Gwent open beta begins next Wednesday

Oh Witcherful day! A Netflix show based on the original books is in the works, we heard this morning, and this afternoon game developers CD Projekt RED announced that Gwent: The Witcher Card Game [official site] will enter open beta on May 24th. That’s next Wednesday! Gwent is, of course, a standalone, free-to-play spin-off of the card battle game CD Projekt made within The Witcher 3. This time, it’ll come without the nagging feeling that you really should be off slaying devilish beasts and saving the world rather than gambling for pocket change in taverns.

We had a quick look during closed beta in November and yup, it sure is Gwent. It’s not quite Gwent as it exists within The Witcher 3, mind. It’s been rebalanced and reworked a bit to be more interesting and less, y’know, about cramming all of the super-powerful cards into any deck.

I’ve not got around to playing the beta myself yet but might have a crack now. I played so very much Gwent in The Witcher 3 but that was a diversion during a huge and beautiful world rather than the whole game in itself, so I’m curious to see how it feels standalone.

Gwent in its current state is focused on competitive multiplayer but a singleplayer campaign is planned too.

CD Projekt RED will wipe the progress and collections of everyone who has played in the closed beta test, so everyone will start out even. Closed beta players will receive some packs of cards as a thank-you bonus. Those who have bought packs (or ‘Card Kegs’, to use the lingo) using real money will receive an equivalent number of new packs.

From this site

Ninja Dodo says:

Little sad they’re going to reset the cards… was starting to like my collection.

I’ve been enjoying the beta. It’s a very different game from the original version in Witcher 3, a lot more layers to it, and harder to get into I think, but it’s pretty fun once you get the hang of it.

2. SaintAn says:

Sadly it’s terrible. Their first big failure. Gwent has nothing to do with the Gwent people wanted from Witcher 3.

• Coming Second says:

Care to elaborate? I gave it a spin in the closed beta and it seems just like the in-game Gwent, just rather more expansive.

• SaunteringLion says:

“Wrong! Another mistake.”

The core mechanics are loved by most of the playerbase, judging by the forums, rising player numbers, and reddit. The only consistent complaints have been since the last new content was added and the length to get to Open Beta.

Gwent in Wild Hunt, while fun, was a completely unbalanced mess of who had more spies and a decoy and could lay down the strongest units.

3. Hunchback says:

Ah, great news, finally! It’s been ages since the last big patch and if they are not lying (which i doubt they are) the open-beta patch will be HUUUGE.

I am glad i finally managed to hit Rank 4 with my silly sub-meta deck yesterday! They will be giving free kegs based on the rank and level you’ve reached during closed beta.

And tbh, out of all the card games out there currently, Gwent is to best (to me). No time to explain why, gotta bounce to work, but i have played practically every (T)DCG out there to different extents and i finally feel more “at home” with Gwent. Hope the project goes well in the future!

• SaunteringLion says:

I watched the stream yesterday and the changes are immense. Some important ones off the top of my head: new units, for every faction. New art. Every card will have a Premium version next week. New currency you can acquire by milling or playing which will upgrade any card to Premium.

A bunch of new mechanics. Northern Realms has had a huge overhaul and will revolve around machines, and the new mechanic Armor. Nilfgaard has had almost as extensive a rework, Reveal looks super viable now.

Leaders are now legendary, put a body on the board, and are all acquired for free in the new Challenge mode. And some other minor stuff. It’s wild.

Comment on this story