Mech it so: Paradox are publishing BattleTech

At the Paradox Convention 2017, the strategy game developer/publisher announced that they would be working with Harebrained Schemes as publisher of Battletech, the turn-based squad level tactical mech game that was an instant Kickstarter success in 2015. We’ve already spoken to the developers in-depth but this weekend will be our first chance to play, and I’ll be speaking to BattleTech creator Jordan Weisman about the collaboration with Paradox and the game itself.

This is the first Paradox Convention open to the public, a combined fanfest and press event. The public segment begins tomorrow and there will be talks by Paradox developers and third-parties, including Mojang, Frontier and Skylines developers Colossal Order. Along with the announcements, there’ll be hands-on with games, including the new Skylines expansion Mass Transit, and I’ll be playing everything available as well as talking to Paradox about the future of their grand strategy games in this, the fifth year of Crusader Kings 2.

Paradox opened the event by going through the highlights of 2017, all of which have been expansions: Stellaris: Utopia, Crusader Kings 2: Monks and Mystics, and Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven. The long life of these internally developed games is a core part of Paradox’s business model, but the company is also expanding as a publisher. That includes not only third-party originals like Battletech, but ports of existing titles such as Prison Architect on tablet.

From this site

1. Tyrmot says:

Nice. Good publisher for a game I’m very much looking forward to (and backed on KS)

2. Sp4rkR4t says:

They put shaky cam on concept art?

3. Gothnak says:

Come along now, i need to play this.. Single Player only obviously… Backed and excited…

4. Pravin Lal's Nuclear Arsenal says:

These news couldn’t have come at a better time for me: last Sunday I had my first game of tabletop Battletech in…twenty years? I found my dusty copy of the old 4th ed. introductory box and immediately introduced the game to my group. I’ve been on a nostalgia trip ever since.

• Cloud07 says:

It’s awesome if you can find a group to play the classic tabletop with. It’s such a great game, lots of fond memories playing that at the local shop.

• Pravin Lal's Nuclear Arsenal says:

Yep. The lads seemed to like the game well enough, I’ll try to sneak in a few more scenarios. It’s a game I wished I could play more of when I was a kid but my brother found it too complex and boring. To be fair, it IS a clunky beast but so, so rewarding! I’ll have my goddamn lance of pilots even if it’s the last thing I do.

5. FreshHands says:

Paradox are quickly becoming the publisher with all the right ideas and IPs.

I really hope it will work out for them and all of us!

Captain Narol says:

THAT !

• Darth Gangrel says:

I’m only interested in their plans with World of Darkness. Give us another Bloodlines, eh? They’re developing a werewolf game now at elast, but got no idea were that is at this point. Perhaps we’ll see it once in a blue moon.

• Marr says:

I don’t want another Bloodlines if it means a horribly bugged game that fails commercially, sinks the developer, and only gains wider appreciation after years of hacking work from a dedicated cult following.

6. twaitsfan says:

Looks like Front Mission 3. Works for me!

7. SaintAn says:

Lets hope they don’t release it bare bones and have $200 of extra content you have to buy to get the full game.

• Scripten says:

Thankfully, the backer update to go along with this mentioned that they plan to complete the game and only do large expansion pack-style DLC rather than the bite-sized kind Paradox are associated with. (Though I’d argue that Stellaris has done a good job avoiding that, comparatively.)

• Sound says:

I’d argue the opposite: Stellaris was a sleek but bare-bones game, with very few tools or gameplay options at release. Particularly relative to prior Paradox titles on their releases.

And it’s conceivable that Hare Brained’s plan changes to adapt to the Paradox model, particularly given Paradox’s string of successes. Other than HBS’ word, is there anything to keep them from splitting their expansion concepts into smaller DLC’s? Particularly given that it’s likely the easier option, developmentally as well as financially.

On the bright side, it’s a whole different batch of developers and product leadership, so HBS’ idea of what constitutes a good-enough DLC might well be richer than PDX’s.

Comment on this story