Ding ding! Cities: Skylines Mass Transit DLC arrives

A new expansion for Cities: Skylines [official site], named Mass Transit, has arrived to expand the city-building manage ’em up’s public transport. The expansion adds ferries, monorails, cable cars, and — for those building modernist cities of tomorrow — blimps, along with new transport-y challenges, new policies, new road types, and new canal bits. Aw, it’s not for you. It’s more of a Shelbyville expansion.

As I was saying, Mass Transit is out for £10.49/12,99€/$12.99 on Steam.

Alongside the expansion, Colossal Order have released a free update adding features for everyone. These include naming roads, more tools to help understand your public transport, and one-way train tracks. The update also rolls in several features found in mods, such as the abilities to make rails stations only for local trains, to set stop signs at intersections, and to toggle traffic lights at intersections. See version 1.7.0’s patch notes for more details.

The base game is on sale right now too, with a 67% discount making it £7.36/8,96€/$9.60 on Steam until Monday.

It’s handy, being the god-emperor of a city (or perhaps a sentient nanotech city?), able to conjure infrastructure from thin air. Edinburgh’s newfangled trams ran years behind schedule and several hundred million pounds over budget, even after several planned lines were cut – not to mention the nuisance caused by closing some of the city’s main roads during construction. Now plans to extend into Leith are being raised again and someone’s hanging crocheted “LEITH SAYS NO TO TRAMS” banners on railings around the neighbourhood. Consider yourself lucky, virtual godcity.

1. ColonelFlanders says:

A little bit of info for moddy people: pleasingly, most of the mods seem unbroken. The only big deal ones which aren’t updated yet are 81 Tiles for which an update is imminent, and Traffic Manager: President Edition, which the developer expects to roll out an update for in the next half hour.

Other broken (but not essential imo) mods are Improved Public Transport, Dynamic Resolution, which for me just loads a blank map, and finally the Loading Screen Mod, which might as well be deprecated now since CO seem to have implemented the improved load order to the base game now.

• Retorrent says:

As of my typing this 81 tiles has been fixed and is now working.

• Blad the impaler says:

Improved Public Transit has a sequel now and it works. Seriously, the modders for C:S are on top of it in a way I’ve never seen before.

• ColonelFlanders says:

Indeed. They are a superb community. To be perfectly honest I’m unsurprised; the nature of SIM games like this is bound to attract detail oriented people lime programmers etc. As least that’s like, my opinion man.

• LewdPenguin says:

I’ve not spent any time really looking at the wider modding scene for C:S since I only use a couple myself, but is this a result of the developers actually supporting modders properly and getting code into their hands prior to release?
        Lots of companies talk about supporting and working with mod communities, then all they do is post an incomplete list of stuff they think they might have changed a few days before a patch goes up, and the first time anyone gets to actually see/work with the new code is after it goes live for everyone. If modders (or at least the better known ones) were included in the loop for internal test versions it would’ve let them get much of the work updating their mods done beforehand, or at least have first hand knowledge of what they’ll have to do once the final version lands. It’s surely also a bonus having more people that’re intimately familiar with your games workings providing free feedback and bugreports, alongside a happier playerbase because the mods they like are being kept updated super promptly.

2. rodan32 says:

*sigh* Here’s my money. Let’s get that installed!

3. Tachanka says:

But Alice! I think they should extend the tram, to Leith, Granton and to Muirhouse like they planned to originally!

• Alice O'Connor says:

To ‘heck’ with it! Let’s take ’em northward to the Forth Bridge too. We’ll ride these babies all the way to FIFE.

• Alice O'Connor says:

(I have not formed an opinion on The Trams beyond: I enjoy hearing people cry “The Trams!” whenever The Trams are mentioned.)

• Ross Angus says:

I really like the “bong!” noise they make.

• gunny1993 says:

My friend dislikes them because “They’re too quite, and sneak up on you”. So I’ve taken to taking photos of them and sending them to her any time I’m on princes street.

• Sawt0oth says:

{-}7 My Lord you forced me to log-in to state my surprise at Lord Chanka noticing my home and our woeful trams.

4. Drib says:

I live in the American southeast. What is this ‘mass transit’ you speak of?

• ColonelFlanders says:

It’s the thing you had to use when the i85 fell over.

• jroger says:

It’s like a plane. On the ground. Which only goes across the city, instead of across the country.

• Cvnk says:

“Scooters”, they’re called down there.

Wait. That might be massive transit.

5. R. Totale says:

I call the big one Bitey.