Path of Exile: The Fall of Oriath beta dates and deets

Path of Exile

I know a bunch of RPS readers play the free-to-play Diablo-ish online RPG, Path of Exile [official site] even though it hasn’t wormed its way into the staff playlist yet and thus I am going to pick my way through the upcoming beta info for the game’s expansion, The Fall of Oriath!

Let’s start with the trailer which blitzes through glimpses of the different acts:

The Fall of Oriath is due out for realsies in July but, because it’s such a chunky beast of a thing and does some rebalancing, there’s going to be a beta phase where the team works out if they’ve hit the mark or if something has gone dreadfully wrong.

The beta is currently set to start on 7 June with potential wiggle room a few days either side, so roughly a week after the Legacy challenge league finishes on 29 May. I think the challenge leagues are the things which swap in and out to make changes to the game economy and offer up new experiences (this particular one lets players revisit previous leagues hence the Legacy title).

To bridge the gap between the expansion and the Legacy league end, the main client will be getting events while waves of invites will be sent to active players for beta access. If you want to get in you can either hope for an invite or buy your access via supporter packs (there isn’t any pricing info specifically for those but the current crop range from $30-$440 depending on how much merch and other associated gubbins you’re after).

If you’re super into Path of Exile and have dropped the levels of cash on that game that I’ve thrown at Dota 2 you should also note:

“In addition, we will likely invite players with significant previous support immediately without the need for a purchase. We define this as a purchase of any top-tier pack ($440 or above) or people whose total lifetime purchases combine to $500 or more. For everyone who supports in any amount, thank you. You make expansions like this possible.”

The beta will include a big chunk of the expansion but the team are withholding the last two acts. I assume that’s because they don’t want people burning through the whole thing in days and then being done with the expansion before the full release is even out.

Beta characters and items will be destroyed when the beta ends rather than porting over and if you ask the devs for a key they will ignore you. “We get flooded with thousands of requests, so it is not possible to fairly judge the merits of each person asking. Mails or messages asking for beta keys will be ignored. Please do not ask us for Beta keys. Sorry!”

OH! and just as a point of note about the rebalancing, the big thing the devs are getting rid of is “double dipping”:

Alas, double dipping is not about putting soiled chips into the communal hummous in this context. It’s essentially a situation where a damage modifier is applied twice to the same damage source, once to the initial hit and then to the secondary damage over time bit. Knowing how to exploit that particular set of interactions and modifiers can significantly affect builds so I’m guessing that its removal might really switch up how people play.

In more specific terms:

“In the Beta for The Fall of Oriath, we’re going to be trying out a new damage over time system. Skills will calculate their Ignite, Poison or Bleed values as a separate damage value, taken straight from the base and added damage of the skill. This will give skills that deal fire damage a minimum and maximum Ignite Damage per Second value that will be rolled on Ignites that the skill causes. Poison, Bleed and Ignite damage values will be based on the base damage of the skill, and then affected by appropriate damage modifiers. Some damage modifiers will affect both the hit and the Ignite, Poison or Bleed, while some may only affect one.”

The full beta FAQ is here if you fancy perusing it. There are also no fewer than three posts looking at the changes to damage over time: Part 1, Part 2, Part EVEN MORE INFO.

From this site

1. Faldrath says:

Far and away the best ARPG in the market right now, with a great free-to-play model from a company with excellent customer support and community management.

PoE has had so many updates and changes since release that it has become a very complex beast, but once you get past the learning curve, you’re in for a great treat.

I do hope that when Fall of Oriath is released, RPS takes a good long look at the game – although it would likely require someone from outside who knows it well, because I don’t think learning PoE would fit into RPS’s usual time allotted for reviews :)

Minsc_N_Boo says:

I am really looking forward to this!

PoE is by far my favourite ARPG. This update should hopefully make it even better, so I am hoping to be a lucky beta-boy!

2. njury says:

I wish I had time to play a season or 2 of this, it’s such an amazing game.

• LexW1 says:

I’ve always liked it, but I got in near the beginning of a season a while back, played through most of it, and it was GREAT, probably the best ARPG experience I’ve had since D2 LOD. Really hoping it says good with FoO.

3. Stepout says:

Most of my time spend with PoE was in the alpha/beta, so it’s been quite a while. I believe Grinding Gear Games was only like 10 or 12 people strong during the alpha. I wonder how big they are now? I’m not surprised the game is still going strong given how smart the GGG team is and how involved they are with their fans. First at bat and they knocked it out of the park with an always-online f2p game, lol! Mad props to the GGG squad.

• Faldrath says:

As far as I know, they’re currently the largest development house in New Zealand with more than 100 staff:

link to stuff.co.nz

• geisler says:

I also belong to the “played the alpha/beta but since then never again camp”. Is it still possible to catch up to the new content and systems as a new player without investing days worth of gametime?

• Faldrath says:

@geisler: Most new systems were grafted into the normal game and can be accessed from the beginning, but it would still take you a good while to reach “endgame”.

