New VR Battlezone blasts into PC cybergoggles

Last time someone ‘rebooted’ Battlezone [read: applied a known brand name to a largely-unrelated game -ed.], we got a splendid FPS-RTS. This time, new owners Rebellion are rebooting closer to the series’ origins with arcade-y tankblasting in the game they call simply Battlezone [official site]. After jacking into PlayStation VR last year, Battlezone today arrived on PC exclusively for cybergoggles.

In more-important Rebellion news: did you see that they have got a live-action Judge Dredd TV show in the pipeline? Mate!

Battlezone is a first-person tanker, battling for control of procedurally-generated battlefields in singleplayer and co-op. You have a tank, and so do your enemies. Get shooting.

One of our new stepsiblings at Eurogamer wrote a Wot I Think of Battlezone on PSVR, though in their quaint family dialect they call it a “review”. We’re still a new family so, in the interests of a friendly start, let’s try not get to hung up on their twee affectations. Christian Donlan said:

“Is it basic? Absolutely. But it’s also colourful and heartfelt and, despite its fast pace, it didn’t make me remotely sick. There are showier VR games out there, for sure, but this is a nice thing to return to once you’ve had your fill of gimmicks.”

The game looks a little something like this:

A launch discount brings Battlezone to £25.49/31,44€/$33.99 on Steam. It’s made for Rift, Vive, and OSVR goggs.

Yup, this is now three different games from three different publishers all sharing the name ‘Battlezone’. Rebellion did recently revamp and re-release Activision’s fine Battlezone FPS-RTS from the ’90s, so that’s nice.

1. Zach Fett says:

It’s a shame it’s VR-only. I played it on PSVR and didn’t once feel like the VR was required to play the game. It’s nice being able to look around the cockpit, but it’s not necessary whatsoever.

Personally I can’t play VR games for very long, and I’d put a lot more time into this game if I could take off the headset and still play it.

• Flopdong says:

I get the same problem with VR. Looking at a screen that is only an inch in front of my eye really makes my eyes start to burn after an hour or so. I have to take it off for awhile

• Caiman says:

I’d be all over this if there was a non-VR mode. I can’t touch cybergoggles, but this certainly doesn’t look like it needs them. I’m old enough to remember how great the original arcade Battlezone was.

• Howl says:

Didn’t the original arcade machine have you looking through goggles?

2. Sakkura says:

I knew there was an upcoming VR game I’d forgotten. Neat. Should keep my goggles heated up until Star Trek Bridge Crew arrives at the end of the month.

Drib says:

Pity they’re limiting their audience so hard. VR-only has got to cut the potential market by over 90% at least.

4. Flank Sinatra says:

The cockpit looks a lot like Elite Dangerous. They’re even selling extra bobbleheads for the dashboard, just like ED.

5. FredSaberhagen says:

Does this remind anyone else of Spectre? The manual had an incredible short story where Hal had to jack in to play in “VR” . Funny this is now a reality 20 years later

6. April March says:

“Bobbleheads sold separately” would be an obvious joke in a game trailer from, what, ten years ago?

7. Cyda says:

I think I might have to pick this up for my Rift.