experimental. Mario Kart itself, like Smash Brothers, exemplifies this. Familiar IP, new gameplay.

Compare the difference between Ocarina of Time, Majora’s Mask, Wind Waker, and Breath of the Wild to whatever the last 10 Madden, Call of Duty, Battlefield, and Assassin’s Creed were.

4. ahac says:

Maybe people got smart and didn’t want to blindly (no reviews at release, no demo on PC) buy Prey…

• Jason Moyer says:

I bought Prey because it said Arkane on the box. They’ve done enough games in a consistent style and quality that I’d hardly call it a blind purchase.

5. godunow says:

Happy Birthday to your child! Now turn off your computer and celebrate!

6. Makani says:

Watching that Naked Gun gif while listening to Gina G is a wonderful experience.

7. Darth Gangrel says:

Alec, who goes to university at 17? If your child is 4 now, then at 2030 he/she will be 17 and high school goes on until you’re 19 (unless 28747578 different, but still fairly identical, high school movie/tv productions have lied to me).

If the UK chart refers to the same UK chart that Gamespot touts, it only shows physical copies sold, which makes it relatively useless for measuring the amount of PC (or increasingly also console) games sold.

Good to see that Arkane’s latest hasn’t fallen Prey to “oh, what a great game according to reviews, let’s not buy it everybody” syndrome. Far too many games’ sales are inversely proportional to their quality.

tigerfort says:

“High School”? “TV”? You appear to be confusing America with Reality. Please reboot your universe and try again :)

8. Person of Interest says:

Would someone please send Alec their NieR: Automata save file from one hour into the game? PCGamingWiki suggests that the donor only needs to zip up the save folder in \Documents\My Games\NieR_Automata\, but Alec will need to run the NierAutoModSave tool to import the save.

• eLBlaise says:

The thought definitely crossed my mind and then I read his entry for Prey and realized his talk about his lack of free time is bollocks. Also I’m still trying to figure out how he died prematurely in Nier’s tutorial?

• Slazer says:

I did the same. Havent played JRPGs in forever and I didnt know that I could take potions during a fight, got killed by the double chainsaw

9. Sardonic says:

And he Preys! (Oh my god does he prey) [He preys every single day]

10. Servicemaster says:

All I need to know, RPS, is whether or not Chris Coudooloolou is on the soundtrack again. I couldn’t help but listen to the soundtrack for hours even after having played the game until completion.

11. tabyrd32 says:

I’ve actually been enjoying DOW III alot, campaign is meh, but the multiplayer is really fun. so much so that I’ve been ignoring Prey

Comment on this story