Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+ opens second booster pack

Yet more items have dropped into mom’s basement with the second ‘booster pack’ for The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth † [official site]. Out now, it rolls more player-made mods into the official roster. Some of them are handy, like Jumper Cables recharging your active item as you kill enemies, while others appeal to vanity, like more graphics for bomb combos and a dresser table reshuffling your appearance-changing items. And huzzah, the update has also reworked Angel Rooms to be less useless!

Check out the unofficial patch notes over here for the full scoop on all the new items and changes. The new items sound like handy and interesting additions, and the new Stompy transformation might be fun, but it’s the Angel Room changes I’m digging most. Angel Rooms have always been less powerful and more fiddly than their Devilish counterparts, making Angel-path runs rarely worth it even if the items are free. Now they offer loads more items and health, perhaps I’ll try ’em more.

This second booster arrives seven weeks after the first, which stretches the plan for “monthly(ish)” updates. Co-creator Edmund McMillen addressed this in a blog post:

“Remember when I said we were attempting monthly(ish) booster updates? Well I guess that should have read bi-monthly(ish). Turns out it’s not as quick and easy as we expected, but bear with us.

“We have recently acquired 2 new booster helpers, you probably know them actually. (But we will talk about that more in next month’s post.) Their addition may not speed things up a ton, but it will mean that the next booster may feature some extra bits and pieces that I think you guys will dig.”

I do like bits and pieces, almost as much as things and stuff.

McMillen also has an update on another of his projects, one with Closure dev Tyler Glaiel (I guess this one?):

“On a side note note, many of you know this but Tyler and I have been in crunch mode for the past 3 months trying to finish this secret project. We are coming close to announcing it and its release date, so keep an eye out for it, I don’t want to spoil the fun yet but i can say this.

“It’s hard, it’s weird, it’s personal, it has amazing controls, it’s a totally new unannounced IP and it’s easily one of the largest games I’ve ever made level wise.”

Oh, and if you don’t usually play Isaac daily runs, here’s a notice to check out today’s. It’s tricky but a good laugh and makes How To Jump very fun indeed.

1. Fnord73 says:

So, you all got this Binding of Isaac subculture? I have played the game, but this article was pure greek to me. What does it mean?

• ButteringSundays says:

Yes how are people that don’t play Isaac supposed to know what it means to add new items to a game? Pure gobbledygook!

2. GameCat says:

Does it still is a boring slog when RNG decides to fuck you up with a wave of useless items?

• aerozol says:

This item update didn’t remake the core mechanics of this extremely successful game to my preferences??! Better comment about it on RPS!

• GameCat says:

I like this game and idea behind it, but it way too often turns into boring slog of shooting bullet sponges. I thought this pack fixed it somehow.

• asmodemus says:

Hold R = profit.

If you want an edge for your runs, reset until you get a nice start. It’s exactly what people do when speed running and it still gives you than nice RNG kick, while giving you a slightly more forgiving start.

That said there will always be weak runs. Those are what separates skill levels of players. All of us can win with a Dark bum and Brim in the first devil room, it’s the times you’re trying to grind it out after mistakenly rolling into soymilk or something that can be really fun though!

3. ButteringSundays says:

“The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth †”

I see it referred to this way sometimes, but it’s advertised as ‘Afterbirth +’, and the game imagery on Steam clearly includes a plus sign, and it’s referred to as ‘Afterbirth plus’.

What’s the deal?

• Nevard says:

The official name is Afterbirth† but it’s written as Afterbirth+ on storefronts because + is a more standard symbol.

4. poliovaccine says:

Am I crazy, or did the header image change to a different, yet very similar one?

• Kitsunin says:

You aren’t crazy. Originally, Isaac was closer to the edge of the screen, and facing sideways IIRC.

• poliovaccine says:

Thaaaank you, that’s exactly what I thought but I didnt want to say so myself til someone else verified it first.

• Kitsunin says:

I didn’t realize it had changed ’til I read your comment. I just got an odd feeling something was off!