RPS Asks: Blendoku-a-likes you know and love?

Blendoku 2

Hello RPS hive-friends. Help a girl out, would you? I have pretty much mined out the colour-picking puzzle games Blendoku and Blendoku 2 [official site] on my mobile telephone and I’m trying to find another title to scratch that itch, preferably on PC so I can pass it off as “work”!

Blendoku and its sequel work by having you place coloured tiles to form gradients across a grid. It starts off with straightforward things like red blending to yellow via some different orangey tiles but then you end up with far more subtle puzzles which rely on you figuring out whether a purple-y grey tile is a bit greener than another purple-y grey tile. It reminded me of the colour picker challenges which sometimes rear their heads and spread over social media for a moment – you get a lot of tiles of one colour and have to identify the one which is a slightly different shade.

Picking out colour is something I find intensely pleasurable and I’m also pretty good at it so these puzzles have been delightful. There are a couple of similar games on phone but they tend to be far easier, more about relaxation or fidgeting than puzzling. They also tend to gate your progress in a far more aggressive way, forcing you to watch ads or pay if you want to unlock more puzzles. On PC the selection seems limited to a few truly lacklustre projects on free sites, the colour picker games, and the emulators which would let me play Blendoku again but on PC.

I’m not interested in tile-matching without the colour gradient mechanic (not for the purposes of this post, anyway), so this isn’t about seeking out tile puzzles or even other types of colour matching game. I specifically want to know if anyone has seen any Blendoku-likes on their PC travels! I’m dangerously close to perfect scores and better-than-world-average timings on every Blendoku 2 puzzle and I can only spin this out so long…

See also: Color Picker and Color. I can’t click those links because I can’t be trusted. I’m not actually kidding.

From this site

Tom-INH says:

I haven’t tried Blendoku (installing it on my phone now) but I Love Hue on mobile seems similar?

2. Stinnaz says:

Argh! What have you done?! I haven’t played any of these, but now (thanks to you) I know that:

A: Such things exist
    B: I CAN ACCESS COLOR (sic) FROM WORK!!!!!!!

p.s. Sorry – I’m not helping am I?
    p.p.s. I now need to know your best score on Color…

3. RaunakS says:

Well I asked some students at my lab and they pointed me to this dodgy looking website:

link to 8iz.com

But the game does seem fairly similar to what you asked, so I hope it helps.

I also hope it doesn’t download ransomwares to Castle Shotgun. That would be bad.

4. DingDongDaddio says:

Well thanks for the heads up on Blendoku! Installed the first one on my phone earlier today and I’m very intrigued. Discerning colors in to gradients really appeals to me for some reason.

Definitely appreciating how little it’s bugged me so far too. The banner ads are so small and out of the way I didn’t even realize they were there at first and I’ve only been interrupted once to ask me to rate the game. I didn’t even get prompted to allow access to any info on my phone either!

5. Bdubbs says:

Made an account just to help with this question, as I am a huge Blendoku fan as well. Just like the Blendoku siblings, there is actually a third game in the series called Bendoku. It was made in collaboration with the Benjamin Moore paint company I believe. Just as good as the other two, only branded.

Cheers!

6. fooyee says:

As one of the developers of Blendoku, it makes me happy that you’ve enjoyed the game so much.

Unfortunately, the game wasn’t a success monetarily. There’s a reason why most games use aggressive gating and ad tactics. Even Rod and I can’t justify making another game like Blendoku 2.

That being said, we have a final update coming out in a couple of weeks that adds some new levels, so that should keep you busy for a little bit longer.

Yeong Hao Han