Platinum’s Vanquish powersliding to PC May 25th

Vanquish [official site], the superfast and supersilly third-person shooter from PlatinumGames, will finally come to PC on May 25th, Sega have announced. Platinum are best known for hack ‘n’ slashing in games including Bayonetta (which finally hit PC in April) and Nier: Automata, and Vanquish is an interesting game for carrying some similar ideas. Vanquish can be played like any cover-based shooter but that seems a waste when you can also zip around with rocket-powered knee slides in slowmo.

The game originally hit consoles in 2010, and it was one of the two reasons I held onto my Xbox 360 for so long (the other was Bayonetta). It’s fast, it’s daft, and it’s cool. It’s perhaps not as slick as some of Platinum’s other games but heck, they make some of the best games. I wish they had made more shooters after this. If you want to know story, something something Russians something go to a space station city blah blah KICKFLIP ALL ROBOTS.

Sega’s announcement today also shouted some technical details. Vanquish on PC support keyboard and mouse controls, for starters. Framerate-wise, you’re looking at a 60fps cap normally but it will have the option to unlock and go up to 144fps. As for graphics options, Sega say:

“Vanquish has enhanced PC graphics options with unlocked resolutions up to 4K, anti-aliasing, anisotropic filtering, SSAO lighting, scalable texture and shadow quality, and more.”

The Xbox 360 version could be a little jerky so I’m excited to play Vanquish superslick and in high-res.

Vanquish will cost £14.99 when it hits Steam [data warning: that Steam page has 80 megabytes of embedded GIFs] on Thursday the 25th of May. Folks who own Bayonetta on Steam will get a 25% discount.

1. Da5e says:

Best skidding in any videogame ever. I’m aggressively excited by this – all I need now is Mushihimesama Futari and Dodonpachi Saidaioujou on Steam and I can retire my creaking Xbox.

2. DaftPunk says:

Kinda pointless releasing games ten years later when they look so freakingly dated,graphics and gameplay..

• John Richardson says:

Except it doesn’t really look that dated, especially with all the pc ‘upgrades’ in graphical options.
      The game play opinion is each to their own mostly but I’m not sure how dated that would be for this either. Unless you’ve played the console original really recently, you can’t really factually state it.

• Pich says:

dude what? the graphics are fine and the gameplay is probably gonna be even better with M&K.

• BoboDaHobo says:

Definitely disagreed. Even if I did think Vanquish looked dated, a game not being released within the past 6 months doesn’t suddenly make it not worth playing (especially when I don’t think there’s been any other shooter that quite does what Vanquish does). Games don’t have expiration dates! I still love games that are 10, 15, or 20+ years old!

• Cerulean Shaman says:

Some gamers judge games solely based on graphics and “coolness”, they also tend to be a certain age range but I digress…

I still think gameplay trumps everything. There are fantastic games that have aged considerably but still are fun as hell to play, and if I was okay with some pixelated junk back then and still had loads of fun then anything above that can be excusable if the game is fun.

That’s how a true gamer *should* judge games, not just based on graphics or “lmaocoolness” factor, but story, execution, gameplay, ect…

• Synesthesia says:

I would also like to comment that you are mistaken

• fish99 says:

Looks fine to me, I’ll probably pick it up.

• Kaeoschassis says:

I would expect somebody with your username to be better able to appreciate something regardless of its age.

Well, your loss. I think it looks cracking.

• a potato. says:

Why, though?
        It sure was a daft thing to say.
        I say he gets a pass.

• UncleLou says:

Gameplay looks “freakingly dated” compared to, what, exactly? What’s your point of reference here? What are the games that, since 2010, have revolutionised the genre to make this look dated? Genuinely curious, and I’ll gladly look into your suggestions, maybe I’ve missed a few gems that I can pick up.

• Darth Gangrel says:

I haven’t played anything with this kind of slide mechanic since F.E.A.R. It was so fun to slide/drop kick enemies that I did it all the time (god mode helped as well, heh). Too few games offer movement options other than walk/run/crouch.

3. Eraysor says:

The true successor to Silent Bomber

• Turkey says:

It needs a grappling hook so it can be the true successor to Rocket Jockey.

