Wheels on fire: Forza Horizon 3’s Hot Wheels DLC out

Vertical roads, loop-the-loops, rings of fire, smashzones, and other such wackiness has arrived in Forza Horizon 3 [official site] with the launch of its Hot Wheels expansion yesterday. It adds several of Mattel’s toy cars as well as a new portion of the world filled with those orange stunt tracks. As a Trackmania fan, I’m delighted to see such silliness spread to other racing games.

While the Hot Wheels expansion costs money, a big update is out now free for all players. It brings support for another 21 steering wheel controllers, performance improvements, and more graphics options for low-end PCs.

First, have a gander at Hot Wheels:

That does look fun. The expansion costs £16.74/$19.99 on the Windows 10 Store or comes in the DLC season pass.

As for the update, a blog post lists the newly-supported wheels (a load of Fanatec, Logitech, and Thrustmaster spinnies) and details the performance improvements. I know some of y’all like to get technical, so let’s see what they say about CPU tweaks:

“We have observed that a large portion of players are CPU limited when trying to run Forza Horizon 3 at high frame rates, including locked 60 FPS and unlocked. By analyzing telemetry, we have developed targeted optimizations for this group of affected players by increasing the number of concurrent threads used by the render architecture. We have taken further advantage of DX12 capabilities to allow the visuals to be processed out of order during the frame, in order to reduce synchronization stalls and decrease CPU execution duration. These changes result in a significant CPU performance gain on High or Ultra settings when running on PCs of Recommended spec or better.”

Ah yes, so Forza Horizon 3 now runs faster on good PCs. Gotcha. Turn 10 add, “We have updated our threading affinity model to make better use of all available cores,” which also means the game should run better. For folks with slower PCs, they’ve added ‘very low’ options for the Dynamic Geometry Quality and World Car Level of Detail settings, which means slowpokes can make the game uglier to run faster.

All this also means that Turn 10 have lowered the game’s minimum system requirements, which is nice. Few developers remember to change specs to reflect improvements.

phuzz says:

If Forza was on Steam, or GOG then I’d have it wishlisted and I’d have probably bought a copy by now, but as far as I can tell it’s not been on sale online yet, so instead I have to keep an eye out for a cheap boxed copy like it’s 1997.

• Carr0t says:

Does it even have a boxed retail copy on PC? My understanding is you have to buy the digital distribution version even on console to have access to the game multiplatform (i.e. on PC).

I could be wrong…

phuzz says:

You can buy…something…from retailers, but that might just be a box with a download code.

• bee says:

Alas digitally it’s only available via the Windows store :(

• Slazia says:

The Windows Store? Great name. Next time I need a digital window, I know where to look.

• Faldrath says:

It actually was on sale last Christmas (at least in the Brazilian Windows store), but yeah, it wasn’t a major thing (20% or so, I think).

And as usually happens whenever FH3 updates, it’s a major headache. My game won’t run at all, so apparently it’s reinstall time. Whee.

(it is a fantastic game, though)

2. isolatedRay says:

I heard it’s a lot better optimized now, according to dsogaming.com.

• KikYu0 says:

tryed it 2 hours now.. its a huge difference for me. i would say.. it .. fuck it feels awesome now.

gtx1080, i7-6850K

3. grundus says:

I fucking love this game. It’s without question the best racing game I’ve ever played and quite possibly the best game with cars in, too. The one thing it lacks (in the vanilla game at least) is roads suited for small, light, low-powered cars – pretty much everything in the D class is boring to drive and sadly it feels like they’re only there to give you a wide array of project cars that all end up feeling the same to drive when you’ve dropped the biggest engine and AWD drivetrain in them. The rest is really great, it’s just a shame I’ve finished all the vanilla events, though this patch has made me consider buying the expansion pass.

Anyway, before the patch I was getting 70fps at the most (all settings on ultra at 1440p with an i5 4690K (stock clock) and GTX 1080) – sadly not a great yardstick for most people) and lows of 30 in Surfer’s Paradise and 40 in Byron Bay, but it was limited to very few areas, I’d say my average was in the high 50s, low 60s. Now, I’ve seen highs of 90+ and the lowest I’ve seen it is 55, now averaging high 70s. Whatever they did – which was to get it to run on more than one core – it really worked and I’m very impressed!

4. Rince says:

I wonder if they will put the game in Steam someday…