At this point, you might as well wait for 3.0, since it will get rid of one of the main bugbears of leveling – you won’t have to face the same content in 3 difficulty levels anymore to reach endgame, the story should progress seamlessly from beginning to end and then the map system will open up.

4. Telkir says:

It would be an excellent game even if you had to pay for it… but you don’t. If every company produced F2P games to the same quality and philosophy as GGG, well, it’d be happy days indeed.

Anyone wary about the F2P nature of the game should keep in mind that storage space on free accounts is perfectly adequate for your first character or two, even if you’re a packrat. If you decide you’re going to be spending a lot of time in the game then buying stash tabs is considerably cheaper / more generous than in similar games like Marvel Heroes, where I found myself running out space much more quickly. They also run discounts on stash space fairly regularly.

PoE has some cons: There’s a bit of a learning curve; the unrelenting grittiness of the story and setting may not be for everyone; the combat sometimes doesn’t feel as buttery smooth as D3. Those things aside, though, the game is absolutely worth a look and can easily devour days of your life if you let it. So yes, RPS, play it already! :P

steves says:

Yeah, this.

The game has many annoying faults, but the fact you can play for hundreds of hours, with lots of characters, all for free, with no gameplay/power restrictions is pretty great.

It is very dark and grim and gloomy though.

If you eventually figure out the crazy complex mechanics and want to push ‘end game’ you’ll realise that currency storage and a premium tab for selling* stuff are going to be required, but that costs about $15 total. And probably leaves enough left-over points to buy the only essential cosmetic microtransaction: being able to hide or transform the ugly looking gear.

*technically possible without buying anything, but a huge faff & requires 3rd party addons

Drib says:

I like PoE but I wish it was less multiplayer. It’s a bit hard to feel like the sole hero exile guy when I pop into the crappy driftwood shelter and there’s 80 guys in full plate standing around.

Qazinsky says:

If you have the energy for it, you can always hold down ctrl while transitioning to town, that will allow you to choose what instance of the town to go to, maybe there’s one almost empty to choose.

Ctrl+entering works with most areas by the way and is the fast way to reset it, by making a new instance instead of waiting the time needed to reset on its own. I am not sure, but I don’t think you can start your own new instances of the towns.

• Rwlyra says:

You are not the sole exile, don’t know where you got that idea :P you even start near some other dumped person that gets eaten by a zombie

• SeraphyGoodness says:

As of this last league, they added a Solo mode (called Solo Self Found), which locks you out of trading / global. I’ve not tried it myself, but it may give you the towns all to yourself, for that lonely hero feel. It’s an extra checkbox on character start, and can be used in Hardcore or Softcore modes.

6. Chaoslord AJ says:

Great value for free though I bought a black cat companion on impulse.
    Can’t really bring myself to grind through the old acts every time an expansion comes out but I’ll definietly return some day.

• pr13st says:

Heh, made an account to reply to you. Did you know they are ditching the old act 1-4 on normal, cruel and merciless difficulties in favor of a new one?

What if I told you they will have 10 acts, no difficulties, with acts 6-10 being acts 1-5 but with modified areas, new creatures and bosses that are “gods”?

• ye-ole-PK says:

I cant wait for this. I login after every new update but I stop once I reach the end and can’t bring myself to go through another play through to reach end game.

These new changes will be great!

I have the same issues with D3, but they added the adventure mode and it made it easier for me to play more than once.

• Chaoslord AJ says:

That does indeed change things so I could now start with the newer acts immediately.
        Thanks for clearing up.

7. lrbaumard says:

Honestly… I didn’t really take to this
    I think the main thing that repulsed me was the art style, too dark mainly. In general it really put me off the game

8. Viral Frog says:

I burnt out on PoE after around 70 hours. That’s probably the fastest I’ve ever burnt out on an ARPG. That said, I’m pretty excited for all the changes they have planned in this upcoming expansion. I’ll definitely be dipping back in once the patch is out.

9. VLTIONIS says:

I’m closing in on 2000 hours in this game, and I’m still learning things. It is completely ruining my backlog-clearing endeavour.

I can still see myself playing this game for many leagues.

If you want to give the game a go, you gan find the RPS guild here on the forums – if someone is online, feel free to question away.

10. Ghostwise says:

I love PoE to bits, though I’m currently playing Titan Quest for a change of pace.

But there have been so many layers of additions and new features that I wonder how tall the cliff is for a complete newcomer. That sure is a lot of information to process.

(Also, beginners should follow a tested, current build guide unless they become deeply immersed in how the game evolves).

Qazinsky says:

I know I have said this before in Path of Exile threads, but one of the most common problems I see with people building their own skill tree from start is that they take too few life nodes.

You will be chugging along nicely, dealing with things quite simply and well until about act 3 or 4 on Cruel difficulty where you will just be oneshot by alot of things. Then you finally hit Merciless and your negative resistances will make sure even more things oneshot you and now the xp penalty for a death will make sure you never level again.

Unless you’re going Chaos Inoculation, you probably want more life nodes in your skill tree.

Comment on this story