4. haldolium says:

Great news.

I sure hope they get the controls right. Vanquish on PC is pointless without proper FOV and tight M/K controls. And knowing Platinum, there is a high chance that it will not happen.

• Nelyeth says:

Since it’s the first shooter they release on PC, I’m willing to trust them on this.

Sure, the M/K controls were mediocre at best for their other games on the platform, but who the hell would even think about playing this kind of third person slash-em-up without a controller ?

Mungrul says:

Erm, Vanquish is about as far from a “slash-em-up” as you can get. Just sayin’

• Dewal says:

I think that’s his point. With the other games, M/K wasn’t really important because a slash’em up is better played with a controller.
          But with this game, they may make a real effort.

5. Michael Fogg says:

I’m indifferent to Bayo, but I’d really like to try this on PC. It had some great desing and ideas, but came late in the X360 life cycle and just looked like a blurry mess, even on the home platform. This PC reissue should really allow Vanquish to spread its wings and soar.

6. Kingseeker Camargo says:

So, Bayonetta. Has anyone around here heard about the horrible performance issues some people are having? You play the tutorial A-OK, and suddenly the framerate sinks into the 10s, no matter what kind of pc you have. The worst part is that it’s been rather clearly proved to be a problem with the Steamworks integration (the issue goes away if you replace the steam_api.dll file with a cracked version), which is a bit of an embarrassment; but I don’t think I’ve seen it mentioned in any gaming website.

The forums are on fire about the problem (as they would), but it’s difficult to gauge how representative of the general audience those really are.

• fish99 says:

Which forums, Steam? I see one story about it with 7 posts.

• Kingseeker Camargo says:

I see 6 posts in the main page alone, including this one that has 30+ replies (granted, there’s a lot of tangential crap in there).

And the “general tech support” thread also acknowledges the issue, down to the part where you fix it by using a cracked file; which, incidentally, is what I myself had to do (it goes from ~10 FPS to a solid 60 just by switching that one file, it’s unbelievable). Needless to say, it’s a pretty crappy situation having to fish for pirated versions in order to play a game I paid money for.

• fish99 says:

The post you linked, the guy fixed his framerate by installing new drivers. I did find 2 posts about the problem though, so fair enough there obviously is an issue there for some people.

7. Artea says:

I hope this is as good as it’s hyped up to be by its most devout fans. Third-person cover-based shooters with regenerating health bore me to tears, and I genuinely believe Gears of War’s success had a terrible influence on the rest of the industry, popularizing a bunch of terrible gameplay mechanics. From what I’ve read, Vanquish seems to have been designed as a sort of subversive alternative to that style of game, which certainly has me intriqued…but it still uses sticky cover and health regen, which leaves me a bit skeptical.

• TechnoSyndrome says:

You can play all of Vanquish without entering cover once. The game actually actively discourages cover usage by keeping a tally of the percentage of your playtime you’ve hid behind cover both in the current act and the overall game, and shows you both at the end of each mission. Your character is mobile enough to never need it, and I think the ability to play as a normal boring cover shooter is why there’s a subset of people who think Vanquish is overrated, because they just played it like Gears of War and never saw what was special about it.

Personally I only ever use the cover mechanic to immediately leap over and slow down time, or when I want to throw a cigarette.

• LennyLeonardo says:

On the highest difficulty setting (amazing fun, though “fun” is not quite the right word), staying in cover for more than a split second is usually very, very bad. Vanquish is quite deliberately an antidote to the cover shooter boredom the OP describes, and it is wonderful.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

I will definitely be giving g this another go when it comes out. I had the PS3 version but could never get into it but I think now I should have a better time understanding how to play properly.

Everyone always says they wish Platinum would do another game like this, but this was directed by Shinji Mikami while he worked there. I am waiting to see what Tango have been up to since Evil Within.

Thulsa Hex says:

Yussss! Never got to play this on 360 and the Bayonetta port was perfect.

AutonomyLost says:

Fucking right! This is a pleasant surprise indeed. Day-one buy for sure.

11. Bobtree says:

Vanquish is good, but didn’t blow me away. I didn’t get into the score chasing and higher difficulty levels though.