PaRappa & Gitaroo Man chaps team up for Rap Rabbit

Two of the main chaps behind such fine rhythm games as PaRappa the Rapper and Gitaroo Man have teamed up to crowdfund a musical battle game they’re currently calling Project Rap Rabbit [official site]. It’ll visit an alternate version of 16th century Japan with a rabbit who — get this! — raps. He thinks he’s people! It’s the gamebaby of Masaya Matsuura, who’s known for rhythm ’em ups like PaRappa and Vib-Ribbon, and Keiichi Yano, designed Gitaroo Man and directed Elite Beat Agents. I’m delighted to see them rhythming onto PC. Have a peek at their pitch video:

The rap battles of Project Rap Rabbit will have players tapping buttons to beats, as is customary, but with the added element of picking different styles of verse — ones which coerce, boast, laugh, or joke — to counter what your opponent is spitting. That sounds a nice touch.

Even though I’ve only played PaRappa and Elite Beat Agents on friends’ consoles, I’m well up for more from some of those games’ lead developers. I’m into dogs who learn karate from rapping onions and crack cheerleader squads who appear when people most need motivation.

The developers plan to release Project Rap Rabbit by August 2018, assuming they can get the £855,000 they’re looking for on Kickstarter.

1. Shazbut says:

As cool as this is, £850k seems a big ask. Are there enough people who really nerd out on early 90s hip-hop? Even then, PaRappa was not exactly a deep simulation of rap. What is the niche demographic that is going to throw thousands of pounds at this?

• Seafoam says:

You wouldn’t believe how many people grew up with Parappa the rapper or Gitaroo man, or became fans of the series later in life. The games are still charming to an adult audience, just like animal crossing and such.

I personally feel like this is not the issue of what audience wants this, the world needs a new game like that!
      This might just be my nostalgia talking, but whether be it you, your nephew, or your niece, they all deserve a game alike Parappa! There’s just that everlasting charm to rap rythm games, I feel.

2. The Bitcher III says:

I’m always in favour of good vibes, fun and whimsy. I seem to remember trying to play this game twice.

First time, properly. Got nowhere. Several years later, I figured out you could just mash all the buttons and… well. Blow the levels to shreds. Literally. Walls fall down and fireworks… go off.

If I don’t hold quite the same esteem for it as, say, Katamari Damacy, I’ll concede the soundtrack and art were more than decent and well integrated, and it did have a fair bit of creativity with which to reward higher level play. Or extreme button mashing.

3. chuckieegg says:

All hail the hypno-toad!

4. smeaa mario says:

Beautiful and exciting art + a genre that I am not even remotely interested in. Why can’t we have two good things together?

5. Laini says:

No gameplay footage, talk of 6 worlds (does that mean songs?) and a £30 price tag for a digital copy? Sorry, no.

I loved Parappa and for £15-20, like almost every other game on Kickstarter I’d be willing to give it a punt but for that price it’s just not something I’m that interested in sadly.

Still, good luck to them.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

They added in a cheaper tier for a digital copy (20 Queen’s Munnies).

I backed this because I’ve been wanting a game with a good rap battle mechanic for a while.

• Laini says:

Oh sweet, thanks for that.
        It could be amazing but £30 was just a bit too much.
        No problem throwing 20 bucks at it though.