Starbound is adding player-built space stations

Crafty space sandbox Starbound [official site] will add the ability to build your own space station in its next update. Living on planets is for lahoo-oo-oo-serrrs so Starbounders and starcads will get to build their own space base out of snap-together modules, shaping and decorating stations as they please. Me, I’d want my station to be a space bar in a space garden but I am of course aware that a large number of space tadgers will be built.

Players will start a station by deploying a probe into orbit in a system, which will start them out with a spacebox with a door and a teleporter and not much else. From there, players can add modules in a large variety of shapes and sizes if they have the resources to pay for ’em. Here’s developers Chucklefish demonstrating expansion:

Also due in update 1.3 are mechs, letting players build their own modular mech (and paint it, and add a horn) to stomp around and explore space in safety and comfort. Expanding space is a big (and broad) focus of update 1.3. Chucklefish are also expanding space exploration so players can properly poke around between worlds, getting into scraps and maybe finding some interesting places. And that’s just what we know so far.

We’ve still no firm word on when Starbound version 1.3 will launch.

1. CloneWarrior85 says:

That looks awesome, and seems a good reason to go back to it.

They only need to re-add the randomised aliens, miss them a lot from the first versions of the game.

Drib says:

This sort of seems pointless. I mean it’s cute and all, but serves little to no in-game mechanical purpose.

Kind of like building on planets, for more than an overnight shelter.

Eh.

• MrLoque says:

I agree. Starbound focuses on building stuff without a real purpose. Mostly for aesthetics and nothing else.

• Eliijahh says:

I agree. I would love for a game like Starsector to give more “function” to building. This really alienated me from the game, as you have such a big playable area, but no reason to really make use of it.

Harlander says:

You can get tenants in your planetside structures. It’s a bit undercooked – they’re just various types of shopkeepers who occasionally give you the odd random quest – but it’s somethin’.

• Kitsunin says:

To be fair, none of such games encourage you to build pretty things aside from the joy of it. Building in Starbound is great because what you get is just plain gorgeous.

Drib says:

Maybe not “pretty” things, but at least in Terraria you build rooms so that NPCs will move in, with unique stuff they do. NPCs in Starbound are just this side of useless.

I had fun with Starbound, I just find the building portion to be incredibly useless.

• brucethemoose says:

Depends on how loosely you define “such games”.

Factorio/Fortresscraft encourage you to build elaborate, functional systems to advance through the game. Modded Minecraft mixes a bit of both, offering complex systems with purposes, aesthetic ones, and everything in between.

• brucethemoose says:

Have you tried Dig or Die?

It’s a terraria-like, but you build turrets and systems to power them with the goal of holding back hoards of monsters at night and, eventually, escaping.

• Rindan says:

Dig or Die is amazing for what it is. It isn’t as big as these games, but it really gives your constructions purpose. You built a base because you need a place to fight from. You built all those supports and such because you need to cross the canyon.

I played it while they were still doing a lot of work on it. I should revisit it.

3. Seafoam says:

I wish they would give some manner of Main Story rewamp as well. I love the game but the story and the missions were somewhat dull, and there was nothing about the Novakids, which have so much potential for fun missions.
    Maybe add just some more quests to the outpost? Then it would be worth replaying all over again.

4. Rince says:

I was waiting for a sale, and completely forgot about this game existence.
    Or maybe I should just grab it in GOG, which give me regional pricing… but the achievements!!