CrossCells! A new game from the brain behind Hexcells!

CrossCells

Today is a day of great rejoicing in the village (and by “village” I mean “amongst John and me and any other right-minded puzzle-loving individual”) because Matthew Brown of Hexcells fame has another game on the way. This one is called CrossCells [Steam page] and offers up a new variant of Brown’s trademark minimalist logic.

I’m actually playing it at the moment so we can get a review in place for when the game goes up for sale on 26 May but the basic gist is that you wrestle with the snippets of info he gives you about what the row or column’s remaining tiles should add up to or how many need to be filled in so that you can complete each board.

I say that you wrestle but it’s more about a mental tussle where you’re applying the logic of the numbers in various ways as you find footholds in the game.

If you’ve played Hexcells or SquareCells you’ll have a good idea of how CrossCells progresses but if not I think I’d describe this particular iteration as sharing DNA with Sudoku. In particular I’m thinking of the type of Sudoku where within the 3×3 grids you also have smaller shapes where numbers can’t repeat within their borders. It’s that kind of layered logic.

If it helps give you an idea of the scope of the game I’m most of the way through the 50 levels after a few hours (with Riverdale on in the background). There are some oddities with the interface which I’ll ponder, and I want to compare how John and I get on so I get a better idea of how people who aren’t me get on with it. But good lord I was giddy when it showed up in my inbox this morning and clearly it has pushed everything else I was supposed to be doing right off my desk!

You can tell Adam that I am not sorry.

CrossCells is out on 26 May for Windows, Mac and Linux and should cost £2/€3/$3.

From this site

1. Talahar says:

Every time I see crude MS paint scribbles in an RPS header image I have to smile, because that means it’s a Pip story. What can I say, I do enjoy your writing…. :)

particlese says:

That, combined with John being the one whose articles introduced me to Hexcells in the first place, had me going, “Ehhhhh?! John didn’t scoop up the scoop on a new Matt Brown game?”

Anyway, neither Pip nor John could have said it any better: YAY! :D

2. meepmeep says:

YAY!

(also, that type of Sudoku is normally known as Killer Sudoku, and is superior in every way)

3. A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

‘Yay!’ indeed. According to Steam I have only 100% achievemented two games in my vast collection – Hexcells and Hexcells Plus (still working on Infinite!).

Such awesome puzzle games, can’t wait to try this.

4. Assaf says:

Awesome. I enjoyed the Hexcells games very much. The Squarecells game less so, but I’m excited to see what Matthew has in store for us.

• Brotoles says:

I also didn’t enjoy Squarecells as much as Hexcells.. The game is less challenging, and the puzzles aren’t as fantastic as Hexcells ones…

But I’m still pretty excited for CrossCells, day 1 buy for me, especially at this price

Yay indeed! :-)

5. Marclev says:

According to Steam this game will unlock in 8 days, which is awesome because I didn’t even know it was coming out!

Instant buy I feel, loved Hexcells (all 3 of them) and Squarecells.

alphager says:

Adding to the chorus of “Yay!”.

Also, thank you for covering niche puzzle games. My wife isn’t much of a gamer, but loves things like Hexcells or Simon Tatham’s Portable Puzzle Collection (which you should take a look at, Pip! They’re not as polished, but they are free). Whenever a puzzle game is good enough to get reviewed here, I buy it for her.

Comment on this story