Yager’s spaceship ’em up Dreadnought hits open beta

Honking great spaceships are now blasting each other in the newly-launched open beta of Dreadnought [official site]. Made by Spec Ops: The Line studio Yager, it’s a multiplayer class-based shooter were folks play as capital-class spaceships. You know, the big ones. After a year in closed beta testing, now it’s open to all who sign up over here with publishers Grey Box.

I’ve not had a crack yet myself so here’s the official blurb:

“Dreadnought puts players in command of massive capital ships on the front lines of tactical team battles across a variety of competitive online multiplayer modes. Captains must master their vessels and work together to succeed, utilizing their team’s strengths while exploiting the enemy’s weaknesses. There are more than 50 playable ships, spread across five distinct classes, that players can choose from to build their fleets. From close-quarters combat to long-range assault and strategic support, each vessel is designed to bring unique specializations to the fight and can be further customized with an array of weapons, modules, coatings and decals.”

The open beta is run as free-to-play, selling cosmetic doodads, experience boosters, and ‘hero ships‘.

How about you, gang – have you had a bash? What’s it like?

The jump to open beta has brought a new updae with a new map set around an orbital space elevator hub, two new variants of existing maps, more cosmetic options, balance tweaks, and bug fixes.

A fancy new CGI trailer marks the open beta launch but tch, that’s not much use to anyone. Instead, check out last week’s official community livestream for actual action:

1. JarinArenos says:

Another game desperately begging for a campaign mode, by a company without the resources to develop one. :(

• mitthrawnuruodo says:

Yeah. I feel the same. When the game was originally announced, they mentioned an episodic non-free2play Single Player campaign. It was in the official FAQ as well. Sometime between now and then, they seem to have changed their minds, and removed it from the FAQ.

PvP is easy money. Story-based campaigns are not sadly.

• Ghostwise says:

Yep. “Games as a service” is rather solidly established by now.

• gabrielonuris says:

It has been years by now that I really believe that the lack of single player campaigns in some games directly relates with a grudge in developing a proper AI and/or a well written plot.

We still didn’t see a better AI than the one in F.E.A.R., and that game was released almost 12 years ago.

• Unclepauly says:

That is getting bandied about recently but there’s been a few games that have matched or beaten it since. Not many though, I will agree to that.

• Tortellini says:

Got the dreadnought key access, downloaded it, launched, servers were down, tried tomorrow, was also down. Still got it on my machine, haven’t started it from then. Will wait for a full release to check it out. Meanwhile, Everspace is getting out soon (not sure if it has any real campaign), endless space 2 also coming out, they usually have good lore about their games, and Starpoint Warlords in a few days as well, they’ve covered both campaign and sandbox cap ship action/4x.

2. natebud says:

But does the character creator have a jinco jeans option?

3. swissmbr says:

Unlocked all 2nd tier ships and enjoying it so far. There are some quite epic moments. Flanking an enemy, using the jump drive to close in and fire a broadside at the enemy cruisers feels great.

4. LearningToSmile says:

It might be a good game for all it’s worth, but that doesn’t really matter to me. Their biggest mistake was making a cinematic trailer promising a game so good it could never be matched in reality: link to youtube.com
    The sheer sense of scale in the dreadnought reveal gave me chills – and the gameplay conveys precisely none of it. It couldn’t really, with the constraints of being a multiplayer shooter.

People say Dead Island had a misleading trailer, but for me Dreadnought is by far the biggest offender.

I think I’m going to go re-watch it again and daydream of a game that it was never meant to be.

• Rindan says:

I am with you. I loved that trailer. I had such high hopes. I was imagining controlling big weighty beasts, probably from the bridge. Instead, you have a tactical arena shootering thing. That is a type of a thing, but just not the thing I wanted. I look at this game and ask why I should play it over Overwatch. Overwatch scratches my tactical group fight itch while giving my FPS murder killy twitch side something to gnaw on. This scratches basically the same itch, but probably isn’t going to be done with half the care of balance as Overwatch. It has no single player to consume, and even if it did, I think it would be underwhelming with the type of third person playing with your toy ship feel that it has.

When is someone going to do a good game where where you play as the captain of or command a big capital ship/spaceship/whatever, and you FEEL like you are commanding a big ass weighty ship?

5. mechavolt says:

All I want from a space game is Elite: Dangerous with a narrative and meaningful goals to pursue. Why can’t I have this thing?

6. racccoon says:

Exceptional skills in modelling, but not a game, just a room based limited one. Its a shame they couldn’t code any further and make a real game out of this.

7. BaronKreight says:

Good game really. But they followed the practice of Wargaming and are forcing you to pay or to play the ships you don’t want to play.

MajorLag says:

PvP* should not gate the player, or give a new player a disadvantage against a more experienced one that comes from anything other than the skill gap. “Unlocks” are stupid and annoying and seriously stop doing that shit you assholes.

*MMOs are an exception to this for obvious reasons.

9. Walsh says:

Fractured Space called, they want their game back, only Fractured Space did it right, you could do the F2P “grind your way to a new ship” route or just pay $40 (base game is free) and unlock all 31 ships.

It looks like ships cost at least ~$20 in this game, which is ridiculous. I’m too lazy to calculate it because they do that arbitrary in game currency per dollar thing. Oh well.

10. Swartan says:

As long they do not change the maintenace cost, the game will be a chore of grinding money.It is just not fun seeing your money fade away because you had the bad luck of playing with bad players for a couple of matches.
    And the progression feels like it takes forever at higher ranks.
    If you do not buy thier “money boosts” the game is not that fun to play.