The Surge out today from Lords of the Fallen devs

“The Surge has hacked off a couple of limbs from Dark Souls, but it’s using them to build something a little different rather than leaning its entire weight on them,” Adam said when he played a preview version earlier this year. If that piqued your interest, hey: The Surge [official site] is out today. Our boy Brendan is beating robots to death to build weapons to beat up other robots so he can tell us Wot He Thinks at some point but for now, consider this a reminder of its release.

It’s the future, right, and something something a bad thing happens and you’re stuck in a mechsuit and must fight robots and co-workers who’ve lost their minds. Combat’s quite Dark Souls-y, our Adam said, though upgrades are crafted after carefully lopping bits off enemies. Here, this trailer shows some fisticuffs:

The Surge is made by Deck13, who also co-developed the Dark Souls-inspired Lords of the Fallen. It’s published by Focus Home Interactive, which… look, I don’t know what Brendy’s making of The Surge but Focus Home’s catalogue is largely mid-budget, perfectly average 7/10 action games. This is about what I expect here.

The Surge hits Steam in several hours. A 10% discount will make it £35.99/44,99€/$44.99 at first.

1. Jokerme says:

From what I’ve seen it looks like they’ve learned a lot from their mistakes in Lords of the Fallen. It’s always nice to see more good souls-like games.

• Unclepauly says:

Yeah, I’ve been keeping my eye(the right one) on this game. If they improve enough and learn what it means to be one of these games they’ll have a winner. LotF just wasn’t there but it had the right idea, sort of.

DantronLesotho says:

Really curious about this one. I liked Lords of the Fallen well enough, and this seems like a marked improvement over that. I love the look. I just hope the story holds up.

3. Kingseeker Camargo says:

I’ll probably pick this up whenever the price drops, because I’ll play anything that more or less resembles Dark Souls to pass the time between playtroughs of Dark Souls proper.

No really expecting much, though. I see we still have the problem of the overdesign that made LotF an annoying mess to look at and make out anything of; and we still default to a tanky-style Generico McGruff protagonist, which -at least for me- is quite a downer too, since I tend to favour dex characters and I’m really tired of Macho McDicks wasting valuable game time with their dumb stories.

But yeah, LotF was fun enough to play as its own thing if you just skipped through the cutscenes, so this should be just as fun I guess.

• Unclepauly says:

Hey, my uncle was Macho McDicks, he died of Marlboro Cancer

4. bill says:

It doesn’t seem like a good idea to set a melee combat game in areas so dark that you can’t see what your opponent is doing.

• Walkerz says:

You mean, contrary to DS, that is well-known to be lit as a lighthouse?

• Setheran says:

In the Souls games your character has a light attached to them, so even in the darkest areas you can still see whatever it is you’re in a melee fight with.

So far it looks like they want the combat to be even more precise and unforgiving in this game, so it does seem like a problem that both your character and enemies end up completely invisible in the shadows. This kind of oversight makes me think they still don’t quite get that it’s not a general high difficulty that makes this genre fun.

• Kingseeker Camargo says:

Also, the original Dark Souls was pretty well lit almost all the time. I always appreciated how it managed to keep a creepy and moody atmosphere without having you trip in the fucking shadows all the time (certain tomb of particularly large individuals notwithstanding).

DS 2 and 3 did introduce some annoyingly dark areas for the sake of TEH EDGE, though.

5. zytos says:

Wow this image looks like One Must Fall 2097. One of the my favorite games of my youth.

6. fish99 says:

Obvious problem with this game is the setting: a guy in a mech suit fighting robots in cargo bays. And the bosses are just big robots.
    It just doesn’t fire the imagination like the amazing locations and enemy designs you see with From Software.